Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Encapsulator or Self Etching Primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bperry
Got an order of L65K rattle can enamel paint from Tower coming in for my engine bay cleanup.

Which would be better for the Engine bay as a primer for enamel:
Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator or a self etching primer?
I can get the self etch in green which might be easier to topcoat
since its already green.

I'm leaning towards using the silver or Red Rust encapsulator as a primer.
Tower said it was fine for use under their paint and I never want
to do this ever again.

How well does the Rust Encapsulator stuff flow?
I'm assuming aerosol is smoother than than using a brush and
is the way to go.

Anybody have any experience with using Eastwood's Rust encapsulator
under an enamel in the engine bay?

Any suggestions?

--- Bill
scotty914
por 15 or rust bullet, they only way to go
xsboost90
depends if your engine bay is rusty or just bare metal. If its nice, just etch primer. If its crusty like mine was in spots, use some por15 onthe rough spots and either buy the prep for por15 over bare metal, or etch primer the rest.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I think we all should dip our 914's it POR 15 .
My 2 cents Dave happy11.gif

ar15.gif RUST ar15.gif
JmuRiz
I was wondering about the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator as well. Since it comes in a spray can, the application would be simple.
I have used POR15 in the past, but the spray can would be easier. Anyone use this stuff?
Bill - Let me know how yours turns out, I'm thinking about doing the same next time the engine is out! Ravenna green also smoke.gif
rhodyguy
i used MayHyde to treat the rust, then the self etching primer (i used the grey since the top coat would be sliver), then the color match paint. hasn't lifted at all. MarHyde is available at most auto body/paint supply stores. it's very inexspensive also. Marhyde can be applied with a disposable plastic spray bottle.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.