Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suby install has a heart beat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
well i tried to start the car tonight but it would not, first the battery in the car is basicly shot. i had to jump it from my truck and it was turning over but not starting.

after playing with it for a couple of hours i got the check engine light to come on, which is a good start because it lets me know the brain is working, and i can at least plug an obd2 tester in to trace what ever problems there are. heres the rub i dont own a obd2 tester, does anybody on the east coast in pa md or nova have one i can borrow?

or some place very cheap that i can get it in a day or two

TIA
redshift
call AAA!

wink.gif

Soon! Soon! I can't wait to see this thingy.

M
Dr Evil
Scott,
Go to your FLAPS. OBDII is chaep and easy. I have an OBDI and it is way more expensive and used on less years.
scotty914
cheapest obd2 tester at my flaps is $126. but it is one that tells you what the code means. but HF has a cheapy at 40 bucks, just shows the codes then erases, no explaination on what they mean.

i am buying one of those tommarrow
airsix
Scott, some FLAPS rent them. You might try that.

-Ben M.
scotty914
icon_bump.gif
BIGKAT_83
Scott check here for a list of Subaru trouble codes.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Subaru/

Bob screwy.gif
dlo914
i know Autozone rents them out with a $180 deposit....
scotty914
well i have two trouble codes, one is gas tank level, not important but easily fixed, the other is the map sensor. i guess when they shipped me the engine the forgot soemthing, but i will dig and see if i have it tommarrow. i guess they sent me everything else in the car including keyless entry stuff it will be ok if they missed some thing. and i do have a suby honda dismantler about 45 mins from so it should not be too bad to get one.
bd1308
dude I want a VW 1218!!!!!!!
Chris H.
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 24 2005, 07:56 PM)
well i have two trouble codes, one is gas tank level, not important but easily fixed, the other is the map sensor. i guess when they shipped me the engine the forgot soemthing, but i will dig and see if i have it tommarrow. i guess they sent me everything else in the car including keyless entry stuff it will be ok if they missed some thing. and i do have a suby honda dismantler about 45 mins from so it should not be too bad to get one.

If your engine is a 1999 or older you actually have a MAF sensor. I found this link on the subject.

Link
scotty914
QUOTE (Chris H. @ Feb 24 2005, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 24 2005, 07:56 PM)

If your engine is a 1999 or older you actually have a MAF sensor. I found this link on the subject.

Link

actually it has both, it has a maf and a pressure sensor that doubes as a boost sensor on the turbos, it also checks ambiant pressure as well
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif Way over my head, but really cool!
ArtechnikA
VAG-COM ( from Ross-Tech ) now reads and displays OBD-II codes on many cars. i know for a fact it works on my '97 and '04 Subarus ...

even in Key-COM (or Key-USB) guise it's a bit more expensive than a generic OBD-II tool but it is THE BEST tool available for VW and Audi if you have any of those in your fleet.

full-disclosure mode: Ross-Tech is my day job, where i'm developing the soon-to-be-released BMW/Mini tool ...
Hydra
hey scott
could you send me some some pics of the install?
i'm having an svx engine put in there, and i was thinking about having a custom-made radiator mounted horizontally under the engine lid (mine is a homegrown double-grilled, GT-style) with two 20cm diameter fans on the radiator and a shroud that will run all the way to the bottom of the car, where there will be a large scoop.
i'll be mating it to a subaru 5 speed gearbox .
Any ideas would be of great help, especially about cooling.

thanks
scotty914
QUOTE (Hydra @ Feb 25 2005, 07:28 AM)
i was thinking about having a custom-made radiator mounted horizontally under the engine lid (mine is a homegrown double-grilled, GT-style) with two 20cm diameter fans on the radiator and a shroud that will run all the way to the bottom of the car, where there will be a large scoop.

thanks

first i will say there is a lot of people who think my set up wont work for cooling, because my rad is in front of the motor. second, 2 20 cm fans works out to 2 5 inch fans, i am running one 1400 cfm 12 inch fan, for idle and stuff. secondly years ago on the bird board there was a big debate wither the engine lid was at a vacumn or at pressure ( not much of either ), so i dont now how well it would work, because there is no forced flow ( not fan forced ) through the engine lid. a few people have put oil coolers and ac condesors there, but then that was IIRC with the engine fan pulling air down.

as for pics put my name in the search with suby as the word you are looking for, and it should turn up many pics, if it pulles up too many other words to use are radiator, and welding
Hydra
What about the gearbox, has anyone tried the 5 speed manual impreza gearbox?
scotty914
QUOTE (Hydra @ Feb 25 2005, 02:51 PM)
What about the gearbox, has anyone tried the 5 speed manual impreza gearbox?

you could use one but then you would have to work a shifter out, i plan on doing scotts tool wench some day with a suby auto trany
Series9
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 03:54 PM)
i plan on doing scotts tool wench some day with a suby auto trany

Shouldn't you do her with your own manual... huh.gif
scotts-toolwench
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 02:54 PM)
[ i plan on doing scotts tool wench some day with a suby auto trany

ohmy.gif huh.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif unsure.gif

Um, I think he meant the 914 he's gonna buy me...or at least I hope that's what he meant......Gawd.........
Hydra
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.