Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rig up a tube for throttle cable - HOW WOULD YOU?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
my throttle tube seems to have a blockage somewhere between the seats due to a welding repair of my severely rusted out floor board and cross supports.

I was thinking of running a new tube - quick and dirty - above center tunnel, to deal with this problem in the short term.

how would you tackle this?
DBCooper
Bicycle brake cable, it's my accelerator cable in almost exactly the same situation and works great. You can buy by the foot, any length, in any good bike shop. Get the good quality.

mepstein
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 20 2015, 06:42 PM) *

Bicycle brake cable, it's my accelerator cable in almost exactly the same situation and works great. You can buy by the foot, any length, in any good bike shop. Get the good quality.

That was my thought. I would also use the cable housing and run it down the tunnel. If the stock size isnt long enough, get the bike shop or go online and order a tandem brake cable. Put some grease on the cable.
jimkelly
i'm sensing a trend in thought pattern amongst you guys : ) thanks : )
Maltese Falcon
I would run a dedicated cable either through the tunnel, or just outside the tunnel, in a newly custom built unit. It would not be bare cable (like stock 914) anywhere towards the pedal cluster, just 100% enclosed cable.
This company can build it from your design, quick and decent pricing.
Controlcables.com
In the 562 area code, SoCal.
Marty
r_towle
Weld a drill bit of the correct diameter to a long steel rod of the same diameter.
Bend the rear section straight and shove your custom bit in there and drill out the original tube...

OR
Find the section with the crap in it.
Cut that section out.
Now use a bike cable inside the original tube all the way out the back...
You may be able to reach in there and help the new cable and bolen to go from the two tubes you cut...

Not sure if the tube is big enough for a bolen cable inside....

Also, for a bolen cable to work properly, the bolen needs to be clamped at both ends, so it cannot move.

jimkelly
nobody can do half assed like me. I got most of the cable run. I decided to use the cable from a stock 914-4 throttle cable assy, except for the carb non threaded end, which I cut off using a very nice tool pictured. I ran the cable thru a new sheath to engine bay and tossed the stock cable sheathing. see pics. I need to get nicer stuff, ball style for carb end.
DBCooper
Congratulations. You're now qualified as a DAPO for some future owner far in the future.

d914
we did a hydraulic clutch,,, so made an adapter for the end of clutch tube. ....
Mike Bellis
Lokar make neat throttle cable kits and Spectre makes a similar kit. I once used parts from each of these kits with a 12' bicycle brake cable and -3AN braided PTFE brake hose to run a throttle cable from the gas pedal to the carb on my V8.

The PTFE brake hose has a slick semi rigid PTFE liner. Perfect for cables to run in. The throttle cable kits have all the threaded adjustable ends and ball ends.

Just in case you want to redo this better or different. It is an investment in misc parts over $100. But it will look great when you're done. Buy 2 Spectre kits for less than 1 Lokar kit. Available at your FLAPS.
jimkelly
yesterday I ordered these 2 bits cause it seems I need to go thru this hole to have full range movement. cause what I got now doesn't work.
jimkelly
ok, had a custom aluminum bracket made, and installed a lokar throttle swivel. just need a very thin 1/2 wrench to tighten the lokar down : (
jimkelly
came out good : )
next up I need to check clutch cable setting.
then I have decided to swap out proportioning valve for an adjustable unit cause I must have tons of air in my brake lines : (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqM1mONOYs
stugray
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 5 2015, 12:41 PM) *

then I have decided to swap out proportioning valve for an adjustable unit cause I must have tons of air in my brake lines : (

In my recent research, this is the most valuable piece of information about aftermarket prop valves:

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads...oning-Valve.pdf

I intend to swap out the stock one with the lever version and install it in the firewall between the seats. But I havent pulled the trigger on that yet.
jimkelly
that is good info.

i think i'll go with a rotary type for low price and just dial it all the way in/out? for 57% choke down to rear brakes.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/260-1262...roductId=744516
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.