Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still wont start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
My car will still not start . Recap: after having taken it out for a short run and then parking it up it started briefly misfiring I stepped on the gas it ran ok started misfiring again and then died.

This is what I have done so far without any result

Checked harness at brain end it checked out good, CHT 2700 ohm at brain end.
Replaced rotor, dizzy cap and points. I have a spark also Static timed engine
I have compression although not measured I could feel it when I turned the wheel by hand to set the timing
Cleaned fuel filter
Fuel pump starts pressure just over 28psi measured with gauge
Removed one injector and cranked it sprays fuel, amount not known
Removed plugs they look kind of dry to my newbie eye.
Checked ground they are good 0,3 ohm ECU engine

After seeing dry plugs I floored the gas and cranked the engine. With the pedal to the metal it sounds like it wants to start but just can't get there.

If anyone has any ideas please post them as you will understand I need help
Dave_Darling
Find a compression tester and do the test on all four; don't rely on "well there was some resistance".

Look through every wire and every hose in the engine bay. Are any of them disconnected? Are the connections solid? Sometimes an electrical plug will make a bad or no connection, even when it looks like it is plugged together.

--DD
Spoke
If you poured gas in the throttle and it didn't fire up it could be spark related. Check the FI contacts on the distributor.
Heeltoe914
Ground under air box on case.
pull one injector see if it sprays.
MPS dose it hold Vacum????
Fuel filter clog?
Wire for CHT is it connected?
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 21 2015, 08:47 AM) *

Fuel filter clog?

All the above are ok Anymore ideas anyone,,,,
I will be in Boston next week to visit a buddy are there any 914 members in that area who would be willing to talk this over?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Jun 22 2015, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 21 2015, 08:47 AM) *

Fuel filter clog?

All the above are ok Anymore ideas anyone,,,,
I will be in Boston next week to visit a buddy are there any 914 members in that area who would be willing to talk this over?

My shop is 2 hours from Boston.
Spoke
Have you verified that you have spark? Sounds like you have fuel.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 22 2015, 10:01 AM) *

Have you verified that you have spark? Sounds like you have fuel.

I have connected a strobe and it strobes so I guess I have a spark. I need to pull a plug and see it with my own eyes
Nine_14
Bad fuel ?
cwpeden
Distributor. Check points and ground wire between plates
DavidSweden
I returning to Sweden yesterday after spending 2 1/2 weeks in the USA.
The new head temp sensor I had ordered was waiting for me so I installed it this evening.

The engine fired up first time but it was running a bit rough, it was only static timed. I turned of the engine to connect the timing light. Then it refused to start again.
I am totally at a loss at to what the problem can be, its been a month since the engine ran. Summer is short in Sweden and it sucks that the car is standing in the garage.

If anyone has any ideas as what the problem can be please let me know.

Thanks
sfrenck
Put the idle back to where you can get it to run, fire it up, and then check the temperature of the exhaust pipes leaving each cylinder (I did it using a wet finger). If you find cold exhaust pipes, you may narrow down your problem to 1 or 2 cylinders.
914Mels
Someone mentioned bad fuel earlier, this sounds like what you have going on. If you can verify good spark at all the cylinders and the car was running OK before it started misfiring, I would check a sample of the gas in the tank. The fuel pump will pump what ever liquid is in there and show good pressure and a spray pattern at the injector. Why don't you unplug all the injectors and try running it off a spray can of carb cleaner. If it starts off the cleaner, you now know it's some sort of fuel problem. If it won't start on this, you are on to spark issues, baring any mechanical problems, tight valves, etc.
ChrisFoley
Its too lean.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 8 2015, 12:49 PM) *

Its too lean.

Chris,
Thanks for the input, I have a couple of questions;
Why should it suddenly start running too lean and how do I fix it?

I wanted to visit your shop when I was in Boston last week unfortunately I just couldn't get there my buddy had arranged a lot of stuff and then there was the 4th.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.