Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix and coils
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Old Yella
Can anyone tell me if you can run your old coil with the Pertronix ignitorII, or do you have to also have the Flame thrower II coil.

Thanks in advance.

euro911
I'm using a standard Bosch 'Blue' coil. Just need to make sure the primary coil is the correct resistance the Pertronix requires (I think it's 3.5 ohms, but don't quote me)
larryM
go here
Pertronix Instructions

and especially here - pertronix Secrets

your old oem coil kicks about 25K volts

a flamethrower is 40K as i recall

depends if you are going to enlarge the spark gap or run high compression, etc
Java2570
Ignitor II takes the 0.6 ohm coil and needs spiral wound plug wires, not standard wires.
Regular Ignitor unit can use the 3.0 ohm Bosch coils or Flamethrower.
stugray
You can use any coil you want with the Ignitor II down to 0.45 Ohms.

Anything of greater resistance, like the stock 3.0 -5.0 Ohm, is ok just not optimal (less spark).

RECOMMENDED FLAME-THROWER COILS
COIL # PRIMARY RESISTANCE DESCRIPTION
45001 0.6 CHROME - OIL FILLED
45011 0.6 BLACK - OIL FILLED
45111 0.6 EPOXY
60104 0.45 HV

The Ignitor II ignition can be used in conjunction with most ignition coils rated at 0.45
ohms or greater. For optimum performance purchase and install the Flamethrower II
high performance coil.

They say you MUST use non-solid core wires however:

• DO NOT USE SOLID CORE SPARK PLUG WIRES.

This is because the Pertronix makes a lot more EMI noise and the coil wires will help suppress that.
I used MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wire and made my own wires.
Old Yella
Thanks, I'm helping a friend fit a Pertronix and we couldn't find the old model for non vacuum dizzys. So opted for the pertronixII. Now we have all these extra costs. Me thinks that's why the 1847 is no longer listed on the P----an site. Not that I think any vendor would make you spend a load of money unnecessarily.

Anyway I'll ring them and if we can get away with the poverty Pertronix we will.
PancakePorsche
Use tried and true blue Bosch. I have a spare if you want it for free.
Bill's Racing 914
PM sent
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.