Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valentine One in ashtray
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I want a V1....but I dont want thiefs to know I have one....solution:place the V1 in my ashtray and have it pop up and out of the ashtray when i open it. INteresting....perhaps. Is it going to work....time will tell
Tom73
Not a bad idea considering where the ashtray is located. Now just to work out the "how" smile.gif

tom...
Gustl
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 06:16 PM)
I want a V1....but I dont want thiefs to know I have one....

just for an ignorant overseas guy ... what is a V1 confused24.gif wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Feb 23 2005, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 06:16 PM)
I want a V1....but I dont want thiefs to know I have one....

just for an ignorant overseas guy ... what is a V1 confused24.gif wacko.gif

a preettyy good radar detector
bd1308
no problem. I'll explain. Valentine One is the multi-directional radar detector....IMHO the best one out there. Tells you not only what is goign on but WHERE too!
drgchapman
It is radar dector, laser detector. Here in the states, the police use them to catch speeders. These devices, the Valentine being the best IMHO, help beat the radar guns. Less tickets for us heavy footed types. I have three V1's, they are great, plenty of time to slow down and make the speed limit.
bd1308
okay, here's what I'm thinking. you know how the "lid" of the ashtray pops up when the ashtray is pulled fully out? well I was going to try and see if i couldnt do the same thing to my Valentine One....and it should theroretically work.....
Gustl
many thanks for all explanations pray.gif

well ... that sounds illegal to me cool.gif ... at least in good old Europe wink.gif

John
It is radar dector, laser detector. Here in the states, the police use them to catch speeders. These devices, the Valentine being the best IMHO, help beat the radar guns. Less tickets for us heavy footed types. I have three V1's, they are great, plenty of time to slow down and make the speed limit.

I absolutely LOVE my V1, but in all honesty, it SUCKS when it comes to LASER!

Sure it goes off, but it only detects LASER when you are already BUSTED! (Ask me how I know) Damn cops. flipa.gif

On a lighter note, I've never been issued a ticket in any of my Porsches. Only in the American Iron that I have. (maybe I should drive the 'merican cars less and the German cars more) idea.gif

Back to the topic:

It would be cool to have one "pop-up" from the radar detector holder (there ain't no smokin in my car). But would that be high enough for the V1 to "see" to the rear? I don't think they can "see" through the backpad.
Aaron Cox
why not put in on your dash and hide it in the gloe box when you get busted?
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2005, 11:58 AM)

why not spend your money on your motor and get your car fixed correctly?? smile.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 23 2005, 12:14 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2005, 11:58 AM)

why not spend your money on your motor and get your car fixed correctly?? smile.gif

amen brother friend agree.gif

before you worry about steroes, and hidden radar detectors...get a car that runs and drives! agree.gif alfred.gif
bd1308
I have succumbed to the fact that my 914 will always run crappy....but it's getting fixed right now. Looks cool
iiibdsiil
At least you know better than to try to make it reliable.
bd1308
hey random question, does anybody have a Pertronix they want to sell?
Jenny
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 11:28 AM)
I have succumbed to the fact that my 914 will always run crappy....

Most crappy running 914s won't need a radar detector. laugh.gif

Jen
bd1308
QUOTE (Jenny @ Feb 23 2005, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 11:28 AM)
I have succumbed to the fact that my 914 will always run crappy....

Most crappy running 914s won't need a radar detector. laugh.gif

Jen

very very good point.
Joe Bob
Valentine makes a remote that hard wires to a V1 mounted some place inconspicuously....OR.....I "think" a earplug can be hooked up for open cars or motorcycles where wind noise is an issue.

My V1....has saved my ass more than a few times....

BTW...some newer GM products will give the laser detector a false hit when the rear brake lights come on....
campbellcj
Supposedly it's better to mount it up higher where it can "see" forward and backward clearly. The old K40 was designed to put the main unit in any covert location inside the car and the microwave detector remotely where it would get the best signal. The V1 has its detector in the main box so is not as flexible.

In my Audi I hardwired it up high between the mirror and passenger sunvisor. I have the remote display unit but haven't bothered to mess with it yet.

The really trick installation is inside a customized rear view mirror, and you could even mount the remote display in the dash alongside the stock gauges. Iff'n I get a new daily driver I might just try one of both of those projects.
drew365
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Feb 23 2005, 10:57 AM)

I absolutely LOVE my V1, but in all honesty, it SUCKS when it comes to LASER!

Sure it goes off, but it only detects LASER when you are already BUSTED! (Ask me how I know) Damn cops. flipa.gif

On a lighter note, I've never been issued a ticket in any of my Porsches. Only in the American Iron that I have. (maybe I should drive the 'merican cars less and the German cars more) idea.gif

Back to the topic:

It would be cool to have one "pop-up" from the radar detector holder (there ain't no smokin in my car). But would that be high enough for the V1 to "see" to the rear? I don't think they can "see" through the backpad.

I think you're talking about instant on laser like the motorcycle cops use. Nothing will protect you from that since the gun is not activated till they've spotted you and aimed directly at you. I got caught by instant on also. Out on the open highway I usually know a CHP is around close to a mile before I see him.
CptTripps
Out on the open highway I usually know a CHP is around close to a mile before I see him.

I used to love CHiPs. Great show...Ponch and Jon would have the BEST times together...and always 'get their man'.
dlo914
why not get one of these?
dlo914
wait nvm
Valentine One Radar/Laser detector is not built into or included with this mirror
a tad expensive at $800 for the mirror + V1... ohmy.gif booo....
John
I think you're talking about instant on laser like the motorcycle cops use. Nothing will protect you from that since the gun is not activated till they've spotted you and aimed directly at you. I got caught by instant on also. Out on the open highway I usually know a CHP is around close to a mile before I see him.

Yup. Out here in Kansas/Missouri, we have cops with what look like laser rifles. The one that caught me about a month ago was "hiding" just after the crest of a hill in a stretch of highway that happens to be 55mph (most are 65 around here). As I crested the hill, the laser detecter went off and I was busted 76 in a 55.

The sneaky bas*&^%$ like to have the cruiser running by the side of the road and "aim" the laser rifle at traffic, then jump in the car and have a "Hot Persuit". I think they spent too much time watching Dukes of Hazzard....

You are right, NOTHING can protect against that kind of speed trap.

I heard that you guys out in kalifornia don't need to worry about speeding tickets as you spend most of your time PARKED on the highways... laugh.gif (just kidding)
scotty914
here in maryland they have something called vascar. it basicly times you over a known distance and then figures your speed, the crazy thing is if they can see you they can get ya. there is one state trooper who sits on 83 north of baltimore city, he uses binos and gets you from 2 miles away from one hill to another.
bd1308
damn.....i got tagged by some cop that was on the other side of the road, came down the hill doign 74 (which is the year of my car, oddly enough) in a 55....he ripped his e-brake and threw on his lights and went over a median....i was like OMG ohmy.gif
larryp
Britt-

You fix your car in any orderthat makes sense to you. Don't listen to any of these guys, what do they know anyway. They are old.

You know, as long as the car is laid-up in the bodyshop anyway, it is a pretty good time to pop some flares on. It's going to happen sooner or later, and this will save you at least one trip to the shop.
Porcharu
Hey now,
My 914 will be able to use a good laser/radar detector/jammer. I just don't normally need one becauase I am boring and follow the traffic laws.
Steve, - can't wait to get out on the track.
bd1308
yeah....i thought it would be real coool. I just need to buy a valentine one.
Eric_Shea
I use a V1 mounted low on the dash in conjunction with a CB and a Scanner. The CB and the scanner are stacked in the ashtray of the 911.

The CB uses an antenna from Radio Shack that looks like an old cell phone antenna and the scanner loops into the regular antenna.

The scanner alerts you with an audible and visual cue when a police officer engages his transmit button within a mile. It also has a DOT band and a Weather band. Very handy. The CB is probably the best as all the truckers give the location of the troops. The V1 is a backup on those lonely roads where there's not a truck or a car for miles.

That being said, "any" radar detector will suck at Laser and/or instant on, which is what most of them use. Laser is pin point accurate. They could literally target your car and not set off the detector. Laser is still fairly uncommon. Instant on is the most common and can be just a deadly. That's why I back it up with those other toys.

I have to admit, on the highway I rarely need any of them. If you travel along at 80mph in a 75 zone you'll never be stopped and frankly 80 is good for me. If I want to go faster there's always Las Vegas Motor Speedway or the new Miller Motorsport park. Being the proud papa of a couple beautiful girls I also understand the principle of not going more than 5mph over in a public zone. I've graduated from a Bondurant and a Barber course... my concern is the other drivers who haven't. biggrin.gif

Not preaching... I've just come to that. Tickets can cost a lot of money. Money I can spend on "real" go fast goodies.
Steve
There is a really cool article on installing a V1 in a 993 tachometer.
http://p-car.com/diy/v1/remote/
If your running a four I wonder if you could switch the internals...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.