Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's official: The Boxster coupe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
horizontally-opposed
ATLANTA, February 23, 2005 — Porsche will be expanding its range of vehicles with the introduction of a new sports car based on the Boxster series in the 2006 model year. Positioned and priced between the 911 Carrera and the Boxster S, the new two-seat sports car, named the Cayman S, is aggressively styled to reflect its enhanced handling and more powerful engine. At the same time, highly efficient space utilization makes it one of the most practical sports cars in its class.

The Cayman S joins the Carrera, Boxster, and Cayenne, model designations that are already rich in tradition. It derives its name from the smallest of crocodiles, the caiman, which is known to be swift and nimble. With its more powerful 295 bhp, 3.4-liter, six-cylinder boxer engine mounted in the middle of its chassis, the new fixed-roof model reflects the strength and agility of its namesake perfectly and is capable of providing driving pleasure in its purest form.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 204 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.

# # #

horizontally-opposed
918-6 woulda been better... biggrin.gif

pete
bd1308
smilie_pokal.gif clap.gif sounds nice and the icon-ery looks awesome
Demick
Cayman barf.gif

Like the car - not the name.
horizontally-opposed
Yep, Cayman barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif

The car... chowtime.gif

pete
nebreitling
hard not to read that as "Gayman"

the should have at least spelled it Caiman...

oh well, like the car.
URY914
Stupid name.

Right up there with New Coke.
seanery
someone please hire me and pay me well so I can go out and get one of these cars!
JmuRiz
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Feb 23 2005, 09:55 AM)
hard not to read that as "Gayman"

the should have at least spelled it Caiman...

oh well, like the car.

agree.gif
Stupid name!
What, is Porsche affraid people these days don't like model Numbers for their cars...they have to have a 'name' like Pepper-wagon and Gay-man.

confused24.gif
horizontally-opposed
Best photos I could find in a hurry:

http://www.automotorundsport.de/d/74481

And an interesting teaser for potential customers (I guess the 914 demographic wasn't on their radar idea.gif )

http://www2.porsche.com/cayman/pme.asp

Cheers! smilie_pokal.gif

pete
RON S.
With a name like that,it sure wouldn't inspire me to run right out and buy one. blink.gif confused24.gif

I wonder how Schwartzenegger would respond to that name? screwy.gif

Ron
GTeener
Porsche should stick to number designations.

What is wrong with calling it Boxster Coupe? It is what it is...

The car is kind of interesting.

Looks like some huge blind spots though...
rick 918-S
What's the difference? Same old tired styling they've had since the 70's. It's cool that the car is high HP mid-motored but get a stylist to come up with something new.
serge914
Am I the only one that find it ugly? Maybe it is the color. It sure look just like another 911 to me.
Cayenne, Cayman, the next one will be called Cayak
GTeener
idea.gif
Back looks a little like a Chrysler Crossfire.

Wonder how the engine is accessed?
davep
First off, it looks a lot like an Audi TT.
A little manipulation, and you could have a Canam logo.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (GTeener @ Feb 23 2005, 10:20 AM)
idea.gif
Back looks a little like a Chrysler Crossfire.

Through the dealers service door.
Yea I see 959 in the rockers, new beetle in the rear fenders, Cross fire in the rear hatch, 911 in front. Whats with the sail panels? Maybe they need vinyl ala. 914
the results of a car orgy gone wrong. Hey who's your daddy? confused24.gif
MattR
QUOTE (GTeener @ Feb 23 2005, 10:20 AM)

Same as a 914... if something goes wrong, drop the engine biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Feb 23 2005, 06:49 PM)
918-6 woulda been better...   biggrin.gif

pete

I'd prefere a 916-8 drooley.gif happy11.gif
GWN7
I wonder if the beer tray on the back is retractable?
scooter311
Before I could defile that badge on my own, someone has to spoil the fun for me.

GayMan.
chairfall.gif

"Slip into the new Gayman, and experience the tight handling"

(disclaimer: not poking fun of the gay man or his lifestyle )

ArtechnikA
sounds like a croc to me ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Feb 23 2005, 01:07 PM)
What, is Porsche afraid people these days don't like model Numbers for their cars...they have to have a 'name' like Pepper-wagon...

again --

ya can't trademark a number!

now. in North America. (i know all about the 901 story, from France, 40 years ago. this is here, this is now.)
Demick
When I first saw these pictures of the Boxster Coupe, I thought - why would anyone buy a 911 when you can buy this instead? But then newer shots I have seen do not look nearly as good. I'm sure it will look great once it comes out.

Demick

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

seanery
this looks like it's a bit funky. I wonder if it's hiding something and may not be part of the car. cool_shades.gif
aircooledboy
agree.gif

Not an official Porsche pic. Looks like the standard camo crap car companies use to disguise a car during developement.
KaptKaos
Ugly looking thing. Would have to see it in the flesh. A hatchback? Don't they know that people in the USA don't buy hatchbacks (I have, but most don't). I guess they saw how the Z3 coupe and the Mercedes c230 set sales records and they figured that they needed a hatch on the damn thing. Does the TT Coupe have a hatch?

Hate the name too. What's wrong with numbers? I guess the 900 series of numbers is all but used up.

Overall, I give it 2 blahs!

- Joe
GaroldShaffer
kind of looks like a Chrysler Crossfire from the back to me.

rick 918-S
Hey Pete, Did you start this thread on any other BBS? Would be interesting to gauge the reaction of other Porsche guys.

The layout of the drivetrain is cool but the styling is boring. My feeling about the car seems to be the norm here.. Yaaann

The 911 guys may think it's cool. It will finally give them a 911 looking car that will compete with out 30 year old chassis. happy11.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If it's named after an alligator, why's it spelled like a group of islands best known as a haven for tax evaders? The Cap'n
type47fan
QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 23 2005, 11:21 AM)
this looks like it's a bit funky. I wonder if it's hiding something and may not be part of the car. cool_shades.gif

Could be that they just didn't hook up the hinges/struts of the hatch for easy, complete removal to access whatever is underneath. . . .
soloracer
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Feb 23 2005, 12:11 PM)
kind of looks like a Chrysler Crossfire from the back to me.

Speaking of the crossfire. A friend of mine said that Jeremy Clarkson called the styling "it looks like a dog taking a dump" and ever since that I can't get that image out of my head.
double-a
ugly design. the crossfire/new beetle design cues make it look like they're playing car-design catch-up with other companies. not original and not a great addition to the stable, imho. the name is terrible.

now, if it were boxy, with a profile that looked like a picnic basket with front and rear lids open, that would be something... biggrin.gif

~a
GTeener
I like the illustration in Demick's post better than the pictured car, but maybe, as already suggested, it's cloaked.

I read somewhere, maybe Automobile Mag., that Porsche already considered the track performance advantage of the mid-engine "Boxster Coupe" over the 911, so they intentionally reduced the power of the "Boxster Coupe" engine. screwy.gif

Wasn't that the similar reasoning for abandoning the 914? Because it was kicking the 911's butt on the race track?

It ain't easy being a middie biggrin.gif

GTeener
Better spy shots here:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spy-s...upe_page_6.html
seanery
it looks like everything after the doors is cloaked. I wouldn't be too surprised if it had a 914/Carrera GT style look to the ass end.
horizontally-opposed
Poor Aaron! chairfall.gif

Rick, I didn't post it elsewhere. I just like you guys... wink.gif And who else can relate to mid-engined madness?

Actually, all of these other spy "shots" are way off. The red car -- while pretty appealing, actually -- was an early stab while the black car was when they were still busy cloaking the whole rear end and trying to post up with those fake 911 exhausts... screwy.gif

The green car's secret lies in those "nubs" that are pointed out above, there is definitely a surprise under there.

I think the coupe *may* get flying butresses and one big-ass deckild a la Ferrari 355, though how that fits in with Porsche's bragging about lots of storage space is beyond me...there is only so much room above the Boxster motor.

pete
ArtechnikA
it doesn't matter what it looks like in Europe unless you live there.
i'll defer judgement until i see the US car, with the US bumper height, wheels, lights, and mirrors.
horizontally-opposed
Rick, I didn't post it elsewhere. I just like you guys... wink.gif And who else can relate to mid-engined madness?

Actually, all of these other spy "shots" are way off. The red car -- while pretty appealing, actually -- was an early stab while the black car was when they were still busy cloaking the whole rear end and trying to post up with those fake 911 exhausts... screwy.gif

The green car's secret lies in those "nubs" that are pointed out above, there is definitely a surprise under there.

I think the coupe *may* get flying butresses and one big-ass deckild a la Ferrari 355, though how that fits in with Porsche's bragging about lots of storage space is beyond me...there is only so much room above the Boxster motor.

pete
Hi_Fi_Guy
I'm sure the "model designation delete" option will be exercised by many a new owner.
redshift
I was all hot on the idea.... then I saw that it was a hatchback... err.... pickup truck.

This is the thing that I don't do, hatchbacks.

It's ok Aaron, I am 32% gay, we can still hang out.

M
ein 6er
i think it looks pretty good!! laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Feb 23 2005, 04:55 PM)

NICE!!!! i like it better already! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
Yes, that looks better. Not helping us, but yep.

Nissan calls their Boxster coupe '350Z'.

M
Aaron Cox
looks more like an elise now.....

i like it!!!!
redshift
No Aaron, it doesn't... the picture does... nothing has REALLY changed..

M
Gobstopper
Does anyone have anything positive to say about this car? I'm honestly pumpedthat Porsche is coming out with a Boxster coupe, me thinks its gonna be a pretty little thing. Me thinks its going to be my prescious.

But maybe i'm a bit biased, and maybe i'm a lot bit biased. I even think the 924's are pimp lokkin cars, so maybe i'm so biased towards Porsches that i'm off the deep end.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (ein 6er @ Feb 23 2005, 03:55 PM)

That already looks better! clap.gif Send it to the designers at Porsche aktion035.gif
redshift
Are they planning a convertible?

I thought they said coupe, when they say coupe, I think notchback... not HATCH.

M
Joe.D
German for Coupe = BMW M Coupe. Lots of space under that wagon back too

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/new...coupe_title.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.