Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comments on a '76 2.0L i found
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me
PICS TAKEN DOWN, MY APOLOGY.

Info that was provided to me ahead of time:

Repainted in the last ten years, a pretty good job overall but some less than perfect spots.

The car has basically no rust. Any spots it has are very minor surface issues. No bubbling or structural issues. Jack it up and the door gaps don't change. I have known the car for 10 years and owned it for 5. It has probably been garage kept its whole life. Was undercoated (ziebart or something like it) when new.

The engine is a 2.0. It has the stock FI system and 96mm pistons. The heads have been replaced with '73 heads completely rebuilt with all new stock valves(sodium exhaust) in 2000. It has very minimal leaks. I tracked it one weekend and have autocrossed it a half dozen times. It is a good 914 for the track. I have lowered and aligned it and am halfway thru a brake upgrade. The front has BMW calipers, now the proportioning valve should get replaced and the old front brakes put on the back.

Upgraded parts:

turbo tie rod ends and rack spacers
new front rotors, pads, wheel bearings
halogen headlights
KYB struts
new metal master brake pads, new rotors, wheel bearings
19mm master cylinder, bronze bushings in pedal cluster
weltmeister front a arm bushings and sway bar bushings
weltmeister shift kit
ssi heat exchangers/bursch exhaust
pertronix points eliminator/coil
140# rear springs

issues:

-window seals replaced but seal is a poor quality copy. As a result the window won't roll up with the door closed.
-trunk hinge on one side broken. Have replacement, just never put it in.
-seats slightly torn.

EXTRAS
-custom 7" wide HRE wheels with almost new Hoosier 205 tires. If you know anything about 914 stuff you know how hard it is to get a 7" wide wheel onto a 914.
-extra case with brand new counterweighted crank, rods, and bearings. Was going to build a 150 hp motor and started accumulating parts.
-set of Tenzo racing seats. Brand new, need track mods to make fit, but should be OK. They might raise the seating position though. If you are over 5'10" these might not be a good idea.
-a whole bunch of suspension, engine, body, misc spares.
-ski rack!

new rebuilt 73 heads, new guides, shaved, stock valves didn't split case, "very strong 2 liter", great torque typical 901, 1st, 2nd a little touchy, grinds a bit like most dropped tranny, new seals, ran synthetic, changed to swepco fluid little drops out of it "good track car"

Mahles are 165 series tires HRE wheels - Hoosier, almost new. "good season left on them"
3 piece aluminum wheels, center basket weave pattern silver powerd painted, polished lip.. 7" x 15" diam.
set of 1/4" spacers included for front if needed.

Fresh 5 pt harnesses
no center console. 914/6 temp/fuel gauge.
has a sandwich plate, bypass for external oil cooler fill up back of pickup truck with spares parts

After i saw the car, my comments:

No EGR or any of that emissions crap
Fairly messy engine/tranny. Has one oil leak, nothing terrible.
Tuna can, solved pickup problem.
Runs straight 30 weight motor oil. Never heard of anyone doing that, strange.
Driver side trunk hinge broken
Car had A/C, crappy job covering it up(see pics). Should cut old floor out and weld from parts car. I have a guy who can weld just about anything for free.
Those 7" wheels are damn light! Very cool.
Hole in passenger side rear wheel well. Guy said its from changing the battery tray and isn't structural. This is my biggest problem with the car.
Jacked the car up, checked door gaps, not too bad. Moved about 3mm.
The 2.0 is a solid motor, it's got some power to it, doesn't smoke.
TONS of spare parts, rain tray, motor parts, harnesses, seats, calipers, etc etc etc

My bottom line is... I can buy this car, autox it for a year without needing anything. I can also sell the seats, spare parts for motor and a few things for at least $1k. On top of that the wheels/tires are worth over $1k new. It needs to be cleaned up here and there, fix a few small things. Barely used set of Hoosiers, nice set of wheels for them, harnesses. One thing that would be top on my list would be to bring the trunks down to bare metal and POR-15 them. After that do the same to the longitudinals and a few extra areas to make sure the rust is taken care of. There are a lot of little things that need to be taken car of: oil leak, dirty engine/trans, leaky seals, trunk hinge, etc

HELP!!!!!!!! $7k solid. Guy isn't in a rush to sell it. However I can turn around and sell the seats, engine parts and extras for at least $1k.
nickg
or you could buy my 76 malaga red car i had shipped out in oct to nj in better shape, less rust for 5500. also in nj, but this car is an original untouched car, never monkeyed with, never modded save stainles brake hoses and a pertronix. runs perfect 112k original documented miles
wilchek
looks like an eastcoast car. Seems overpriced to me for the condition. The repairs are homemade and needed to be fixed and the paint job was poorly done. The car had little metal to begin with and when new parts are not welded in it make it only worse. 5000 MAX but I don't think I would even pay 4000 from the pictures. It is obvious the guy did not spend much time doing the repairs correct what else is not done correct. Keep looking, better cars are to be found.
skline
Well, it is a stock exhaust but not from that car. That has early 1.7 liter heat exchangers on it which are restrictive. You can tell by the major upsweep at the end. I would look at it in person and have it inspected by a professional.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 22 2005, 06:00 PM)
Well, it is a stock exhaust but not from that car. That has early 1.7 liter heat exchangers on it which are restrictive. You can tell by the major upsweep at the end. I would look at it in person and have it inspected by a professional.

Hmmm, I would think they would be better than the 75-76 ones....
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 22 2005, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 22 2005, 06:00 PM)

Hmmm, I would think they would be better than the 75-76 ones....

I've been told better than the 75/76 but not as good as the 73.

My .02 is that 7K seems high.
CptTripps
Having been 'in the market' recently, and seen a bazillion cars, if you showed me those pics and asked me to price it, I'd say $4,200. I found a nicer car than that for $4K here in Ohio...

I JUST did a floor-job, and it's NOT a party. (see sig for thread) You can get NEW floors for under $400, and they'll be BRAND-NEW. Do that before you POR-15 a rusty set. I've also got an interior I'd like to sell...they don't go all that fast. (And mine is REAL clean too)

At $4,500...I might buy it, but he's smoking if he thinks it's worth $7,000! True, there are some cool things, but theay ALL come with cool things...that's the problem! =)

Good luck! Let us know what you do!
xsboost90
looking at the pics it looks to be like my car when i first bought it -expt the cut out floor pan and rusted rear!- i would say $4000 would be a good price. 7? alittle high.
9144me
Thanks for your opinion guys. This is the picture that really bothers me: RUSTED THROUGH BACK RIGHT WHEEL WELL
Is that from the battery acid eating through?

My friend says that the door gaps should not change at all on a true rust free car. Is this true?

I guess I should keep searching. They guy won't budge on price when I last spoke to him. $7K firm with all the goodies. I don't want to overpay for a rust bucket.

Anyone else want to chime in? confused24.gif
type47fan
Here are some shots you might use as a comparison to other '76s you might be considering. I would have been extremely happy to have gotten $5000 for this car when I had it up for sale last year.

This was an original car, late production (3947 of 4100), with 87,000 miles.

IMHO, $7000 is unrealistic for that car, based on the pictures. You can, and will, do much better. Keep looking. . . .

Thanks,
type47fan
another. . . .
type47fan
more. . . .
type47fan
last. . . .
SirAndy
icon8.gif

- rust on the cabin floor, center tunnel, pedal area ...
- 1.7L engine (not a 2.0L)
- hacked wiring all over the place
- KYB shocks
- missing the rear swaybar
- engine and tranny leak lots of oil
- hack repair job in the front trunk

$7k ???

to me, that's a project car, not worth more than $3k max.
and only that IF it's running good and the breaks work ...

huh.gif Andy
porschenut
The owner speaks up.

Yes the front trunk AC hole was not repaired well. The car was going to get a 6 or hot 4 and I wanted to put an oil cooler withducting up front. Temp fix made the hole no worse.
Motor is not a 1.7 it is a 2.1 with 1.7 heat exchangers. They are bigger than the stock tubes though not as big as the 2.0 SSI ones. I have driven a bunch of 'teens and can tell you this is one of the quickest FI motors I have seen.
The wheels are 3 pc HRE that are very rare. How many of you guys with cars for sale have 5 mahles and a set of these jewels with Hoosiers one weekend old included?
Without stiffeners or a cage some door gap change is normal. Theis moves about as much as my 70 did in 73.

Bottom line the car is not a deal but not a rip off. There are things needing repair, but they do not affect the safety, performance, or degradation of the car. It is capable of a season of autocross, and with the way it is set up a good driver will do well in it.

I will report on that last statement this summer, it is no longer for sale and I will be tracking it myself.

A little side note to you "experts" stating the car is not worth 4. No, never mind why waste my time.
xsboost90
remember, in a public forum, opinions are...just that. Opinions. Any of us could be wrong to the price someone will pay for anything. I think most of us will simply use what we've learned in our experience a car is worth. The car looks decent IMHO but definitly needs some work. That said, $7000. will get you a beat up 6 or a hella nice 2.0, at least from what ive seen. IM sinking about $5000 into my car in the last year and i would still be surprised to get $7000 when its done. But thats just an opinion. cool.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (porschenut @ Feb 23 2005, 06:32 AM)
A little side note to you "experts" stating the car is not worth 4. No, never mind why waste my time.

porschenut:

Well I guess that answered that question...kinda wished you HAD wasted your time and replied. There are PLENTY of people here that know these cars better than the factory, and know what to look for.

9144me:

See, now you don't have to worry about it! biggrin.gif Keep looking and you'll be amazed at the car that can be bought for 3K-5K. For a point of reference...take a look at this car. I think he ended up taking 8K for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4516591667

Or this one that went for $3,650! (Wish I'd hav bought it...I saw this car and it is VERY clean.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4527534554

Good luck!
9144me
I was expecting this community to be rough and devalue the car. It happens every time I post any car. But there must be some truth to it. To the right person that car is worth the asking price. I guess i'm not the right person. I have my budget and a pretty good idea of what I can get for the $$ assuming I spend enough time searching for what I want.

It just seems that the last few cars I've seen, the owners are in no rush to sell and would rather keep the car than drop the price to get rid of it.

Is it wrong to start up a whole thread with pictures on someone else's car. Yes it probably would not please me, but its the internet. I'd like to think we are all looking out for each others best interests.

With all that said, I do apologize, sorry the deal did not work out and.... it appears as though i'm still on the market for an autox/de car. Best of luck
Joe Bob
No reason to apologize....we aren't yer parents....do what ya wanna do...
porschenut
I am sorry you are back to the drawing board, but you need to know more about these cars before getting into one. As I said Sunday a 944 is a better choice for you.

This board is brutal on prices, yes we all have found deals on cars but the deals are harder to find as time goes on.

The good cars are not going as deals, and the people owning them know how rare they are. I have only sold 2 other Porsches and the new owners are still in touch and very happy with their deals and their cars. In fact I have offered to buy both back years later for the same price and they declined!

I still want to know from you experts who is selling a car with custom made 3 pc 7" wide wheels for less then 5. As a matter of fact how many of you even have 7" wheels for the four bolt hubs?
boxstr
If you are a buyer for a 914. Look until you find one "YOU" are happy with. You will have to kiss alot of frogs before you find a prince. Or something like that.
I sell these cars and I have alot of them offered to me by the owner, they are either upgrading to a better one, or going in a completely different direction.
Sellers have there reasons for pricing the car where they want it. You have to ask the questions to them. If the seller is telling you $7000 FIRM, and it is not in your budget then walk away.
This board can give you all the opinions that you can handle, just ask.But it won't help you find the 914 of your dreams.Keep looking. Check in every once in awhile and show us what you purchased. Good luck.

CCLIN7INCHFOURBOLTWHEELSONMYV8RACER
Mueller
I still want to know from you experts who is selling a car with custom made 3 pc 7" wide wheels for less then 5. As a matter of fact how many of you even have 7" wheels for the four bolt hubs?

glad to see you keep the car, it seems like you will be putting some money into it and driving it, which is a good thing smile.gif

as for the 3-pc wheels, yea, those are nice, but for some people it's not that big of a deal or at least not for purchasing a 914 unless they "need" that size and it's a make or break deal....have you tried to get repair parts for the rims? if something happens to one and you cannot get replacment part, then the point is moot (I had a set of very nice 3-piece etoile rims for a 914, couldn't find replacment parts for them...the value of the rims dropped dramaticly due to that, and they where perfect when I sold them).......you can purchase 15x7 and 17x7 revolution rims for about $200 a pop with the correct 4 bolt pattern (i have a set of the 17's for my car), the offest is perfect for the 914 since they are made for the car.

TravisNeff
I don't think a set of rims makes a car worth 7 grand. I don't get the point.
SirAndy
QUOTE (porschenut @ Feb 23 2005, 07:43 AM)
As a matter of fact how many of you even have 7" wheels for the four bolt hubs?

i had. sold the whole set for $200 bucks to a mechanic who put 'em on his beetle. they still had tires on them as well (225s) ...

my point is simple (and yes, i know we're a bit spoiled here on the west coast) ...

for $7k, you'll get a *really nice* runnning 2.0L here. and by really nice i mean, no hacked front trunk job, no surface rust in all the usual places. better than KYB shocks, decent paint, decent interior, no rust on the floor cabin and inside the centertunnel around the pedal cluster and behind the seats. no hacked wiring.

yours is better than a lot i have seen. but it needs work to make it a nice car. and there's nothing wrong with that. i bought my car for $3500 and it was a project car just like yours.

i wouldn't pay $7k for your car and a set of nice wheels doesn't make your car any better ...
but that's just my opinion ...
cool.gif Andy
Bleyseng
I don't think the guys here are being too brutal. I saw the other pics and its a ok 914 but out here its not a $7000 car. Maybe on the Eastcoast.
Fast? My 2056 with Djet puts out 95 rear wheel hp which is pretty damn fast as a few guys on the BBS have driven it. I would be interested in real Dyno numbers for fun.

Rims, who cares as they come right off. Rust and those kind of repairs are what set a price on a 914!

Geoff
9144me
Yea I agree with the whole East Coast Vs. West Coast availability war. Us eastern folk have to find a car that grew up in the west, or go right ahead and have on shipped over. Big pain in the butt... Damn east coast humidity!!

TravisNeff
Think of it this way, any east coast car - add 1k to the price (that would be the cost for shipping from left to right). Keep that in perspective when looking. Like I said before, most likely your purchase will end up being long distance to some degree (unless you are in socal).
redshift
You can buy a california car from Otto's, but it spent 23 previous years in New York City.... right there on the title! (unregistered!)

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.