Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw in studs for 4-bolt wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
No, I don't have pictures. I forgot my camera today. headbang.gif

I was working on stripping the orange car today... got part way into cutting metal for folks, and the power went out. wacko.gif

Anyways... when I pulled one of the wierd lugnuts, I discovered a screw-in wheel stud had been installed on the rotor. The one I checked was loose, but it was kind of interesting. The stud scewed in, and had a head that accepted an allen wrench for installation.

Has anyone seen these studs before? Are they worth holding on to?

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Feb 23 2005, 03:19 PM)
Has anyone seen these studs before?  Are they worth holding on to?

yes. no.

general consensus (sp?) around here is that the material is inferior and therefore they are to weak to be trusted ...
wink.gif Andy
Mueller
the screw-in studs with the hex head are cheap...I have just recieved a set of really nice high quality BBS brand screw in studs.....the portion that screws into the hubs is longer, then it is smooth (where it mates against the inside of the wheel for maximum trueness)...not cheap at about $7.00 each

available in 65, 75 and 90mm lengths....
Rusty
Looks like more metal for recycling! smile.gif
Twystd1
Yup,,

Got them on all four corners on one of my sawzalled teeners...

Surprised the heck out of Skline.. And me..

Twystd1
URY914
Those things are scary. I've twisted them right off. And now you have two ways for your wheel to come off, the nut or the stud come out. They are big with the VW crowd, but you should never pass a tech inspection with them.

I would NEVER use them.

Paul
Brando
They're a fairly viable accessory through any nearby VW parts and restoration shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.