Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stutgart46
I have a friend that has just purchased a 1.8 with FI & Hunt Headers. After he drives the car for 10 minutes the oil light comes on (the stock oil light). There are no puddles after the car sits and it doesn't smell like it's burning oil.
Any suggestions? wacko.gif
Kerrys914
I was always told if it a 914 doesn't leak or burn oil it MUST be out of oil biggrin.gif

Sorry I know it doesn't help wink.gif
r_towle
First instinct tells me that the oil pressure has dropped after the oil is warm......

So, take that one from there.....

Rich
Bleyseng
What are the oil temps? Could be that the bearing clearence is bad soo when the oil warm up not much oil pressure. Run thicker oil than 30wt and see.
Could also wrap the headers so the heat doesnt soak into the oil pan.

Geoff
Stutgart46
We'll give those things a shot. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
sanman
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 23 2005, 07:48 PM)
What are the oil temps? Could be that the bearing clearence is bad soo when the oil warm up not much oil pressure. Run thicker oil than 30wt and see.
Could also wrap the headers so the heat doesnt soak into the oil pan.

Geoff

agree.gif
type47
install oil pressure gauge
Rockaria
Maby first thing to do is replace the Oil pressure Switch on the engine. It would be a good time to do a two pole idiot light and presure switch. But if not just get a new switch and see what happens. They do go bad or maybe its just a funky ground somewhere that happens when the block gets hot?

smile.gif
Dave_Darling
I would rustle up a mechanical pressure gauge and plumb that into the mounting hole for the stock warning light sender. If the oil pressure is really dropping below 5 PSI at idle with the engine warmed up, that is something of a problem... Though it also depends what the pressure is at higher RPMs too.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.