Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA 98mm Biral cylinder/pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john maples
Hi All,

Has anyone had experience with the AA 98mm Biral cyl/piston sets? My only source of info on these seems to feel the cast iron is a little soft but could be nikasil coated to make a fine cylinder.
I would like to keep the Ljet if possible but may need to increase injector size.

Any thoughts?

I will be rebuilding the 2.0 in my 912E and am considering options.

Thanks,
John

914Sixer
96mm is the usual next step up and are plug and play. You can always call Randy at the VW shop in Comfort and run it by him. It shows the 98mm will need case machine work along with the heads.
john maples
Thanks Mark,

My first thought was the 96mm step up but you know what they say about displacement...

The extra 2mm per hole may not be worth the extra machining expense.

John
r_towle
103 MM pistons, go up to 2.4, Ljet will support it.

Ljet needs a mild almost stock camshaft or the air waves can create flutter.

Elgin Camshafts
webcamshaft
Type4store

All know these camshafts.
Elgin will give you advice etc.

European Motor Werks (EMW) in California has lots of the parts, a machine shop and will also talk about different builds.

Not sure of your average temps, but heat will be an issue.
So, an external oil cooler (mounted to the underside of the deck lid on the 912 will work, ALA 911...

EMW sells the cheaper version of plated aluminum cylinders, LN engineering sells the higher end...those do help reduce heat.

Rich
914Sixer
Heat will be an issue here 6 or 7 months a year.
Mueller
I've seen others ask about these Birals before with no real answers, I'd call AA or EMW and see if they can give you a customer referral for those exact parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.