Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poor little guy starving ..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
As I was heading to work this morning, my son noticed a 914 at a maneke parking lot half way on the lift.
I asked one of the mechanics about it and their first reaction was " can you get it started ?" They were desperate to get it started , I decided to give it a try to notice that the dizzy was loose, MPS unplugged. New rotors and calipers all around.
After putting things in place, I cranked it There was no fuel . I told the mechanic and he said " oh where is the fuel tank ? We have been tryng to locate it.

After aded of fuel , it started right up.

It has been at the shop for about a year, I feel that the owner is on his back and he couldn't locate the tank.

The car is a mess, interior is shot, rust is minimal, ignition key broken , using push start button, wiring harness molested. Model year 75 . 2.0l Djet

It looks like they are eager to get it running at any cost and they offer me to work on it.
Well , we will see.
Just wanted to share .
I'll have the vin added to the database in the morning .
rhodyguy
At least it has new brakes!
Chris H.
Yeah make sure you show them where the brake fluid reservoir is Paul.

Great story.
ripper911
smilie_pokal.gif

Fuel tank? It doesn't have one! confused24.gif you can also convince people that it doesn't have an engine if they're gullible.
rhodyguy
I've had it happen Kev. In Oregon where you can't, or couldn't, pump your own fuel. Front truck open and getting something out of the back. Pump attendee asked "where's the motor?". "The big spring is in the middle of the car".
ripper911
Gets 'em every time!
r_towle
QUOTE(914itis @ Jun 23 2015, 09:27 PM) *

As I was heading to work this morning, my son noticed a 914 at a maneke parking lot half way on the lift.
I asked one of the mechanics about it and their first reaction was " can you get it started ?" They were desperate to get it started , I decided to give it a try to notice that the dizzy was loose, MPS unplugged. New rotors and calipers all around.
After putting things in place, I cranked it There was no fuel . I told the mechanic and he said " oh where is the fuel tank ? We have been tryng to locate it.

After aded of fuel , it started right up.

It has been at the shop for about a year, I feel that the owner is on his back and he couldn't locate the tank.

The car is a mess, interior is shot, rust is minimal, ignition key broken , using push start button, wiring harness molested. Model year 75 . 2.0l Djet

It looks like they are eager to get it running at any cost and they offer me to work on it.
Well , we will see.
Just wanted to share .
I'll have the vin added to the database in the morning .

scary...
Porschef

Well , we will see.

I'm sure this is not the end of the story... rolleyes.gif poke.gif
914itis
The vin is already in the registry posted by type47

914itis
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 25 2015, 10:05 AM) *

Well , we will see.

I'm sure this is not the end of the story... rolleyes.gif poke.gif

As you assumed , this is not the end of the story . They called me to change the push ros seals and balve adjustments . I was told that gas was coming out of the muffler . Sure enough , I pulled the oil plug and there was no oil to drain. It was all gas in the motor . confused24.gif confused24.gif
Spoke
Sounds like it's time to make a lowball offer on the car.
914itis
They wouldn't put me in contact with the owner. the only thing they say was that money was not an issue. I did the push rod seals, valve adjustment, oil change ( from gas) replaced all vacuum lines, gas lines, intake boot and gasket. remove right side sheet and cleaned oil cooler.

On the list , dwell, timing and ignition switch replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGNuAvS9sI
Chris H.
Laguna Blue! Awesome. Hope you get to buy that one someday Paul.

So the crankcase was FULL of gasoline? blowup.gif
euro911
Paul, your video is private ...

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif
914Mike
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 18 2015, 08:28 PM) *

Saw a guy fill a beetle crankcase with gas once, I was shocked to see someone do that to say the least. I'd bet the yahoos at the shop did that while "trying to locate" the fuel tank...
914itis
QUOTE(914Mike @ Jul 19 2015, 09:04 PM) *

Saw a guy fill a beetle crankcase with gas once, I was shocked to see someone do that to say the least. I'd bet the yahoos at the shop did that while "trying to locate" the fuel tank...

It was diesel .

Not one drop of oil.
mepstein
QUOTE(914itis @ Jul 19 2015, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(914Mike @ Jul 19 2015, 09:04 PM) *

It was diesel .

Not one drop of oil.

I've heard that done to clean out an engine. Not saying its right just that people do it.
euro911
One of my uncles used to drain his oil, then run a few quarts of ATF for 10 minutes (at idle, not under load) to clean everything out, then drain the ATF and refill with oil idea.gif

... anybody else ever heard of doing this? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.