Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Built this combo gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
Just built this combo gauge.

Thanks to Steve Snyder for sending the center button to finish it off.

Used an 84 911 combo to get the temp and press modules and a later 914 fuel for the module and face plate. All off ebay for about $150.00.

Used condensed gothic dry transfer lettering...fairly close match to the original size and font. A real PITA to put on. Not perfect but looks fine from 2 feet.

Made a new back plate per the instructions in various threads on the site. Lots of little dremel cutting sawzall-smiley.gif

The generosity and help from the World is really great!!Click to view attachment

Going out to install. Hope it all works
rhodyguy
what temp sensor will you be using? for a 4 or 6? the stock sump location if for a 4?
gereed75
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 25 2015, 10:21 AM) *

what temp sensor will you be using? for a 4 or 6? the stock sump location if for a 4?

For a six.

Will use the stock temp sender.

Replaced the stock pressure switch with a combo switch and pressure sender for an 84 911.

Looks like I will have to add a wire to the harness for the pressure sender. Diagram does not show one but I will check the actual harness since I believe the GT's had a combo gauge in them with pressure. Maybe the wire is actually there. confused24.gif Hope so but doubt it.
Eddie914
WOW!

Great Job!

I might have time to try the same for my teener ... after I retire ... which will be about five years ... after I die!

Cheers,

Eddie
Mark Henry
WOW!

Very cool! Exactly what I want to do and I already have the gauges.

Any more pics and do you have a link to that font?
Steve Snyder
That looks sweet! Great job.
bahnzai
Any more details would be great. I am sure there are a number of us that need/want to build a similar gauge.
Thanks!
Danny
914forme
aktion035.gif Great Job there
Alphaogre
I just bought a donor 911 gauge to build a multi gauge for my 914-4. How difficult was it?
Vysoc
Nice work Gary, can't wait to see the six.

Vysoc flag.gif
JmuRiz
Very creative look, and probably eliminates the wheel hiding the upper one on a quad gauge.
gereed75
Used this classic thread as guidance http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=57909&hl=

Used a late 4 fuel gage like the one currently for sale on e-bay for $29.95 .Used the face plate out of it and the late style gauge module.

Combined that with an 80's 911 combo gage. Used the housing and gage modules out of that.

The lettering is dry transfer from Woodland Scenics ..... SKU MG738. Put each letter on separately but would probably lay them out on scotch tape first and then transfer to the gauge face. Quicker and better alignment.

Painted the face gloss black, put the letters on and then oversprayed with Testors Flat Clear to match the stock face pretty close. Had to trim the individual module face plates to get them to fit in this orientation. It's tight but works.

One bad thing is that the light holders do no ground to the back plate when epoxied back in. I am working that out.

Pretty easy once you get in there and work with it a bit.

Oh yea, for six guys, there is a spare wire that terminates at the combo gage. It is solid green and is there for a temp sender on Sporto models. It terminates back on the engine compartment relay board. I will tie into that for the connection to the sender. Saves running a new wire piratenanner.gif .
wndsnd
Fine work!
r_towle
Good job
Maltese Falcon
I like the layout and it's well executed... job well done aktion035.gif
Marty
bahnzai
Gary,
Thanks so much for the additional info and insights. Where were you able to get the triple gauge face plate?
Thanks again!
Danny
mepstein
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Jun 26 2015, 07:00 AM) *

Gary,
Thanks so much for the additional info and insights. Where were you able to get the triple gauge face plate?
Thanks again!
Danny

looks homemade - in a good way.
gereed75
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2015, 07:12 AM) *

Gary,
Thanks again!
Danny

looks homeade - in a good way.

Danny, Used the fuel gauge faceplate rotated 90 degrees. What were the top and bottom window cutouts become the left and right cutouts. Keep the top center indicator light hole and add two more. I cut out the bottom fuel "TANK" window and rolled the edges down in an effort (imperfect) to replicate the VDO edge treatment. You can see some roughness in that edge as Mark so observedly caught poke.gif smile.gif Strip the original paint and markings, paint and re-mark as you prefer with the dry transfer letters

Thanks all for the kind comments. Thanks Stephan for your great original thread cheer.gif All looks good buried in the binnacle. shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 26 2015, 07:47 AM) *

Gary,
Thanks again!
Danny

Danny, Used the fuel gauge faceplate rotated 90 degrees. What were the top and bottom window cutouts become the left and right cutouts. Keep the top center indicator light hole and add two more. I cut out the bottom fuel "TANK" window and rolled the edges down in an effort (imperfect) to replicate the VDO edge treatment. You can see some roughness in that edge as Mark so observedly caught poke.gif smile.gif Strip the original paint and markings, paint and re-mark as you prefer with the dry transfer letters

Thanks all for the kind comments. All looks good buried in the binnacle. shades.gif

I just meant that it was done by gereed75, not a purchased item. I think it looks awesome.

beerchug.gif
gereed75
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2015, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 26 2015, 07:47 AM) *

Gary,
Thanks again!
Danny

Thanks all for the kind comments. All looks good buried in the binnacle. shades.gif

I just meant that it was done by Danny, not a purchased item. I think it looks awesome.

beerchug.gif

Thanks Mep, knew that beerchug.gif
914forme
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 25 2015, 10:58 PM) *

One bad thing is that the light holders do no ground to the back plate when epoxied back in. I am working that out.

Solder a jumper wire onto the tube to the backing plate, simple and effective.
914forme
Wow, I am humbled, did not realize that was my thread, glad I could be of service.
nada911
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 25 2015, 07:08 AM) *

Just built this combo gauge.

Thanks to Steve Snyder for sending the center button to finish it off.

Used an 84 911 combo to get the temp and press modules and a later 914 fuel for the module and face plate. All off ebay for about $150.00.

Used condensed gothic dry transfer lettering...fairly close match to the original size and font. A real PITA to put on. Not perfect but looks fine from 2 feet.

Made a new back plate per the instructions in various threads on the site. Lots of little dremel cutting sawzall-smiley.gif

The generosity and help from the World is really great!!Click to view attachment

Going out to install. Hope it all works

I really like what you did there, it looks great! Had a question, with the temp and pressure gauge at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position, how did you make enough room for the fuel gauge to fit in the bottom 6 o'clock position? Did you move the temp and press gauge up a little?
Michelj13
I love it. Been looking to buy a 3 gauge kit from John recently but not able to reach him. your gauge looks great! I am thinking cutting the window for the fuel gauge is probably the tricky part.
John
Wow!

Those look great.

I de-crimp and recrimp the bulb holders onto the back plates I make.

Then everything works as designed.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Wyvern
WoW ...really cool !
cheer.gif
worn
QUOTE(John @ Mar 28 2016, 07:17 PM) *

Wow!

Those look great.

I de-crimp and recrimp the bulb holders onto the back plates I make.

Then everything works as designed.

How did you do the lettering and graphics?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.