Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Remove The Rear Shock Bolt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
The nut comes off ok but the driver side rear shock bolt on the trailing arm is rusted solid and I can't get it off. Tried some heat, liquid wrench, hammer+drift (made the biggest impression on my hand when I missed...), and a pipe wrench. The pipe wrench sorta rounded the head a bit, but no movement? How do I remove this?

I was going to remove the trailing arm (with shock attached) and see if my local machine shop can press it off. Not sure if they can or it would damage the trailing arm.

Also thought about grinding off the head, removing the shock, then taking it to the machine shop for pressing.

HELP!! headbang.gif

Thanks,
Spoke
Mueller
bigger hammer??? not a claw hammer, get a real 3 or 5 pound sledge hammer....

put the nut back on it to help protect the threads when you are smacking it smash.gif
rhodyguy
hose it down with AeroKroil, repeatedly.

k
Dave_Darling
It shouldn't be threaded in there, so a wrench is not going to help matters (unless you feel it will break the rust bond between the bolt and the trailing arm). I have always just tapped it with a hammer, but the bolts on my car were not rusted in place... sad.gif

GABH--Get A Bigger Hammer. Also keep trying the heat. Replace the bolt; it is almost certainly too messed up to re-use already.

--DD
Spoke
Thanks for the tips.

About "AeroKroil", can I get this from Pep Boys or other local auto supply, or is this mail order only? If ordering off the web, got any place you like?

About the GABH, it scares me to pound the bolt with the trailing arm on the car for fear of breaking something I didn't want to fix like the half shaft or bushings. Do I take the trailing arm off of the car to pound?

Thanks,
Spoke
Mueller
QUOTE (Spoke @ Feb 22 2005, 07:07 PM)
Thanks for the tips.

About "AeroKroil", can I get this from Pep Boys or other local auto supply, or is this mail order only? If ordering off the web, got any place you like?

About the GABH, it scares me to pound the bolt with the trailing arm on the car for fear of breaking something I didn't want to fix like the half shaft or bushings. Do I take the trailing arm off of the car to pound?

Thanks,
Spoke

another decent thread penetrant is PB Blaster..you should be able to find something local that comes in a spray can.

the trailing arms can take quite a bit of abuse...can you take a picture of the offending parts???
Cap'n Krusty
www.kanolabs.com
Only place to get it. Might wanna try Silikroil. Supposed to be even better. They have all kinds of deals running at any given time. Their Floway degreaser is unbelievable, puts that Castrol cr*p in the weeds.
Brando
cheapest solution = Coca Cola and a torch.

Soak it in coke for about 5-10 minutes. Then heat it up till it's starting to barely glow red. Let it cool, douse with coke... let it cool, try to take it off. Had to do that on '73 911RS front balljoints. ugh, those are a PITA to get off because there's no preventative coating on the old hardware...
Joe Bob
Grease them up when you finally get them out and re-install.....
riverman
I had this same problem about a week ago and I got mine off. I soaked the threads in penetrating oil and left it overnight. Then I put a 27mm closed end wrench on the nut and then whacked the wrench with a big rubber mallet. Every time I hit it, the nut squeaked a little and I wasn't sure it was coming off, but it eventually did.
rhodyguy
there is an over the counter vendor in tacoma but the kano site ships quick. think the special i got was 2nd can for 1/2 off and they threw in a small tool box size can. also after you spray on if you rapidly tap on the bolt the vibrations seem to help the penetrant to work in faster.

k
Spoke
OK, I ordered Silikroil from the KanoLabs site and I'll get a free can of AeroKroil in the process. Can't wait to start pounding away. smash.gif

Thanks again for the help,

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.