Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MasIVe 3 liter- Finished
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Well after a few YEARS of parts sourcing, scrounging and waiting the 3 liter is a finished engine.
This engine sports the largest Nickies ever made, my new Billet heads with 52x41 valves and 10:1 cr.

This is a full street, tame engine that should make 260-270HP on my Dyno in top form. I am really pushed to make an event with it in a couple of weeks so I put it together a tad faster than I would have cared to and I do not have my EFI installed yet. The engine was set up for FI (cam) so with carbs in these first tests it will lack some power.

This is just a baseline test run for my prototype heads and I found a ton of areas that need more development.

By this time next year I look to have this N/A combination proven and be developing a combination for the Midget race crowd. I also hope to have a smaller version (100mm bore that can handle tons O boost) set up making 400 streetable ponies...

Tomorrow is the big day here, but I'm keeping the numbers quiet till after our SE Dyno Day on March 5.

Tomorrow should change everything- Or it'll cost me 35K in broken and destroyed parts....

She'll spin 8,000 RPM by noon tomorrow! I can't wait!
Aaron Cox
kick ass man!!!!!
Joseph Mills
Jake,

Sometimes you just flat out scare me. biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
This one flat out scares me. There are parts so close to each other that its just plain sick....

I can go larger than this, "Project X" is a 3619cc but it has a whole different set of rules than this engine does.

I started machine work for project X in 2001!

My goal is a 3 liter, reliable daily driver to take to shows and the like to prove the rigidity of the TIV and the effectiveness of the DTM cooling system.

I won't build anything this large for a customer its just fun to literally build something from scratch and make it work- Hopefully very well!
Twystd1
You are NUTS...!!!

Puurrrfect.

Don't change your ways.....

Kick some ass my friend....

And good wishes..
Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Jake Raby
Thanks!

It just looks so bad ass sitting there- Even with a hacked up test shroud and no shiny details it looks truly MassIVe. (This time around looks don't mean a damn thing)
Hi_Fi_Guy
Do you have a microphone in that dyno room? I think we need some sound clips.
Jake Raby
You woldn't be able to hear anything even if I did... All my exhaust exits outside through a muffled pipe so I can hear the engine during the tests.....

Inside all you get is a ton of static and etc... It sounds like hell on audio..

Who cares about sound anyway- All my engines all sound the same to me.

BTW- Hi Fi Guy, you should get your package on Monday...
seanery
I bet we could figure out a way to get a good recording Jake....
by the way....
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Jake Raby
I don't want to post the pics of my heads just yet... Maybe I can have Charles blur out the head portion of the pics..

It doesn't look spectacular- This is a tool not a show piece at this point.... Its totally Frankenstein, even the shroud has been hacked to death and fiberglassed from hell just to make it fit over the engine with my heads installed.

The longblock looks just like any other Nickies equipped engine.

The only thing that matters is the data from the dyno sheet- Thats IT! And that it doesn't leak oil or explode the first time it hits 8500.
URY914
If it is wider than a stock engine, are you going to get into clearance problems with the inner ears for the trailing arms?

Paul
Jake Raby
Even though its wider (by 1") than a stock TIV- Its still 3/4" more narrow than a Type I...
Mark Henry
Cool bud! cool.gif

I've held those bad boy nickies...let's just say they're MassIVe.

aktion035.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 23 2005, 10:11 AM)
Even though its wider (by 1") than a stock TIV- Its still 3/4" more narrow than a Type I...

A T-1 is wider than a T-IV?

That, I did not know. screwy.gif

Paul
redshift
Uhh Jake... SHUT UP AND RUN IT. smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks!

M
sean_v8_914
just post a picture of teh tach over 8 grand and you with a big cheesey grin
congrats, I hope it lives beyond your expectations
some guys do, the rest write books or talk about it on the internet like they actually did it
Jake Raby
Yes a TI is 1-3/4" wider than a TIV- Thats why the conversion into a bug is so easy..

I hit some small snags (exhaust, etc) so I am not done yet...

I'll hear it run before I sleep tonight (tomorrow morning)

This sucker is MassIVe and a MASSIVE bitch to assemble and fit things onto...

I have 4 pages of notes of issues to clear up on the next one and a solid page of just changes that need to be made to the heads..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.