Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
We've found the problem to the starting issues... There's a 15 amp fuse on the wiring to the starter solenoid that keeps blowing out when we try and start it...blink.gif
Where do we look now? Oh and there's a starter relay kit installed...
mrihop
If you have a car with the seat belt warning system under the passenger seat, by now it's probably been bypassed. If they didn't do a clean job, it could be shorting out in there. Pull the passenger seat out and check there.
Hammy
I don't think i even have the wiring for the seatbelt safety system.. Will the fuel pump still turn on when I turn on the ignition if it's the seatbelt system that is preventing it from starting? Or will the seatbelt system make nothing happen when the key is turned?
Mueller
QUOTE (Hammy @ Feb 22 2005, 05:43 PM)
We've found the problem to the starting issues... There's a 15 amp fuse on the wiring to the starter solenoid that keeps blowing out when we try and start it...blink.gif
Where do we look now? Oh and there's a starter relay kit installed...

good chance something is grounding out....get your digital voltmeter and start looking for continuity from one side or the other of the circuit to ground....the haynes manual should be able to narrow down what wires to look for.

I'd start with the wires attached to the starter and work your way forward
Dave_Darling
There should be no fuse in the starting circuit. Something else is going on here... Not sure what, though.

--DD
mrihop
QUOTE (Hammy @ Feb 22 2005, 05:03 PM)
I don't think i even have the wiring for the seatbelt safety system.. Will the fuel pump still turn on when I turn on the ignition if it's the seatbelt system that is preventing it from starting? Or will the seatbelt system make nothing happen when the key is turned?

The fuel pump will turn on with just the key unless you have a 1.8 FI engine.
mrihop
Check the ground strap to your tranny. I almost always forget that will keep your starter from working too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.