Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Customizing dashboard heater/defrost controls
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Has anyone ever tried to customize their 914 with a climate control system from a 993, 996 or Boxster? One thing I am dreading when putting my car back together is getting that push/pull cable system back into the car.

Would it even be reasonably possible? Note: No A/C in the car, so maybe buttons there but non-functional.

A 993 climate control looks suitable from a "looks" point of view, but no doubt big $$$.

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/993...-canon-2220.jpg

Ignore the whole carbon fiber bits....just the climate control would be desired.
Mike Bellis
If it were possible, it would take serious engineering. Most likely they are servo motor controlled. So you would need a controller to run a linear actuator the the 914 flaps.

Sounds way easier to install the 914 cables.
Mueller
http://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=linear

If you delve into it, here are some cheap and not so cheap parts smile.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 7 2015, 09:38 PM) *

If it were possible, it would take serious engineering. Most likely they are servo motor controlled. So you would need a controller to run a linear actuator the the 914 flaps.

Sounds way easier to install the 914 cables.

I would still control the flaps (and blower) in back by the HE's by hand (el manual). Actually, I can't remember is the lever for heat in the 914 turns on the blower in the back or not. And reading up on it, they had 993 Climate Control Units that is are non-AC. Seems like you need the fan switch on the 993 CCU to turn on the blower up front. You need the CCU hooked up to an "air box" up front with a servo motor to control feet/defrost or both for direction of the air. I'd live with just defrost personally. It's not like the 914 cabin is a monstrous cabin to heat. And there is always seat heaters... idea.gif

Nothing wrong with a little serious engineering.
r_towle
just man up and put it all back in the right way.
Get some help..I know its a mess, done more than a few.

See if someone can come by to help and bring their car for reference.

Rich
Andyrew
Im going to be incorporating a early 2000's Audi climate control in my system.

But Im going to use the Audi ac/heater box modified to fit..

A bit more simple/complex than your idea.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 8 2015, 11:53 AM) *

Im going to be incorporating a early 2000's Audi climate control in my system.

But Im going to use the Audi ac/heater box modified to fit..

A bit more simple/complex than your idea.

That's interesting. What does the CCU look like in the car? Obviously, I'm looking at resto-mod'ing my car but hoping to keep the dashboard look somewhat "period correct".

In my example, the 993/964 CCU unit (albeit a quite complex little computer in its own right) doesn't look completely out of place on the dash.
Andyrew
Well I am going to be building an entirely new dash so your requirements are a bit different than mine, also I am using an entire Audi wiring harness/engine/trans/ecu/ect... Its all integrated, but you MIGHT be able to power up the unit itself and go from there.. I dont know if anyone has tried though.

Good thing is all the parts are available at the local pickers for cheap cheap..

There is the late and early model unit, fully automated but with manual takeover. IPB Image
IPB Image

Im going to be putting it in my narrow center console (Think Carrera GT style center console) so size is an issue for me, I'll be using the early narrow model.
Mike Bellis
The CCU will require the CAN bus to operate properly. CAN bus will not operate without the factory ECU and dash cluster and ABS controller and TCU and steering column, and, and, and...

Best be is to reverse engineer the 993 control knobs and create a controller to use those inputs. A linear actuator will give the push/pull motion required to operate the 914 flappers in the fresh air box and diverter valves.

In Andyrew's case, he will need the ECU and dash cluster and CCU. In fact, he will need a whole car to pull parts and wiring from. Very ambitious! But stripping a complete car is the easiest way. He might need the steering column unless he gets the immobilizer flashed out.

Many of the above items can get flashed out. But many are required to make the CCU work.
Andyrew
^This was my thought as well.

I dont think its at all worth doing all that work just for climate control.

boxsterfan
I'm not even trying to achieve automated Climate Control. And I'd be looking at replacing the stock blower/airbox up front....possibly with whatever works with the control unit.

Anyway, I'm still in the discovery phase.

Andyrew
Maybe you could get a 944 unit to work?

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm
boxsterfan
Well, I found a 986 Boxster air distribution unit (ie blower) today for <$100 used of course. The hardest part is finding the measurements on the thing (without actually buying it. ;-)

Next up is to find workshop manuals on the CCU to see what pins I actually need on the unit. For example, my reading says it gets speed from the CAN bus to determine whether the recirc/fresh intake flap closes at >55mph. In my case, I don't care. I don't need that input. It also sends electrical load info to the DME via the CAN bus so that the DME can compensate for that. Again, another thing I don't need.

My next step is going to be talking the wife into letting me buy this stuff just so I can play with it. LOL
Mike Bellis
Read up on the CAN bus and error codes. Many modules will not work without an "OK" signal from the master (dash cluster).

I have dealt a lot with CAN on my conversion. I still get an error from the missing ABS controller. I am running the dash cluster and ECU. the two work well together. The ABS will eventually get flashed out.

I don't think you will get the CCU to work unless you can hack the CAN signal and write code.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 9 2015, 05:52 PM) *

Read up on the CAN bus and error codes. Many modules will not work without an "OK" signal from the master (dash cluster).

I have dealt a lot with CAN on my conversion. I still get an error from the missing ABS controller. I am running the dash cluster and ECU. the two work well together. The ABS will eventually get flashed out.

I don't think you will get the CCU to work unless you can hack the CAN signal and write code.

Fortunately, the interwebs might be of help. http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-...no-and-Seeed-C/

Plus, I can code. :-)
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 9 2015, 07:05 PM) *

Fortunately, the interwebs might be of help. http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-your-...no-and-Seeed-C/

Looks promising! I might need these parts...
boxsterfan
Looks like Porsche did not implement a CAN bus on the Boxster until 2002. Looking at the air distribution system (blower) pics, I just need to get the dimensions...especially where the output is.

So far, a fun thought exercise...
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 9 2015, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 9 2015, 07:05 PM) *

Looks promising! I might need these parts...

Got me thinking too!
boxsterfan
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-...agement-system/

Hmmmm.....I don't stay up-to-date with everything MegaSquirt, but now there is a programmable CAN bus controller.

CAN Support for 3rd party dash devices

1. Currently offers support for RacePak, AIM, Race Technology, Traqmate, and Race Capture.
2. Pre-defined “simple” as well as fully configurable CAN broadcasting modes
3. Standard 11-bit message headers
4. Allows for simple integration with any 3rd party devices
Elliot Cannon
I have no use for a linear actuator. I just like saying "linear actuator". smoke.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.