Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 1.7 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
Soooooooooo, now that I have a oil temp dip stick, whats to hot 4 this 1.7 stock engine. I drove it to Prescott and back today, bout 60 miles. When I got home it was at 185 degrees. It was like 88 degrees out side. Is this ok, and what's to hot. Just want to have a understanding since I never new what temp is good and bad.
Dave_Darling
Below 180F is too cold. 250F is "too damn hot". I prefer 212F, but others like 180-185F as a normal operating temp.

--DD
cpavlenko
Cool, thanks 4 the info.
boxsterfan
My 2.0L has a sticker in the engine bay saying 186 F is the proper operating temp. I think anything 185-210 is good.
Hank914
So how does oil temp relate to cylinder head temp?

I think the temp reader fits under the spark plug, but I might be wrong on that.
euro911
Head temperature readings are going to be much hotter. An aftermarket single sensor type usually goes under the plug in the hottest cylinder (#3). Some folks run sensors on all 4 locations.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 5 2015, 08:55 PM) *
My 2.0L has a sticker in the engine bay saying 186 F is the proper operating temp.

Pic please? I wonder who made the sticker...

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:22 PM) *

They don't really relate. Oil temps are affected strongly by RPMs and air flow into/through the engine bay. Head temps are strongly affected by mixture and load. Depending on the gauge, head temps of 350F are normal, 425F would be in the too hot range.

The stock sender for head temps is only useful for the fuel injection. It's in a part of the head that reacts more slowly to temp changes than the critical areas, so it isn't a great location for a gauge sender. It also works on a different principle than the ring-type sender that goes under the spark plug, producing a completely different signal.

--DD
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 6 2015, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 5 2015, 08:55 PM) *
My 2.0L has a sticker in the engine bay saying 186 F is the proper operating temp.

Pic please? I wonder who made the sticker...

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:22 PM) *

They don't really relate. Oil temps are affected strongly by RPMs and air flow into/through the engine bay. Head temps are strongly affected by mixture and load. Depending on the gauge, head temps of 350F are normal, 425F would be in the too hot range.

The stock sender for head temps is only useful for the fuel injection. It's in a part of the head that reacts more slowly to temp changes than the critical areas, so it isn't a great location for a gauge sender. It also works on a different principle than the ring-type sender that goes under the spark plug, producing a completely different signal.

--DD

Mine has a VW sticker on the left side of engine bay. I was wrong on the temps it says though. It says: 122-158 degrees F.

I learned how to take pics here at 914World.

cpavlenko
I think I need new spectacles to read that sticker picture. blink.gif
euro911
122-158 degrees F? WTF.gif

Mine hits 100° higher than that confused24.gif
boxsterfan
OK, one more pic hopefully better. Rust included in upper left corner.
boxsterfan
As is evident by my pic, all of your motors run way too hot!! blink.gif
914Mels
I think the oil temp part of the emissions sticker is for a guide line when setting fuel mixture, the engine is warmed up but not running overly hot. I'm sure it was required to have a standard measurement range just for the emissions certification.
cpavlenko
agree.gif
euro911
Still, I think I'm going to install an external cooler idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.