Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear shock failure or spring failure?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
i have a question regarding rear spring/shock.

after i park my car, i get out, and pull up on the rear wheel well, the body will come up about 2 inches, and stay up there, until i push it down, or sit back in the car. is this a case of faulty springs, or faulty shocks? both? should i stick a chopstick in the rear strut somehow and find out? blink.gif

thanks in advance
redshift
Shocks.

2 inches? Come on!

M
MecGen
Hello
The springs are the deciding factor for ride hieght,
You mght have a stuck shock. Take one side appart and see
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
groot
Probably a bent shaft on that shock..... Poor rear suspension design with regards to shock binding during suspension travel.....
Jeroen
[hijack]
Hey Kevin,
You mentioned this earlier.
Do you think some kind of monoball setup for the rear top shock mount would fix this
(like the ones Tangerine Racing sells)
Or is the bottom mount causing problems as well?
[/hijack]
groot
Hyjack reply....

Personally I think one needs to create additional degrees of freedom at the bottom first. If you only do it at the top, there still is a bending moment on the shock and you're asking that rubber bushing at the bottom to accomodate the misalignment, creating a bending moment. Ideally, one would replace the bottom bushing with a spherical bearing. A bearing at the top is a good idea, too.

I feel pretty strongly about this modification and it's importance in the grand scheme of getting a suspension to do its thing.
Dave_Darling
Back on-topic--
Another possibility if you have aftermarket bushings on the rear trailing arms: The bushings are binding up, not letting the trailing arm swing up and down. Seen it on more than one car...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.