Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Original Owners out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brent
You are my true hero(es)! What was it like to buy the 914 from the dealer? What were the options given?

I was 8 when I saw my brothers Little League baseball coach drive up to a practice, park, pull his targa top out from the trunk and snap it on. It was an impression that has my fire burning to this day, even though I like it now for far deeper reasons that the gadget like workings impressionable to a kid.
ChrisReale
I think all the original owners died of shame and embarassment laugh.gif
Brent
I ran into that Little League coach a couple of years back at a mall. He still had the car, just poured money back into it. We were in passing as he said he was going to sell it soon. Did anyone here buy a Silver one owner car from San Jose? His first name was Jim and last escapes me right now.
Lou W
ChrisReale   Posted on Feb 23 2005, 10:56 PM I think all the original owners died of shame and embarassment laugh.gif

No, I think they just rusted away. laugh.gif
Brent
Nice.... any other comments other than the obvious from the peanut gallery?
Lou W
My cousin, who was the previous owner of my 74 914, bought his first one new in 1971, it was Golden Metalic with tan interior. He drove it until it was stolen in 1974, it was recovered in Arizona stripped. He must have been pretty happy with his first one, because he bought the next one right away. He put a ton of miles on both of them. smile.gif
Brent
Sweet, thats the kinda love I was looking for! Would your cousin be interested in sharing his purchase details with us? He has two new car purchases to share, a real wealth of potential lost history.
BIGKAT_83
Test drove some new ones at the Porsche dealer in 1973. Remember driving both a 1.7 and 2.0
Bought a 73 BMW 2002 instead. I finally got a 74 914 in 1984 and still have the same car today.

Bob
Brent
What happened to the 2002? That was a more sought after car when I was in HS in 1984.
BIGKAT_83
Sold the 2002 in 1976 when I got a job that furnished a company car.
I'm looking for a 2002 now for a project with my nephew. Those things are great cars but suffer from rust problems like the 914.
Brent
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 24 2005, 01:25 AM)
Those things are great cars but suffer from rust problems like the 914.

agree.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I was looking at a new 73 Pontiac Gran Prix for $3800. I drove by Conine-Swab Porsche-Audi and saw the 914 for the first time. It was love at first sight. Stopped, drove it, bought it. It was a 1.7 with AC, chrome bumpers, console, and Pedrini's. $5050.00. I still have it, but it has sucummed to the rust monster. It went swimming during a major flood. It had over 400,000 miles when I retired it. The motor still runs and has been installed in two other cars. It has well over half a million miles. It was rebuilt once at 349,000 mi.
Bleyseng
I first saw and rode in a 914 my senior year in HS,Spring 1970. A friends gf's dad worked in a VW/Porsche dealer and bought her a white one. We packed four people into that car, top off and drove around all night. Loved that!
Second time, I went to the Porsche/Audi dealer to buy a car as I was married now. Test drove a orange 76 2.0l but the wife said we need something practical so we bought a Dasher SW. dry.gif

Since then I have eyed 914's for sale, reading magazines etc until I first got separated in 95. First thing, I found the 914 I have and bought it. biggrin.gif

Geoff
boxerboy
While I didn't end up buying it I remember visiting the Porsche + Audi dealership in Rockford Illinois in 1975 to look at a new 1976 914 2.0. It was a beautiful Malaga red and had a set of minilites (wheels) that really set the car off.

I had already purchased an Audi 100 (what a nightmare that was) but what I really wanted was a sports car to replace the 1959 Triumph TR-3 I had just sold. After side curtains and a very leaky top, those roll up windows and targa top looked mighty fine to me.

I can't remember the sticker price but the dealer was pretty willing to deal on the car. I'm sure they knew that the car was near the end of days and they wanted to get it out the door. It sure looked great sitting there on the floor and I had my checkbook in hand ready to once again plunge myself into serious debt.

For better or for worse, the spousal unit stepped in and vetoed the transaction. We bought our first house instead, but I lusted after 914's until 1979 when I bought a used '74 2.0 (Zambezi Green). I still get whiplash when I see a Malaga Red 914 (actually when I see ANY 914 these days) and I keep looking for another 914 with those Minilites. Man, did they look great on that car. Anyone have a set?
ConeDodger
I bought a one owner silver mettalic 2.0 liter with 77K miles. It was purchased at Sierra Porsche in Riverside and still has its window sticker and all the maintainance records. It is very clean.
My passion for the 914 simmered for years. I have autocrossed a variety of cars for years. In the 80s I had both a new RX7and a 70s 240Z. I would go to every autocross and enter B Street Prepared in whatever I had decided to drive that day. The son of the owners of Karousel Racing the catalog company that used to sell speed parts would show up once a year in a white 914 and just spank me. Thing is I would win every time when he wasn't there. I decided the second time it happened that I had to have one some day.
Now I do but it is almost too nice to autocross. I may need a second!
Rob
DonTraver
I'm the 2nd owner of my 914-6. My step-dad owned her for 30 years, then sold her to me.

He still had all the reciepts for any work he had done on her. Here's one for adjusting the valves for $40. Last time I checked the going price was $650 to $700 for valves.
DonTraver
When I finished restoring the 914-6, I took her over to my step-dads to show and let him drive her. I gave him the keys, he looked at me and said, "I never let anyone drive her for 30 years, you shouldn't either", and gave me the keys back.

So she's a family treasure.

Here's another reciept for major engine work, sure wish I could get those prices today.
jfort
there was a guy at last year's MWC who was the original owner. silver car if i remember right
anthony
QUOTE (Brent @ Feb 23 2005, 11:34 PM)
I was 8 when I saw my brothers Little League baseball coach drive up to a practice, park, pull his targa top out from the trunk and snap it on. It was an impression that has my fire burning to this day, even though I like it now for far deeper reasons that the gadget like workings impressionable to a kid.

My uncle had two brand new 914s - a '72 and then a '74 2L. My biggest impression was going 60mph around a clover leaf freeway onramp. I had never before experienced such g-force in a car. After that I was hooked. I must have been 9 or 10 years old.

I had a chance to buy the car for $8K and at the time that was a small fortune to me. I still regret not being in a position to buy that car. When he sold it it had 75K miles and was in mint/concours condition.

rick 918-S
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 24 2005, 01:25 AM)
Sold the 2002 in 1976 when I got a job that furnished a company car.
I'm looking for a 2002 now for a project with my nephew. Those things are great cars but suffer from rust problems like the 914.

Here's a 2002 for sale... Great project does have a little rust. Not too bad though. Sorry for the hi-jack.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE (jfort @ Feb 24 2005, 11:14 AM)
there was a guy at last year's MWC who was the original owner. silver car if i remember right

I remember an orange one out of the Cleveland area. Original owner, Les, I think his name was. Beautiful car!
bd1308
i love 2002s.....anybody have one? Are they quick by any means?
smg914
When I was 19 my dad and I went to the local Porsche dealer and I ordered a new Phoenix Red 1973 914 2.0. I wanted Zambezi Green but they couldn't get me one in that color before the $600.00 price increase that was about to be implemented. I drove the car everyday and put 110,000 miles on it and sold it in 1979 to buy the Blood Orange 1970 914-6 that I still have today.

When I ordered the '73 2 Liter it cost $5,318.50. In fact I still have the window sticker. This car came with the Appearance Group and the Performance Group. My dad helped me a little with the downpayment but I made car payments for 3 years which were $137.50 a month. I was only making $75.00 a week back then. Thats how bad I wanted a 914. Most of the money I made was spent on the car.

I would have to say that the day the dealership called and said that the car has arrived and is ready for deliverly was without a doubt the single most exciting day of my life. I will never forget pulling out of the dealership in my brand new Porsche. The car was extremely reliable and made me a loyal 914 lover for life. I have not been without a 914 since that day. Over the years I've owned 7 914's and everyone of them were special. The only reason I ever sold one of my 914's was because one in superior condition would come along and I either needed the money to purchase the new one or I just didn't have room for another car.

The 914 is a special car that puts a smile on my face everytime I drive one. In fact I took my 914-6 out for a cruise yesterday. I've owned my 6 for over 26 years and I only had the top on the car a couple of times. If the weather is not nice enough for the top off, then I don't take the car out of the garage. There has been many times that I've driven my 911, brought it home and immediately got in one of my 914's and each time the 914 feels and drives fantastic. Driving a 911 takes nothing away from the 914. They are two totally different cars that have totally different driving characteristics.

Well I hope you enjoyed my story. I've been telling this story for a long time now and I guess I will be telling it for many years to come.
Curvie Roadlover
pray.gif 2002tii wub.gif
TJB/914

Brad Shisler from Columbus, Ohio is an original owner of a beautiful 1975 orange 914. It's one of the top original cars in the country. I hope he attends MWC-2005 this year. I can't show his car because of the file size. He won best original at our 2004 meet.

Tom
Curvie Roadlover
Brad bought the car from the original owner 6 months or so after it was purchased new, I believe.
GaroldShaffer
IIRC Brad Mayeur is the original owner of his 74. Of course I can't find the pitcure of him & his car dry.gif
iamchappy
I purchased a 1973 Phoenix Red fully optioned 2.0 off the dealers showroom floor when I graduated from high-school. I had it until it became the donor car for my turbo car, very sad day for me when I sawed it up.

I never figured I would of kept it for 30 years and wished I hadn't driven it in the winters and parked it outside for the first 7 years of its life. It still lives in turbo car.
GaroldShaffer
Brad Mayeur's car at the MWC last year.

Porsche Rescue
I purchased a tangerine 1970 914 with appearance group, optional chrome wheels and Blaupunkt am/fm in June of 1970. Total cost was $4300. I was 28 years old and working as a public school teacher. I only kept the car for 8 months, deciding it was a luxury I could not afford. I had always owned older, low-mile cars prior to that time and I could not cope with the depreciation of a new car. Since then I have owned well over 100 cars and only one other was purchased new, a 1978 Chev Malibu, after totaling a 912 by falling asleep at the wheel. That experience caused me to swear off sports cars. The pledge lasted about 6 months (as if falling asleep had anything to do with the car)!

The other new model at the time was the Datsun 240Z. I didn't even go to the showroom. I wanted a Porsche. I hadn't heard of BMW 2002's at the time.
Found out soon enough. A new 2002 approached from the rear on a 2-lane on ramp. I decided to show him a thing or two in my bright orange Porsche. Downshifted and put pedal to the metal. He blew by in a nanosecond. Not even sure he had to downshift!
anderssj
I bought mine (Irish Green/tan with appearance group) in late May of '72 while at AF Academy. Dealer was Alpine P-A, salesman was Bill Miller. I think I still have the original receipt in the glove box; also saved one of the 8-page advert booklets from the dealer.

When I ordered the car (Dec '71?), the 914-6 was still available. I also remember asking about number "M471" on the option list. I wish I knew then what I know now!

Alpine P-A and Porsche did a couple of interesting things to get us hooked: first, a free screeing of McQueen's "LeMans." A couple of weeks later they rented the raceway at Castle Rock and spent the better part of a Saturday giving prospective buyers "rides" around the track. The cadets weren't allowed to drive the cars [2 x 914/6, 2 x 914/4], but the drivers (Ritchie Ginther, Alan Johnson, and two Germans) more than made up for that.

Alpine P-A sold more than 70 914s to AF cadets that year. No cost break, but they installed American Racing "LeMans" wheels on all of them. At least 5 of those 70+ were in my squadron (2 Alpine White [both non-AP], 2 Irish Green [mine with AP, the other without], and 1 blue). The blue one was traded for a Vega (I'm NOT kidding) in spring of 73, while the other green one burned up on Monument Pass (early FI line failure) about the same time. Don't know what became of the white ones . . . .

The first time I started mine up, the fuel level warning light came on. Salesman said that meant it had 1/4 tank. I made it about 2 blocks before it ran out of gas and I was pushing my new car into a Gulf station. Not a great start, but no harm done.

My car was a daily driver until 1992, when it became a hobby (another car took over the daily driver duties). It just turned over 229,000 miles a couple of weeks ago.

I know three other original owners in the local area, though they're not on this list. One's a classmate from AFA (silver 72; he can't take the top off and open the door--rust), another with a light green 73 (never seen this car, currently not running), finally a mechanic friend with an Irish Green 70 914-6 (this is on a lift in his shop--hasn't been driven in years). BTW, he rebuilt my car's current 2.0L while I was overseas in 1982--a really nice motor.

Sorry for the long--and rambling--post . . . but it was fun recalling all of this. Thanks for reminding me!

Best,

Steve A-
grasshopper
theres a guy in virginia with an original 1970 914-6 that he bought new from the factory. He then developed cancer and it got put away for about 10 years. Then somehow he got over the cancer but when he returned to the car(It had been sitting in an open carport with just a cover) It had major rust problems and the engine didn't turn over. Now he dumped about 20 grand into it and it looks almost new. I'll try to get a pic sometime
Jamie
How about son of original owner- and I'm also only the 2nd driver! Dad bought his 73 1.7 new from dealer in Dayton OH, and I inherited "Dad's Mistress" last Sept. When I drove it to dentist 2 days ago it turned over 42K and has no rust issues because if it looked like rain he didn't drive it! I have all the original paperwork, dealer key tag, delivery sticker,etc. I will keep it original, especially since it's my first project car since the Bugeye Sprite I drove and AX'ed for 12 yrs. in the mid 60's. I'm even beginning to like Delphi Green!
914geezer
I am still the original owner of a '73 Phoenix Red 2.0, purchased new at Mahan Porsche-Audi in Salem, VA in October of '72.

Dave Mahan, the owner, told me it was one of the first four 2-liters on the east coast. He was able to get by being "in the right place at the right time". Never have been able to confirm that. It has a fairly early '73 VIN but I have never seen a list that indicated when they started the 2.0 engines.

As for details of the purchase, as well as I can recall, I was at the dealer for service on the 100LS Audi and saw it in the showroom. It was the only 2.0 they had (as above) and may have been the only 914. I was ready to trade in a '69 Spitfire and had looked at the 240Z. The Z seemed too big and the upholstery, sort of unborn dragon skin vinyl, was a negative.

I was hooked after driving it! The acceleation reminded me of the '56 Corvette I sold the day before I was married in '62 and of course the handling was much better. It was a daily driver, snow and all, for several years and gradually became a play car. Started track events in it and did them for a few years before getting a 2.4 six which was later traded for a race prepped 944 in '85 which we Firehawk raced in '86-'87.

Still autocross the 914 in VA with Blue Ridge Region SCCA, even won C stock annual series as recently as '03, then a well driven Miata got me last year. Over the years the car was in A/S, B/S as well as C/S and was always competive with dozens of wins to its credit including several with my wife driving, until she "grew up" as she says.

Drove it to two PCA Parades, Ozarks '83 and Downeast '?? and did OK even 3rd in full concours both years (first of the "really driven" 914's IMO). Planning to take it to Hershey this year and enter the preservation class where they reportedly take into consideration that a car has been "used as it was intended to be". Will also, of course, autocross. Still has original paint on right door and rear, front and left door are repainted. Got dinged on dealers lot on right front early on and not much later in left door, both while it was parked, otherwise could be all original maybe.

This is probably more than you wanted to know already? I'm open to questions, but may not be able to answer all as the car is in VA and I am in FL until early May.

The mileage, an obvious question it dawns on me, is 72,502. Just happen to have written that down as insurance renewal is usually before getting back to VA and they always ask so this year I'm prepared.
John
My dad bought our track car new in 1974. (he is the other one of "our" that I always refer to)

The car is now red, has a life of track only. For quite a while this was a street car (1974-1988). In about 1986, the car was in it's first DE. In 1988, it became a track only car. In about 1990, the car was converted to a six with the 3.2 it still has.

My dad and I still do DE events with his (our) car each year and keep "upgrading" it. I tend to do the work and he buys the parts I talk him into buying. (This winter it was a 930 front suspension, repaint of the front fenders, and gutting of the interior).

The car can keep pace with the local hopped up 944 turbos and we have a ball with it.

"We" (my dad and I) also have the to-be-a-track-car on a roticorie now so we will each have a track car.

The other cars I have listed are mine (and I am too young to have bought them new).

So now you know a little more about me and my cars.
Brent
These posts are priceless to me. I want to thank you all for your great stories of passion, passion which I still have after 30 years. Beleive me, no post is too long on this thread, I love this stuff. My wife even calls me when she sees one on the road. I get excited even when I look up and it is 9:14 on the digital clock. I keep bills that pass to me that have 914 in the serial number. I've got it bad. My son is actually starting Farm division Little League this year and my goal is to get one car going to take to his practices. I have no funds, no workspace and little mechanical knowledge but I have passion.

Several of you have mentioned Appearance Package or Performance Package. What exactly did that include?
-Brent
Porsche Rescue
In the "beginning" (1970) the standard car came with body colored bumpers, sail panels and trim on the roll bar, no fog lights. Looked very odd in the days of Detroit chrome, just as chrome bumpers would look odd on today's plastic cars. The base car was touted as $3595. For extra money ($2-300 or so, not sure, guys with window stickers will know) you got the "appearance group". It was chrome bumpers, vinyl sail panels, bright trim on the roll bar and fog lights. That plus chrome wheels and a Blaupunkt am/fm raised the price to $4300. Chrome wheels were the only choice for the first year or so. Rivieras came along pretty early but were not a dealer option when I bought mine. Pedrinis came in '71 I think.
Here is a '71 with no appearance group. It belongs to member Joan A. in Maine. Paint is factory original.
Rhodes71/914
Good reading guys, thanks!
smg914
Some figures from the window sticker from the '73 2-Liter I bought new:

VIN # 4732913397
Suggested Retail $4,825.00
Transportation Charge $43.50
Appearance Group $450.00
Total $5,318.50

Appearance Group included:
Vinyl Covered Roll Bar
Dual Tone Horn
Chromed Bumpers
Fog Lights In Bumper
Pile-Type Carpet
Leatherette Covered Steering Wheel
Center Storage Compartment
Forged Alloy Wheels

In '73 the Performance Group options on the 2 Liter cars were specified as (N.C.) No Charge.
Front & Rear Stabilizer Bars
Center Console with CLock, Oil Temp & Voltage Gauges

On my Sahara Beige '73 2 Liter, the window sticker shows the following:

VIN #4732926371
Suggested Retail $5,800.00
Tranportation Charge $34.50
Color to Sample $330.00
Tinted Glass, All Around $100.00
California Emission Test $15.00
Total $6279.50

This is a much later car than my first '73 2-Liter and for some reason they don't show the cost of the Appearance Group. I believe it's included in the suggested retail price.
Maltese Falcon
Bought my new'74 2.0 from Downtown L.A. Porsche Audi . Salesman was Heinz Brinkmann, who also played a german soldier on the TV series "Combat" with the late Vic Morrow. Heinz gave me the keys to his Tangerine 2.0 and said "Take it out for a drive". Me and a friend drove the wheels off of it in downtown , wide open on a Sunday afternoon. My black car arrived in 3 weeks, and the doberman guard dogs chewed off the bumperettes. The dogs were chewing these off of all the 914s screwy.gif My friend then bought his metallic blue 914 the following week.
Car payment was about $86.00/ month. laugh.gif
Brent
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Feb 24 2005, 10:22 PM)
Car payment was about $86.00/ month. laugh.gif

I bet even that required tightening up the belt , back then.
MecGen
Sorry for the OT
Is it possible to trac down the origional city of sale?
My 914 (I call myself second owner becauase they broker that found the car had it only for a couple weeks before me). My car was supposed to come from CA, but could never confirm this. Can it becomfirmed ?
Thanx 1000x
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
914geezer
After my first post I realized I did not answer the original question about options.

As I did mention it was the first 2 liter in southwest Virginia for sure, and reputedly one of the first four on the east coast.

The VIN is 4732901301. Some (geezers?) may recall that the 2 liter was originally advertised as a 914S by the US importer, but Porsche squelched the S designation as it was reserved for 911's only.

My window sticker is in VA so cannot reference it now but there were very few options on the first 2 liter 914's. They came standard with center console and gauges, chrome bumpers, vinyl sail panels, carpet, etc. Mine has a tinted at the top windshield which may have been an option, as I recall. The only option it does not have, that I am aware of, is a heated rear window.

The cost was about the same as Steve mentions above $5,400.00ish. BTW the tan (desert sand ?) 914 Steve mentioned is UNBELIEVABLE !!! I saw it at the FL Parade in '03 and it is literally better than new.

Back to mine, Mahan P-A did not survive too many years and there was no dealer in southwest VA for several years (like now again) so I took it to Atlanta for a meeting and while there had it serviced. The dealer's service manager was an old friend from the Air Force who came to the hotel to pick it up and deliver it later. He commented that it seemed "stronger" to him than the ususal 914. Which may, or may not, mean that it was as early a 2 liter as billed and possibly was "rescued" from being a press car. Pure speculation of course.

I have been fortunate to own several Porsches since this first one and I have to say it is still my favorite!

Maury
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.