Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting of trunks and engine compartments to match exterior?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
I am currently in the process of re-doing my V8 conversion and have prepped the trunks and engine compartment for paint. I was originally going to paint them black satin but since I will be painting the exterior after I put on get steel flares later this year I was wondering if the value of the car was greatly appreciated by having the paint match. I will be painting the car a different color than the original color as well. I appreciate the help.Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Do whatever pleases you. Since the car isn't bone stock, the whole value equation is out the window.
mepstein
Because 914's were originally painted all one color, inside and out, keeping it all one color will appeal to the majority of 914 guys. I don't happen to like trunks painted black. Makes me think there were problems that the PO tried to cover up. But like it's been said, it's your car....

Big Len has a car with black painted trunks and it wins concorse events so what do I know. biggrin.gif

Also, a v8 conversion gets its value by the quality of the conversion and the build and finish. Origional paint color has no importance once you drop in a non Porsche engine.
sean_v8_914
black engine bay will be dark. i like to see my engine not hide it. but it is your dream to live
Johny Blackstain
I think matching the trunks/engine bay color to the exterior looks better, however over the years I've noticed I don't care for dark engine compartments. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but even on a black car I'd like the engine bay to be white so I can see everything clearly & nothing stays hidden. Probably would look stupid overall (black exterior & white engine bay), but as I said I'm getting older. dry.gif
Big Len
Agree with Mark.

With the conversion, I doubt if it makes any difference.

Mine are gloss black.
Cuda911
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 6 2015, 08:11 AM) *

Agree with Mark.

I'd go a bit stronger and postulate that it makes ZERO difference for this car.

Try to imagine the scenario where he is trying to sell it, and just can't come to price agreement with the buyer due to the color of the engine bay. Ain't gonna happen.
Andyrew
Personally I like a body colored engine bay. As for trunks they should be body colored but for durability you can use anything. A rynoliner actually is pretty neat as a trunk and hides imperfections fairly well.
tomrev
Exterior color for both, even ignoring the $$ of a V-8 future sale. Whoever looks it over will think it's a more proper car/build, done by someone who was knowledgable about 914's.
Gearup
Thanks Gentlemen. I'm still trying to figure out what color to paint the car but am leaning towards silver. I might start a thread of my project somewhere on this site. It started with a misrepresented 914 v8 on EBay. I didn't do proper due diligence and paid heavily. The stop leak worked till I got the car home and it was leaking like a sieve. Oh, and got really sick when the heater was drawing air from the engine compartment which had lots of exhaust leaks. It's been 4 years and I am going through the car completely. New Chevy 283, new Brad Mayuer rebuilt tranny, heavy duty axles, Yada, yada ,yada. The one good thing about taking my time as I have gotten some great deals on parts at a fraction of the cost. I have no idea how people pay retail for these projects without breaking the bank.
Chris914n6
All the same color looks planned and gives a better impression. It looks like a quick convenient respray if it's different. Black may be the exception as it's fairly common, which I'm hoping for as my car is getting resprayed in it's original black but with a better outside color.
Gearup
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Jun 6 2015, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 6 2015, 08:11 AM) *

Agree with Mark.

I'd go a bit stronger and postulate that it makes ZERO difference for this car.

Try to imagine the scenario where he is trying to sell it, and just can't come to price agreement with the buyer due to the color of the engine bay. Ain't gonna happen.

Hey Cuda,
I grew up in Solana Beach and went to Torrey Pines High School. How is Oceanside these days? I keep seeing a gentleman in Oceanside on Craigslist who has a lot of Porsche parts for sale and wanted to go see his stash. Ring any bells? Brett
Cairo94507
Engine and trunks, IMHO, should be same as the body - I agree with others who have said it raises flags when they are black (unless the car is black) because black tends to hide stuff. Even though you are doing a V-8, I still think the stock look in the trunks and engine bay increases the desirability of the car. Nice project- slow and steady always wins the race.
Spoke
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 6 2015, 05:27 PM) *

Engine and trunks, IMHO, should be same as the body

agree.gif

Good luck with your car. Looks like you're doing it right. BTW, you're not the first person to buy a car that wasn't what it was advertised as. All 914's are said to be rust free when you buy them.
steuspeed
+1 for body color. Looks better plus it's pretty dark in there already.
Gearup
Thanks guys....
JRust
Body color for sure. No problem with color change. Do what you like to it. Especially when you have a conversion. My suby conversion is Synergy Grren from a 2010 Camaro. I get nothing but compliments on it. So pick a color you love. I had an accident & need to repaint some. Not considering changing the color at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.