Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what flag mirror fits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahycaramba
Hello,
Can anybody give me the gist on what model OEM Porsche Flag style outer side mirrors that will work for a 914? power, non power doesnt matter. Whats the going price for a nice set?

Thanks
Elliot Cannon
I've used both 944 and 911 flag mirrors. Both seem to fit pretty good. Are you prepared to drill some big holes in your doors? laugh.gif
914Sixer
Make sure you get the INSIDE the door support pieces for 944 or 911 mirrors.
jim_hoyland
944s on mine. BTW: there is a thread showing the positioning of the holes for the mirror brackets. The pics include a tape-measure on the body for alignment.

Elliot Cannon
Care must be taken to drill the holes in the doors so that the mirrors are mounted parallel to the ground. Too high or low puts them at an angle that can and does look kinda not good. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 19 2015, 05:59 PM) *

Care must be taken to drill the holes in the doors so that the mirrors are mounted parallel to the ground. Too high or low puts them at an angle that can and does look kinda not good. biggrin.gif

beer3.gif

agree.gif because the base of the mirror has a "hook" protruding, you can't just hold the mirror against the body to get the right fit.
ahycaramba
Thank You Elliot, Jim, and 914 Sixer for the help full information. very much appericaited.
aktion035.gif Al
carr914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 19 2015, 08:59 PM) *

agree.gif

This is what can happen if your Body Guy doesn't know what he is doing!

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I have read that you may need to file or grind (or mill) the mirror base to match the curve of the 914 door panel.

--DD
jim_hoyland
See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=21421

Care must be taken positioning the passenger side mirror in the fore-aft position. If it's blind-spot visibility your after, the 5 panel wink mirror is much better; plus the wink mirror doesn't require head movement to see either blind spots..
Cuda911
As an alternative, '73 Mustang mirrors work quite well.

Porschef
Jim, those mirrors look great. beer.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 21 2015, 01:07 PM) *

agree.gif

Looks great, seems to fit the car, and is well positioned!

Re: the 'stang ones, I am probably with the others on this board about that choice. But to each his or her own.
Cairo94507
No Mustang mirrors please.....
Elliot Cannon
I like the '73 mustang mirrors. I don't like the '73 mustang. biggrin.gif
siverson
the factory 914 mirror is one of my favorite design elements on the car.
eitnurg
My own experiences FWIW

1) flag mirrors are in 2 main parts, mirror head and base. The heads are the same, whether 911/944/928: only the bases differ.They can be swapped.
2) the heads are either early or late, the mirror fixing differs, otherwise indistinguishable.
3) euro glasses are available which are convex but without the "objects in this mirror......." etc legend.
4) use 911 bases but they need to be ground down to match the profile of the door.
5) use the reinforcing plate. It's a must.
6) the r/h side one is easy enough to fit but the l/h one becomes critical: a lot of material has to be removed from the base, there is only just enough left.
7) (and I haven't tried this) the standard position is that the driver's mirror is much further forward, and slightly further out, on the door. However if you use a RHD base (ie a passenger's) on the driver's side, with a bit of experimentation on the fore and aft position you should get a mirror that mounts better and tighter to the door, more suited to a 914.
The only trouble is that you might destroy a lot of doors in finding out......
worn
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Aug 5 2015, 12:38 PM) *

My own experiences FWIW

1) flag mirrors are in 2 main parts, mirror head and base. The heads are the same, whether 911/944/928: only the bases differ.They can be swapped.
2) the heads are either early or late, the mirror fixing differs, otherwise indistinguishable.
3) euro glasses are available which are convex but without the "objects in this mirror......." etc legend.
4) use 911 bases but they need to be ground down to match the profile of the door.
5) use the reinforcing plate. It's a must.
6) the r/h side one is easy enough to fit but the l/h one becomes critical: a lot of material has to be removed from the base, there is only just enough left.
7) (and I haven't tried this) the standard position is that the driver's mirror is much further forward, and slightly further out, on the door. However if you use a RHD base (ie a passenger's) on the driver's side, with a bit of experimentation on the fore and aft position you should get a mirror that mounts better and tighter to the door, more suited to a 914.
The only trouble is that you might destroy a lot of doors in finding out......

Anyone have a pin out for the 911 switches? I got one that looks like maybe late 80s. Newer than the one in my SC. Understand how it works, but which switch pins do what has me baffled. My mirrors are screaming green and the car will be Bahia red. Think I should paint the mirrors.
AndyB
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 21 2015, 04:07 PM) *

No Joe. slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.