Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing front control arm bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
1976 2.0

I am considering replacing the front control arm bushings with the OEM type rubber replacements from Elephant racing.

Questions:
Has anyone used them...opinions?
How much needs to be unbolted from the car, can I get away with removing just the A arms and leave the struts, hubs/discs and brakes on the car?

Thanks
bdstone914
[quote name='DavidSweden' date='Jun 7 2015, 02:17 You only need to remove the control arms. Elephant makes a good product with good tools provided. Used the aUro brand too. Dont know how long they hold up. Elephant claims they quickly distort under load.
Mark Henry
It's not a hard job, but it is a PITA and time consuming especially if you want to paint everything while you're in there. Add to that you will have to do an alignment once done.

My original bushings didn't look bad at first, but on closer inspection they were distorted off center.
Do it right the first time, get the bushings from Elephant or Tangerine Racing.
barefoot
While you're in there make sure the torsion bars are not scarred from rubbing against the ID due to distortion at the rear bushing. Clean & re-coat the bars if protective covering is compromised. I had one break from a corrosion crevice crack way back when
jimkelly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03h2gE4Rao
Larmo63
I did everything off of the car. That said, it is a big job, but not hard once you familiarize yourself with ALL of the pieces and parts. I did the bushings with tools I borrowed from Bruce that were better than the method that Elephant shows on their website. A long threaded steel rod down the middle works much better than a bar clamp.

I would recommend you do everything at the same time. I bought all new stuff and piled it up until I had everything ready, powder coated, and new to include: bushings, ball joints, (Lemforder) tie rods, bearings, seals, etc. Bruce Stone was a huge help with knowledge and parts.

The Elephant stuff is great, I highly recommend them and the front end is a "while I'm in there" project that can get crazy. (ask me how I know)
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
colingreene
how much time did you spend laying that all out on the floor though.
r_towle
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jun 8 2015, 12:40 AM) *

how much time did you spend laying that all out on the floor though.

hahaha

av-943.gif
rich
malcolm2
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 7 2015, 08:49 AM) *

Great video. I remember watching it and it really helped me decide to go with Elephant. Great support from them as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.