Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking best available windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PancakePorsche
Seeking best quality windshield available for 914-6 re-paint in Ventura, California.

Prices I find are sub $200 (Chinese) to $650 at AA stated as genuine. They however are too far away and doubt it would survive the trip. Would prefer professional install as well by folks that know these cars.

Any feedback appreciated.
Cuda911
Are you willing to drive down to San Diego? (North County).

I had my windshield replaced and they did an excellent job. Forgot the name of the place but I can look it up in my files. A small shop that does custom cars.

I went with Chinese glass, since it was available locally. The fit is excellent. About $250 including the install (it has the tint that was installed on my car when new. Less if you want clear.). Another 914 owner was getting his windshield replaced at the same shop, and went for "OEM" glass. He paid three times as much, waited a month or more for delivery, and the fit was poor.

See Post 138 in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...7472&st=120
mepstein
Stop by your Porsche dealer. They can order new ones from Germany. I was quoted $475 inc shipping.
rgalla9146
I agree with Mark.
Surprisingly, the dealer is the right source for some items.
I got an OE windshield, " just in case" some time ago for $307.
914werke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 24 2015, 03:23 AM) *
Stop by your Porsche dealer. They can order new ones from Germany. I was quoted $475 inc shipping.

agree.gif
Or try Sunset in Beaverton OR
When i was restoring the LE I did some shopping then decide the best value for that car was a *NEW* SIGLA from Porsche. delivered to my door in a Large container smile.gif
rick 918-S
Porsche dealer for OEM. I have installed the Chinese glass. the fit was great. A word of caution. If you are reusing the factory trim use a razor blade to cut the plastic retaining clips do not slide the clip removal tool between the glass and the trim and try to unhook the clips. you will bend the fragile trim. And when installing the replacement glass DO NOT let the installer back fill the butyl tape with urethane sealant. If you break another windshield the trim will never come off again cleanly. Many states require installers to use urethane calk to install front glass now. ASK FIRST before letting them proceed.
Montreal914
Original windshield have a curvature at the top edge while copies are flat. This makes a difference in the fit of the trim. Be careful with so called original Sigla windshield, I have heard about distributor engraving the name "Sigla" on copies for the 911 crowd...
I would hope the dealer is a safe option. In the end, look at the curvature at the top. It's pretty obvious when you look at two cars (flat and bubbled up)

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I went with the SIGLA from the dealership. With my PCA discount it was close to $200. Probably 2008 or 2009?

Also, a note on installation. Putting the windshield in with the butyl tape is one of the easiest and most satisfying do-it-yourself jobs on the car. Just make sure you have the spacers and the clips for the trim.
forrestkhaag
Larmo63 recently had his replaced for cheap and it looks as good as my OEM Newport Porsche dealer 650 buck part........ his was installed for less than half my cost for parts - I installed my glass myself to a perfection but lost three years in life span due to stress issues related to the need for a precise placement and a one-shot chance at missing the exact location for the windshield thereby triggering removal from that hideous 3M sticky black rope necessary for a professional installation.

Later in the process, I hired Larmo's guy to install my trim and he did a perfect job.

RJ Auto Glass Anaheim Ca / he will travel...... 714 292-5811
Larmo63
agree.gif

Ruffino is a good guy and did a great job. I caught a rock (under the wipers, micro chip) at the WCR on one of our "fun" drives so I'm glad I didn't go all out expensive. I didn't want the green tint, but that was all that was available at the time. I don't really mind it at all now.
r_towle
how do you know if its OEM or just a marked up version coming from the same factory in China, which Porsche does along with everyone else?

Is there an OEM logo on it that the concourse judges would look for?
If there is a difference, go with the OEM one.

Rich
PancakePorsche
Great info guys. thanks for that. I will go OEM from local dealer. Will call a couple for pricing.

wndsnd
Nobody has ever said to me,

"I like your car. Too bad it has a Chinese wndshield!"

Spend your money on something else.
mepstein
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jun 25 2015, 09:48 PM) *

Nobody has ever said to me,

"I like your car. Too bad it has a Chinese wndshield!"

Not to your face

lol-2.gif
ejm
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 24 2015, 01:14 PM) *

Is there an OEM logo on it that the concourse judges would look for?

The original glass said "Made in Western Germany" Nothing produced in the last 25 years will have that so "OEM" doesn't really matter.
somd914
I replaced mine last year with one purchased from ProSource.

Had no issues mounting trim. The previous windshield was also an aftermarket unit, no issues with the trim.

Here's a thread regarding ProSource:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...prosource+glass
Old Yella
I'll find you one at the G and R swap. Might be chipped, cracked and covered in bovine grease but it will be an original 40 year old screen. Only problem is you might have to give me a lift out to the empire inlandio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.