Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo tie rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all, I purchased a set of turbo tie rods , to replace The old and tired knuckled tie rods on my 1973 2.0 Connected into steering rack beautifully with washers. The problem I have is on both ends the castle nut won't go down enough so the cotter pin could fit through
I now have to stripped nuts. chair.gif haha on both side as I could not tighten the bolt down enough to draw the shaft of the tie rod ends up.
Make me wonder if I have the right tie rods.
I even used my car jack to try and lift up the triode into the shock housing. All I did was lift my car.

I made the little hat out of fun and frustration ar15.gif

Maybe I have the wrong tie rods or tie rods ends. When I purchased it said compatible for 1.7,1.8,2.0. However on the packaging when it arrived it said compatible for 1.7. I went ahead with the install attempt but now I am stuck.

Solutions? New tie rods, or tie rods ends? Etc.

Thanks,

Gary WTF.gif Click to view attachment
zambezi
Is the tie rod end going in the spindle in the proper direction? The hole is tapered and needs to go in the proper way.
cwpeden
welcome.png

popcorn[1].gif
Spoke
It doesn't look like the ball joint has seated in the control arm. Remove them and compare with the old ones you took off. Hopefully you only stripped the nuts.

welcome.png
craig downs
You could make the slots deeper on the nuts.
stugray
QUOTE(craig downs @ Jun 22 2015, 07:54 AM) *

You could make the slots deeper on the nuts.

WTF.gif

You DO see that the tie rod is not going in where it belongs right?
Are you suggesting that the fix is "just make it so the cotter pin can go in anyway"?
dangrouche
It does not look like the taper on the new tie rod end is correct.
if you have the old tie rod end separated, take a micrometer and check diameter of that ill-fitting tie rod end. disconnect that ill-fitting tie rod end and compare the dimension. if there is a difference, then you would have to buy a new pair of tie rod ends, turbo style.
good luck
stugray
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Jun 22 2015, 09:34 AM) *

It does not look like the taper on the new tie rod end is correct.

Take off nut, remove tapered pin, flip tie-rod end over, replace tapered pin & draw in with nut. confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
The tie rod end needs to be moved to be in line with the hole. Tap the end of the tie rod till it lines up with the angle of the hole, then gently tap it from the bottom till it seats.
injunmort
taper not seating, as suggested come in from other side
Wew
Thx gents,
I have concluded these are the wrong tie roses. That's what I get gofer ordering the cheap stuff. new tie rods on the way. Will report back as soon as I cut off the stripped castle nut.

welder.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Did you not buy the lemforder brand?
Wew
I purchased the lemfoeder tie rod ends and all is good u dear the hood beer.gif
Porschef
Just to be clear, did you buy a second set of ends, or did you rotate rod to make the installation happen?

If you did buy a set of Lemfoerders because the first set wouldn't work, what brand was the first set?

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.