Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 HUB borrow for CAD Modeling?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
Does anyone have a spare 911/911SC front Hub I can borrow to CAD model? Better yet, anyone already done and willing to share the file or measurements?

I'd be happy to pay postage and return within a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Brian

Penngrove, CA
Mueller
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jun 5 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Does anyone have a spare 911/911SC front Hub I can borrow to CAD model? Better yet, anyone already done and willing to share the file or measurements?

Thanks

Brian

Penngrove, CA

I just bought a pair for this same exact thing...I hope to get them soon...which reminds me that I need to PM the guy for a tracking number smile.gif
TravisNeff
I have a spare that the races are a little buggered up, yours for shipping charges.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 5 2015, 02:42 PM) *

I have a spare that the races are a little buggered up, yours for shipping charges.

Pm sent. Thanks Travis!
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 5 2015, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jun 5 2015, 01:56 PM) *

Thanks

Brian

Penngrove, CA

I just bought a pair for this same exact thing...I hope to get them soon...which reminds me that I need to PM the guy for a tracking number smile.gif

Okay Mike,

A cad modeling race!!??? wink.gif

I'll let you know when I have it and we can do a nerd battle Royale!
914Timo
I have done this about 20 years ago. Not sure it is 100% accurate. Hope this helps somebody.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(914Timo @ Jun 7 2015, 10:24 AM) *

I have done this about 20 years ago. Not sure it is 100% accurate. Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks...it is always good to have someone else with some numbers so as to verify.

I got my hubs yesterday, but boy are they dirty so I have to clean them up 1st.

Brian you have a stock 914 front hub to measure? I don't have right now...

When I get some more real numbers we can compare.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
There are two 911 hub types wirh different heights. One uses an "inney" grease,cap and the other an "outey" cap. Actually four part numbers with 1r, 2r, 3r, or 4r ending the number.
Are you going to reproduce them? Getting harder find used ones. Prices are about $200 plus per pair.
r_towle
Whatcha doin?
Making a decent five lug setup for the front with vented rotors??? Hmm?

Chris914n6
5 lug & 911 rotors on 914 struts?

Wait, do 911 calipers fit 914 struts?

If not then BMW calipers and solid rotors biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2015, 08:37 PM) *

Whatcha doin?

I'm toying with making a set 5 lug hubs to fit my 914 struts..with a twist, they will have the 930 hub offset which are about 1" or 25mm wider. Current setup on my car is re-drilled stock 4 hubs with 1" spacers.

Mueller
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 7 2015, 07:48 PM) *

There are two 911 hub types wirh different heights. One uses an "inney" grease,cap and the other an "outey" cap. Actually four part numbers with 1r, 2r, 3r, or 4r ending the number.
Are you going to reproduce them? Getting harder find used ones. Prices are about $200 plus per pair.

Found these from Patrick Motorsports...

930 front hubs

Not cheap!

Mueller
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 7 2015, 07:48 PM) *

Not really sure of the true demand, I imagine there are people/shops that are hoarding some of this stuff so the parts are out there.

I'm not going to put too much effort into it, I do have a line on a shop that is owned and operated by a machinist here at work that does side jobs, his prices are really good since his building and all equipment is paid for. He mostly just does jobs for money to put into his V6 MG project and other toys, we can also do some bartering, he wants me to put together the electrical portion of his shopping list for a large powder coating oven he is fabricating. I imagine I'll also be doing the install of the controllers and wiring it up so that will help on the price.

I'll have to figure out which version hubs I have and then figure out what is forward/backward compatible and such.

Material alone, a quick estimate is $40-50 a hub in raw stock, hopefully if we go thru with this we can get it much cheaper!

Brian Mifsud

Click to view attachment

Thanks for this. Will help in verifying/comparing to the hub I'm getting.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2015, 08:37 PM) *

Whatcha doin?

Several ideas...

my 6" lathe may be the limitation so until I fab one, no counting chickens....
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 7 2015, 11:33 AM) *

My front wheel bearings are bad, so I've got to pull the rotors and measure all the goodies including the whole spindle.

Brian you have a stock 914 front hub to measure? I don't have right now...

When I get some more real numbers we can compare.

Click to view attachment

My front wheel bearings are bad, so I've got to pull the rotors and measure all the goodies including the whole spindle.

Mueller
How is your hub measuring going?

I still need to grab the exact bearing race dimensions from a catalog to finalize the race bore dimensions...if I remember correctly the shrink fit is .001" per 1" diameter, will have to verify that as well.

I might get some pricing, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a set, I doubt it will happen on my end, I don't have that kind of investment capitol for something that'll be sitting on a shelf.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 10 2015, 01:03 PM) *

How is your hub measuring going?

Not badly. Have it 3/4 modeled. With all the material that has to be machined away, I've been looking at manufacturability.

Also been looking at another approach for our cars and others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.