Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 85 Lotus Espirit 2.2 turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Looks sexy as hell....fly yellow....dual dells with a blow thru turbo...any one know anything about the model? Mid engine, 2.2 four banger.....French Renault transmission... barf.gif

Has a blown head gasket...like I need another project....buddy of mine that does contract mechanical repair for the shop says it a not a hard fix.... they are asking around 8K.
vortrex
I think that's the one where you need to pull the motor to replace the timing belt.
bd1308
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TravisNeff
Do you think the head gaskget leak will let water into the engine when it transforms into a submarine?? heh.

Neat car, I think it would be a hoot!
soloracer
If you thought an old Porsche was hell to maintain get yourself a Lotus. Afterwards you'll think nothing of dropping $10K into your 914.
TravisNeff
Here's some info:
http://www.espritfactfile.com/Mod_Info.html

Although they looked fast, the very first Esprits were very under-powered. Horsepower of the Lotus Type 907 engine was a meager 160hp.

In the early 1980's a turbocharger was added to the Type 910. This improved performance to 210hp @ 6,500rpm and 200ft/lbs torque at 4250rpm. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, top speed was 140+ mph.
Mueller
i've seen a Ford SHO V6 motor in one, and a chevy V8 in the other....
rick 918-S
If you can steel it buy. They are unappreciated sport cars. I like um! But i'm a little screwy.gif
andys
If I have the model right, I believe that particular Renault transaxle, model UN1-XX (I think -25 for the Esprit) is one hell of a srong unit. UN1's have been used for V8 applications in European GT40 replica's for quite a few years (specifically, the UN1-013, which has great V8 ratio's). With the Derek Bell upgrades, they say you can put 500HP through them. A friend stateside has owned a GTD GT40 with one of these transaxles behind a 400HP SBF for 8 or 10 years without issue. As far as the rest of the Esprit goes????

Andy
Joe Bob
Look like this....

user posted image

Here's the link for specs...

link

One more...
user posted image
fiid
Esprits are awesome. They've been around almost as long as 911s and have undergone similar lifelong refinement - so the newer the better.

Lotus hardly make anything, and have been owned by Toyota, GM and numerous other car companies.... which means nearly everything on the car came from somewhere else. There is a list you can get of Lotus part numbers to OEM part numbers. The taill lights on that version came from the Rover SD1, and the side mirrors I believe are the infamous Citroen CX mirrors - to name just 2 examples.

The 4 cyl turbo esprit came in stock trim upto 300HP on the Sport300 so you shouldn't be left wanting for power. I would think if it got to expensive you could go for like a turbo zetec engine or maybe the audi Twin turbo v6...?

I would have gotten one of these if I didn't have the 914. Oh yeah - it's rumoured that insurance is RIDICULOUSLY cheap for Esprits because they really are pretty rare and they have no datapoints on the car. Let me know if that is true or not :-).

bd1308
i was going to say mikez that teh picture you posted was the wosrst picture i have ever seen.........
TravisNeff
lol2.gif I dunno, there has to be a cheaper way to pick up a hooker
fiid
The Essex has a special meaning in everyone's heart. It has a Red leather interior, IIRC.

I just don't know how to translate.
Root_Werks
The one in "Pretty Women", that is a cool year. Like 87' maybe? This one looks cool too, but must have been something a little different from 85' to 87' or so? idea.gif I agree with Rick, if you can get it for a song, why not? Something different for a while.
TimT
Ive always wanted an Esprit.

A friend of mine owns one... its an awesome car!!

fairly easy to work on, parts are tough to come by.

I buy it get rid of the carbs.. put a E6X on it.. wait I have enough projects already
Joe Bob
No Haltech for that one....Smog Weenies will disallow it. Needs to be same intake as delivered....unless the upgrade is CARB approved...
TravisNeff
Nationwide search on autotrader for 1980-1988

1988 $18K
1988 $18K
1984 $15K

TravisNeff
Nationwide search on autotrader for 1980-1988

1988 $18K
1988 $18K
1984 $15K

TravisNeff
Whoops

1984 15K
1984 15K
1985 15.5K
1987 18.7K
1988 16.5K

Most look like very low mileage. But for the price you are saying, could be a good buy

redshift
lol

Nice for a chevy conversion..

m
jwalters
I believe that one has the isuzu 4 banger in it--very easy to get parts, as as hell for stout as a mitsu 2L---that same engine has been copied by mitsu and upgraded--now what was the name..oh yea..."Basic Instinct"---great movie--same engine and renault has deep roots in F1 technology---ifn I had the cash I would jump all over it like a crack whore---- biggrin.gif
lapuwali
As I recall, it was right around '85 that Road & Track picked up a brand new Esprit in Jersey to drive to Newport Beach, CA. They didn't even make it across PA, and the final problem wasn't they're only problem. I think the thing that finally killed it was a terminally clogged cat.

Getting it smogged and keeping it smogged would be a nightmare. Turbo + carbs = ick.
pete-stevers
Buy the damn thing...8k sounds cheap.... biggrin.gif I have lots of room at the shop....I will even take it for a spin for you once in a while.....
redshift
Calling jwalters, calling jwalters... please send me a poster of your avatar...

ping!

M
lapuwali
QUOTE (jwalters @ Feb 23 2005, 02:29 PM)
I believe that one has the isuzu 4 banger in it--very easy to get parts, as as hell for stout as a mitsu 2L---that same engine has been copied by mitsu and upgraded--now what was the name..oh yea..."Basic Instinct"---great movie--same engine and renault has deep roots in F1 technology---ifn I had the cash I would jump all over it like a crack whore---- biggrin.gif

No, you're thinking of the second Elan, which used the whole Isuzu drivetrain (fwd package). The Esprit has used three engines, a non-turbo four, a turbo four, and a twin-turbo V8. Dunno who made the engines, but they were either their own or another European make.
jwalters
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 23 2005, 05:33 PM)
Calling jwalters, calling jwalters... please send me a poster of your avatar...

ping!

M

rolleyes.gif Ain't she purty-----purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
redshift
No excuses, no prodding, just send me the damned poster..

m
jwalters
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 23 2005, 05:42 PM)
No excuses, no prodding, just send me the damned poster..

m

wink.gif Take a trip down here and I'll introduce you--you can get your own....shots.... beer.gif
Joe Bob
Engine
Lotus 910 2174 cc four-cylinder in-line, 16-valve DOHC,
two Dellorto DHLA4OH side draugh carburettors.
Bore & Stroke: 95.25mm x 76.2mm. Compression: 7.5:1.
Block & Head: Aluminum alloy
Garrett AiResearch T3 Turbocharger running at 8psi
Power and Torque
210bhp @ 6250rpm
200lb ft @ 4500rpm
Body/Chassis
Glassfibre-reinforced plastic body with galvanised steel backbone chassis.
Passenger compartment encapsulated in a 'safety-cell structure'.
Transmission
Five-speed manual unit. Rear-wheel drive.
Clutch: 9.5in diaphragm spring, hydraulically operated.
Brakes
10.5in discs front
9.7in inboard discs rear
Dual braking system, split front/rear circuits
Steering
Rack-and-pinion
Suspension
Front: Independent by upper wishbones, lower transverse links, coil springs, anti-roll bar.
Rear: independent by non-parallel unequal-length double transverse links, radius arms, coil springs.
Wheels & Tyres
Front: 7J x 15
Rear: 8J x 15
Goodyear Grand Prix
Front: 195/60 VR15
Rear: 235/60 VR15
Weight
1,148kg
Performance
Top speed: 150mph
0-60mph: 5.6 sec
Fuel
Consumption: 23mpg.
Tank capacity: 15 gallons
jwalters
Hey Mike, arent you under the gun for getting rid of some of your other cars????

Or is this one that the missus won't know about?? lol2.gif
mike_the_man
I've got a buddy who's a big Lotus freak, he's got an 89 Esprit, a 74 Europa, and a 68 Elan. He seems to really like them. I think the Esprits are supposed to be pretty decent cars. Lots of interchangable parts, although some things are getting hard to find. My friends spent 4 months looking for a PCV valve for his. If it looks decent, go for it.

Joe Bob
Le cop cars....
user posted image

user posted image
soloracer
Those are the twin turbo V8 models. A guy here has 3 of them - including a beautiful black and silver 2005 model. He loves the car and the power. I haven't asked him about the reliability.

The car in Pretty Woman was the V8 model if I recall correctly.....
TravisNeff
that car was an 87 or 88 (as was the movie) didn't the do the V8's in the 90's?
Cap'n Krusty
I towed it there for a reason, Mikey. The owner (or PO), was looking at $7-8K for all it needed. Has piston slap that's scary. The Cap'n, who doesn't want to EVER see that car again.
Joe Bob
You've seen the car?
Aaron Cox
mike..get a europa.... smile.gif wub.gif
michel richard
Hey, I own a Europa (1967 S1a)

Michel Richard
914/6 2.2E MFI
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2005, 05:30 PM)
I towed it there for a reason, Mikey. The owner (or PO), was looking at $7-8K for all it needed. Has piston slap that's scary. The Cap'n, who doesn't want to EVER see that car again.

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Sheesh, this club's testicles. . .er I mean tentacles reach to amazing lengths. chairfall.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2005, 03:30 PM)
I towed it there for a reason, Mikey. The owner (or PO), was looking at $7-8K for all it needed. Has piston slap that's scary. The Lotus dealer in SLO wouldn't work n it, nor would the Brit shop that sold it. It's gray market, BTW. The Cap'n, who doesn't want to EVER see that car again.

Seen it? Looked at that thing for a month at a time, 4 times in the last year ............................................ The Cap'n, relieved that he no longer has to look at that thing.
Joe Bob
OK...Thanks for the warning, Dad pray.gif
markb
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2005, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 23 2005, 03:30 PM)
I towed it there for a reason, Mikey.  The owner (or PO), was looking at $7-8K for all it needed.  Has piston slap that's scary.  The Lotus dealer in SLO wouldn't work n it, nor would the Brit shop that sold it.  It's gray market, BTW.  The Cap'n, who doesn't want to EVER see that car again.

Seen it? Looked at that thing for a month at a time, 4 times in the last year ............................................ The Cap'n, relieved that he no longer has to look at that thing.

I was blinded by the color of the damn thing every time I walked into the shop.

If no one else will say it outright, Mikey....RUN AWAY RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.