Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early chrome bumper re-chrome dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
very weak chrome. i can get it redone by a local shop in the $400ish range so no to and fro shipping. small shop, they do custom and resto work. i saw some completed items. nice!. so…have it redone, and charge a small fortune to some poor soul for their "correct" needs or put to on my totally incorrect 73'? before i do ANYTHING i have to run it by my "accountant" dry.gif. help me be persuasive. i can sell my pretty good soft edge version to offset the costs if i opt use it. or sell and bank. what's a re-chromed sharp edge version worth in today's market?
Cairo94507
Depending upon the quality of the bumper and re-chrome, I would say $750-$850. I sold an early rear that needed to be re-plated for $400 and it was in great condition.

I would have installed it on my car, but being a late build '71, my Six came from the factory with the soft curved bumper. I know I could have sold it for more, but I believe it all comes back to you when you price parts fairly. Good luck with the boss.
Tom_T
It's probably worth more to you to keep your `73 correct & use the cash for more better stuff on it - & the early bumper is worth more to an early 914 owner to sell it off - especially 914-6s, since those early ones are like hens teeth, so perhaps worth a bit more than you may think even un-rechromed at this point.

So I say sell it forward, then offer the buyer the choice to have it rechromed themselves, or them to take it to your local shop, cuz with the latter you're responsible if it's not to their liking if you were to do it.

So I say, sell the early bumper off, & use the $$'s on your totally incorrect 73 for whatever it needs!

Maybe some totally incorrect but much lighter & never to rust FG or CF bumpers with integral toppers, since the factory bumpers really are worthless in even a parking lot bump - with or without the tits!

The big fugly black ones were actually somewhat protective up to the 7-10 mph that they were designed for! huh.gif

That keeps the in-house accountant happier too! biggrin.gif

.... especially depending on how many times can you tell her you've just (re-) spent the money on the bumper sale!? happy11.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
if i can make it work i can finance most of my fly-in trip the the RRC. the 'accountant' would be TOTALLY inline with that concept. smile.gif the chrome is fugly weak. up side is it would be a plug and play when chromed and save any buyer what might be 3 journey $ and the scramble to find a chrome shop after the fact. please don't get me thinking about fg bumpers. please!… then one would want f&r deck lids. that slope is WAY too slippery. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Take your balls out of your "accountants" purse and get it rechromed... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.