Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temperature
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
After my two short trips yesterday evening and this afternoon ( very old tires & master cylinder stopped me from a longer trip), I noticed that I have to get 'my head around' the fact that the temp gauge on the dash is no Water temperature gauge, but an Oil temp gauge...

Af first, I was under the impression that the gauge didn't work - until I realised that the oil isn't heating as quick as a cylinder head & coolant! ( chair.gif

But that leaves me with one question: what to expect? I know that this sort of gauges isn't really rocket science, so that most gauges aren't very precise. Taken that in consideration, what's a normal operating temperature/ the correct position of the needle?

Thanks in advance!

Menno
type47
I believe there are 3 versions of the gauge with 2 versions of temp face in the gauge. One temp version has a large red region; the other small. Which version do you have? For more info and some pix, see the entries in the Parts Vault section of Originality and History forum. I've seen pix of the console gauge and temps of the needle position but can't say if that translates to the dash gauge. In a way, I'd think they'd be the same since the console gauges also did the large and small red areas. Check out bowlsbys site for pix of the console gauge needle temp positions
thieuster
I shamelesly nicked the pic from The Samba (I hope that's not too bad)

IPB Image

This is exactly the type of gauge in my car.

Menno
malcolm2
If you look very closely at the top edge of the arc, inside the window, you can see some numbers. Celsius temps. This one would have one at the beginning of the red mark and the end. You have the #'s just have to stand on your head to see them, or take the gauge out.

I have never seen this gauge, but you can see the numbers on the outer edge of the actual gauge.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
one more picture theft. I googled 911 oil temp gauge 914 did not show these and looked for images.

many more some with indications of normal op temp etc... like this one.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Keep in mind that those numbers are only valid if the sender matches the gauge. So if one or the other has been replaced, they may be very far off.

--DD
thieuster
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 9 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Keep in mind that those numbers are only valid if the sender matches the gauge. So if one or the other has been replaced, they may be very far off.

--DD

Good point! Something a lot of 914 owners have to take in consideration, I think. Is there a safe way to figure out what the real temp is?

Menno
billh1963
QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 9 2015, 03:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 9 2015, 09:22 PM) *

--DD

Good point! Something a lot of 914 owners have to take in consideration, I think. Is there a safe way to figure out what the real temp is?

Menno

Use an oil dipstick thermometer that many of us use.

Precision Matters
malcolm2
Take it all out of the car and to your kitchen. I used a 12v batt from my drill, pot of water, a thermometer and checked it. 212*F and 100*C boils water. with the sensor in the water you can watch the gauge.

There are several posts out there show results and other tests.

Dip stick gizmo was not for me. I was afraid I was going to pull the gauge off. Bought one, sold it the next day. Lots of guys like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.