Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914/4 2.0 HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Seiler
Hello,

I am in a quandary, should I spend the extra money an get new injectors, replace the manifold pressure sensor that is leaking, and find a fuel injection computer. Or should I convert to a Weber Carburetor setup like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130899658464 ?

If you have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Seiler @ Jun 8 2015, 08:38 AM) *

Hello,

I am in a quandary, should I spend the extra money an get new injectors, replace the manifold pressure sensor that is leaking, and find a fuel injection computer. Or should I convert to a Weber Carburetor setup like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130899658464 ?

If you have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

So many questions...

How close to original is the rest of the car?

Do you expect performance or just start and run?

A single carb is the worst thing you can do to a Type 4. Fuel injection is the best thing on a stock 2.0L.
Cairo94507
I agree. It really depends upon how original your car is and what your expectations are. I personally think the FI system is the way to go. But if you convert to carbs, do it correctly and change the cam to one designed to work with carbs. Slippery slope once you start making changes.....
Seiler
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 8 2015, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Seiler @ Jun 8 2015, 08:38 AM) *

Hello,

So many questions...

How close to original is the rest of the car?

Do you expect performance or just start and run?

A single carb is the worst thing you can do to a Type 4. Fuel injection is the best thing on a stock 2.0L.

The interior is not stock at all, there has been some modification to the exterior as well.

At this point I would just be happy with start and run wile I am working on restoration.

Where would I get these parts replaced reasonably? The carb setup seems to be a sensible solution.

Thank-you for your inquiry !
rhodyguy
you can have your injectors refurbished inexpensively and source the other items in the classifieds. i think the single carb setup will be a waste of time and money.
914work
How about what MY is your car? Engine?
That will tell us if your after a L-JET or D-Jet system to compare.
There are a couple members offering complete OE FI systems in the classifieds for around $500
EdwardBlume
I think the DJet is preferable for street driving.... IMHO.
Seiler
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 13 2015, 10:01 AM) *

How about what MY is your car? Engine?
That will tell us if your after a L-JET or D-Jet system to compare.
There are a couple members offering complete OE FI systems in the classifieds for around $500

the model year is 1973 914 2.0
turk22
I have the same, 73 2.0L Djet,

In my opinion, I would suggest that the injectors can easily (and cheaply) be refurbished, the MPS can be rebuilt, using the kit from Tangerine racing, and there are ECU's available for the 2.0L Djet.

If the car is basically un-molested, and stock, I would keep the Djet, which is the best for daily cruising and driving, and will give you biggest return on investment if you ever sell the car.

I believe that most Carb conversions would require a slightly different cam to perform the best, and that means cracking the engine. In time/effort/money with the 3 things you have listed, keeping the Djet is what I would recommend. When you get the MPS rebuilt, you will see an immediate improvement in how the car runs.

Timing and plugs and general tune-up are also big helps after you get the big 3 done.

Turk
SKL1
If you do go the carb route, DON"T do the single carb. For sure, do a dual set up. Chris' linkage at Tangerine is pretty slick too!
Pat Garvey
Please don't do carbs. It's like giving a bow & arrow to a Marine. He'll make it work until it gets him killed. The point of technology is NOT going backwards!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.