Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not Your Usual Rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914DiceRoll
My 914 has a rusted out area on the rear fender just above the door latch. It looks like it was a result of the foam insulation inside the fender holding moisture and rusting the fender from the inside. Has anyone developed an effective repair procedure for this problem short of replacing the entire fender? Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
billh1963
I've got a '75 that has the same issue.

Unfortunately, it's not so uncommon.
barebrad
You can purchase a patch piece from Restoration Design that fits nicely! Just be sure to remove all the seam sealer and ALL the rust, then cut the patch down to fit...

sawzall-smiley.gif
malcolm2
Me too, but mine was not that far along. It comes from the seam sealer injected into that tight spot. I guess if it is done correctly it seals. If it is not, it either has a place for the water to pool or it cracks and lets the water in. Your rear tire slings water and dirt up there. Then the dirt and water SIT and SIT and SIT and start the rusting.

Same thing happens on the other end. Way up in the wheel well by the brake light. Since you have this one open, you should start picking at the other door handle.

Heat gun, screw driver, ice pick, dental pick, just get it out of the other too.
mepstein
Very common. Cut it out and replace with new metal. I bet you'll see more rust once you start removing paint since that area rusts from the inside out.
Cairo94507
Very common. Grind, cut, weld and move to the other side. Make sure to remove all that rust fertilizer up in those panels. I would strip the vinyl off the roller and look for more rust - might as well address that at the same time. It also resides at the rear of the quarter adjacent to the taillights. Take a light, look up in their and check it out. That crap just absorbs water like a sponge and holds it. Porsche Planning and Research totally hosed that one.
TargaToy
Get up with bdstone914 here on the world. He may be cutting a car up that has those sections in good shape. The advantage of that is the piece cut out of the donor car will have the 90 degree vent tube intact. I am not sure that the RD pieces do.

I got a L and R side piece from a member here who cut up a car in NC. So far I have the driver's side installed and I'm happy with it. Unfortunately, I still have to do the passenger side. mad.gif
mr914
It's all repairable

Open it up and see what lurks behind.... sawzall-smiley.gif

Mine required a few custom cuts and some creative welding
mr914
Fitting and grinding
mr914
Time and patience
Tom_T
agree.gif

So common in fact that 914s started rusting there within a couple of years old - including mine at 3.5 years & I went round & round with Porsche+Audi to get it fixed - they were aware of it & that their "magic foam" filler was the culprit.

I repaired it 2x at my cost in 76 & 80, & will again soon in my resto! sad.gif

I agree with the above & cleaning all of the foam out, & with looking at what lurks behind, cuz the multi-layered sections in the rollbar can also rust too & that is a major torsional stiffness element in our 914s!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914DiceRoll
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. My next step will be to remove the rest of the moisture holding foam and figure out just how extensive the damage is.
Ron
java script:emoticon(':smash:','smid_51')
914DiceRoll
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. My next step will be to remove the rest of the moisture holding foam and figure out just how extensive the damage is.
Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.