Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsches & Planes in LA! - LA Region PCA Concours Sun 9/10/17
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
UPDATE:

If you're wondering what happened to the LA Region's PCA Zone 8 Concours normally held in July, for 2017 it has been moved to Sunday Sept. 10 2017, & it's again at the Santa Monica Museum of Flying.

Here is their Reg page link:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-la...-angeles-932761

Remember that there is now a 914/914-6 Class in Wash & Shine Division since last year, & in all other Divisions except Ubergang (for new Porsches without easy/much engine access, so engine not judged in UG).

Also remember that you can enter an engine swapped Porsche - including 914s - in the Special Categories Division SC-1 - & if you track/AX your 914 or other Porsche, then you can do SC-2.

Come on out & see some nice Porsches & Planes, great lunch, etc.

AFAIK, you can get a free informal display by just parking in the parking lot out front, but formal Display areas are inside the museum building & in the back display area.

IPB Image

[i]INFO ON PAST EVENTS BELOW:[/i]

Another fun Porsche event is coming next month in LA - Porsches & Planes at the Santa Monica Museum of Flying across from the south side of Santa Monica Airport on Sun. 7/12/15.

So enthusiasts can come out & see both P-cars & Aircraft! blink.gif

CWs can enter for Concours judging! first.gif
.... I'll be SoCal Andy will be there with his "Ole Yellar" original 6! pray.gif
..... among other Teeners on here.

popcorn[1].gif

Those that want to show off their 914s creamsicle914.jpg piratenanner.gif but not be judged can do Display.

poke.gif

So go here to learn more .... type.gif

http://pcalosangeles.org/

http://pcalosangeles.org/event/los-angeles...nstance_id=1606

>>>> & you can go here to register for judged entries or display .... shades.gif

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-la...06#.VXn6cVIYHYg

So plan ahead now! idea.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Click to view attachment

aktion035.gif
Tom_T
Here is where you can go to register -

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-la...06#.VYIxo1IYHYg

And here is the list of entries so far -

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/eve...6C#.VYIxrlIYHYg

It's still early, so this will fill out over then coming weeks!

popcorn[1].gif So where is Andy? confused24.gif

A potential winner! smilie_pokal.gif shades.gif

Tom
///////
Tom_T
icon_bump.gif
Tom_T
Coming up next weekend! icon_bump.gif
jim_hoyland
That's the same day as the G & R ? sad.gif
Elliot Cannon
Sorry, but I'll be at the G&R. By the way, the Santa Monica airport won't be there much longer. They might need another venue for this event. Might I recommend Riverside? av-943.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 4 2015, 06:23 PM) *

Sorry, but I'll be at the G&R. By the way, the Santa Monica airport won't be there much longer. They might need another venue for this event. Might I recommend Riverside? av-943.gif

I think you can still do this too in the afternoon Elliot! biggrin.gif

Well, they got rid of Meadowlark back when, but this will be a harder nut to crack, since there are too many power players with planes at Santa Monica, & the FAA has federal law to back them up keeping it there.

I just find it incredibly stupid that folks move next to an airport & then complain about the noise! dry.gif

El Toro should've been an international airport for OC, but they worried about the noise in those areas south & west, got rid of it, & now have the JWA/SNA noise over them, now that the controlled airspace around El Toro is gone! Serves them right!

Say Cheers to Tony D. for me next time you talk (I've lost his number sad.gif - please PM or email it to me when you get a chance), & travel safe coming down to G&R next weekend.

Happy 4th E!
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 4 2015, 04:58 PM) *

That's the same day as the G & R ? sad.gif

Jim - LAR had this date scheduled soon after their 2014 one last July!

G&R was supposed to be in April .... not July 12th .... but then it got cancelled, kicked out, adopted by Bruce & now scheduled for the same day!

However, it is possible to do G&R in the morning & this in the afternoon, for those who want to see the Air Museum & Porsches. driving.gif

Last year they had 2 Carerra GTs on display, & probably 1 or 2 + a 918 this year.

I'm judging, so I have to be there pretty much all day. sad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Maltese Falcon
I took a ride over to Santa Monica airport in a friends 912 and checked out the PCA gathering. Perfect day for cars+ interesting aircraft .
I met Andy and discussed his yellow 6 gt, a beautiful car smile.gif
Anyone that took pics please post em up.
MartyClick to view attachment
Tom_T
Sorry I missed you Marty! I was off judging on the other cars on the far side when you guys were chatting. sad.gif

Well someone took home top honors here with a score just 0.2 off the perfect 325, & is well on his way to securing some 2015 overall Zone 8 honors as well! first.gif

Click to view attachment

.... but I think he's talking with the "Ice Princess" photo gal here, & not looking at his hardware, like Kent is doing! Must be tough to be chased by the paparazzi!! biggrin.gif

I'm sure he'll add some nicer pix than my crappy cell phone pic when he gets a chance. type.gif

See what you miss when you reschedule the GR&B on top of the long standing LA Region's Concoiurs! shades.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
The Museum of Flying also has some interesting aircraft etc. to drooley.gif over,

.... including this Mid-Engine Car of another sort! blink.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

idea.gif ... hmmmmm .... radial aero-engined 914 ....

Kinda like Bill Cosby's 1960's bit about the Cessna powered Rambler! laugh.gif
... or whatever car that was? huh.gif
Tom_T
confused24.gif For some reason it doesn't want to take the pic of the description card in my post above, here's a try again....

Click to view attachment

There! ... it worked that time!

Feel free to add your own pix from the event here too! popcorn[1].gif

Tom
///////

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 13 2015, 12:42 PM) *

Sorry I missed you Marty! I was off judging on the other cars on the far side when you guys were chatting. sad.gif

Well someone took home top honors here with a score just 0.2 off the perfect 325, & is well on his way to securing some 2015 overall Zone 8 honors as well! first.gif

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

No woories Tom, we will meet up and bench race soon I'm sure driving.gif driving.gif
After roasting earlier in the day at Topanga Super Car Sunday, a quick visit to Samo airport ...I was ready for some spa time !
Marty
Great show, beautiful cars, excellent food. Congratulations Andy!
Tom_T
agree.gif

On the food - & not to knock the GR&B cookout food - but LAR had a great caterer there this year & last with BBQ chicken, ribs & tri-tip, beans, slaw, mac & potato salads, bread, sodas, etc.

So you might consider putting it on your calendar for next July, & maybe the GR&B can get scheduled back to spring & fall on a non-conflicting weekend.

Bruce - you can PM or email me when you're scheduling them next time & I'll email you the link for the Zone 8 events, to keep the 914 swap off of the AX, DE/TT/Track, Concours & other events in SoCal.

PS - what you can't see is that Andy in the pic above has the bowl full of his seconds or thirds of the BBQ food to take home! laugh.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
More pics. Sorry, they're a bit blurry.
Socalandy
It couldn't have been closer in the points with the others in the class. I've been chasing some owners all season with years of showing thinking if I was close then I'm cool with that but she won one biggrin.gif
Tom_T
So close it was actually a tie that was broken according to Zone 8 rules for such! blink.gif

I think they also want to see some of the nice pix of your car & the others Andy! biggrin.gif

So ..... San Diego 8/22 next!? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 4 2015, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 4 2015, 06:23 PM) *

I think you can still do this too in the afternoon Elliot! biggrin.gif

Well, they got rid of Meadowlark back when, but this will be a harder nut to crack, since there are too many power players with planes at Santa Monica, & the FAA has federal law to back them up keeping it there.

I just find it incredibly stupid that folks move next to an airport & then complain about the noise! dry.gif

El Toro should've been an international airport for OC, but they worried about the noise in those areas south & west, got rid of it, & now have the JWA/SNA noise over them, now that the controlled airspace around El Toro is gone! Serves them right!

Say Cheers to Tony D. for me next time you talk (I've lost his number sad.gif - please PM or email it to me when you get a chance), & travel safe coming down to G&R next weekend.

Happy 4th E!
Tom
///////

El Toro would have NEVER worked as an intl. airport. Next time you see me I'll 'splain why.
Socalandy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 21 2015, 08:05 AM) *

So close it was actually a tie that was broken according to Zone 8 rules for such! blink.gif

I think they also want to see some of the nice pix of your car & the others Andy! biggrin.gif

So ..... San Diego 8/22 next!? confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Sorry, I've been crazy busy...

Socalandy
4 cam drooley.gif
Tom_T
HELP!!!!!! w00t.gif

OK folks .... dig our your smart phones & cameras! shades.gif

The PCA Zone 8 Concours Co-Chair is asking for some more photos from this 2015 LA Region Concours at the Museum of Flight in Santa Monica, for the year end Zone 8 coverage of the Concours season.

Our own SoCal Andy is well covered in the pages above, but they'd like some more drooley.gif shots of the other cool P-cars there! Yes .... even the tail-draggers, & the GT too! biggrin.gif

So if you went to the event & took some pix, please post dig ou your SD card, phone, iPad or whatever & your pix here & she can download them. type.gif

TIA & Happy Holidays! santa_smiley.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
icon_bump.gif

poke.gif LA Region PCA Concours is now on Sunday 9/10/17 - not July.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wes
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jul 21 2015, 07:51 AM) *

It couldn't have been closer in the points with the others in the class. I've been chasing some owners all season with years of showing thinking if I was close then I'm cool with that but she won one biggrin.gif

Congratulations great car in every aspect especially knowing what you started with.
Tom_T
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 10 2017, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jul 21 2015, 07:51 AM) *

Congratulations great car in every aspect especially knowing what you started with.

Wes, just so you know ....

That was from back in the 2015 one. I wish Andy would come back out with his "Bitchen -6", but he's been too busy with work since then.

In that 2015 season, Andy was on the way to the Zone 8 overall annual awards too, along with 3-4 very experienced past Full Concours winners, including the Porsche Award Winner from the Monterey Parade.

Then after that LAR 2015 show, he got hit in the RR-3/4 corner at the gas station, literally on the way to San Diego Concours the next month after this 2015 LAR one (see Andy's pix at the SDR Concours topic which I just updated for 2017). After a frantic call from Andy at the gas station here in Orange, we were able to get the damaged area waived/excluded from judging at that San Diego Concours event.

See post #9 here at the SDR Concours topic:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=260023

That hit & the needed repairs put him out of the running for the overall Full Concours award in 2015, but he would've still gotten it in the 914 Class of Full, if he'd even just taken it as-is in its damaged state to a 2-3 more shows to meet the annual number of shows entered minimum, & suffered point losses .... but .... Andy is a perfectionist & didn't want to do that.

Currently he & Kent are helping Jim G. to finish Jim's excellent Phoenix Red 70-6, which should do very well in either Full Concours or Street Divisions (Full requires cleaning/detailing the undercarriage + the Street's exterior, interior, engine & storage (both trunks for 914s) - so much more work for us old farts like Jim & I!

Andy's is truly an amazing resurrection - much more than a resto! Maybe we'll see Andy do some TLC on his DD'ed 914-6 & return for some more torture ... errrr .... I mean awards! first.gif

Feel free to come by any of our Zone 8 Concours or any other events, if you're ever down this way in SoCal + So. NV, AZ, & Central CA!

This is a link to the Zone 8 Calendar for all events:
http://www.zone8.org/calendar.php

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wes
Thanks Tom, guess I should pay more attention to the date. I was lucky enough to ride shotgun on the Saturday run at San Simeon in 2015, was very impressed by Andy and his gorgeous 914 6 .Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 11 2017, 01:16 PM) *

Thanks Tom, guess I should pay more attention to the date. I was lucky enough to ride shotgun on the Saturday run at San Simeon in 2015, was very impressed by Andy and his gorgeous 914 6 .Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif Well I guess it was Wes - judging by your selfie, if he was doing 360s & "gettin air" in inverted flight!!!! new_shocked.gif

All kidding aside, yes it's a white knuckle ride in that -6 with the engine setup he's got in there! driving.gif piratenanner.gif

And when he was actively showing it in 2015, there wasn't any judge, fellow competitor, nor spectator who saw the before pix, who wasn't amazed by his work.

His skills on that -6, his prior 72 914/4 2056 & the one before that which I'd never saw (all YELLOW of course ;-) - earned him his current job, which in turn keeps him from doing much outside of work now! biggrin.gif

Andy lives a couple of miles from me, & called me in late 2014 for "coaching" on our Zone 8 Concours, so I had to tell him about the "cleaning contest", & have judged his car several times in 2015.

I got the Al Reed restored set of 5 Fuchs 2L wheels for my 73 2L's resto, when he converted his 72 20556 to 5-lug. I needed them cuz the original Fuchs were gone from mine back when I bought it from the OO in 75, who said the original dealer put those on instead because of the the wrong wheels (BO Recall for p/n; ...-00 wheels without the hub-centric groove for the 73> 914s, instead of p/n:....-01 with the grooves).

I've put in for a formal rule change/addition to our Zone 8 Concours Rules to make it standard that a car damaged in route/in transit &/or on-site of a Concours can get a waiver of not judging the damaged area at that particular event (currently at the discretion of the event's head judge, which can vary from show to show), based on Andy's problem in 2015.

He's had the damage repaired for some time now.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.