Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picked up my 1974-914 yesterday.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
catsltd
Well picked up car yesterday.
Car seems to be in pretty good shape,new tires,points condensor.
But there are a few things I have no idea what they are.
1. The pictures shows a hose that goes no where???,it sits below the engine.
2. The hellhole has no rust,but front wheel well doers.
Car is original orange.
Car says Made in West Germany????Really???

Iturned the idle down and car seems to run and shift better..
Car does not have a fuel filter which really worries me(any suggestions would be great)
Passenger door only opens from inside the car,linkage I guess.
Anyway really enjoying the car and look forward to reading up on it in the forum.
catsltd
Couple more pictures.
Cairo94507
Congratulations. Now get organized so you do not get overwhelmed.

If you are planning to drive it as it is, start going through all of the systems to verify they are working and reliable. Brakes, fuel system including fuel lines, electrical, suspension, engine and transaxle.

While you are looking at and tending to that stuff, keep your eyes open for the rust you are sure to find. Look for structural rust issues first - hell hole, longs, suspension console, etc.

Try to tackle small projects and complete them before you move on to the next or you may find the whole car in pieces. Tons of valuable experience on this site and they will all offer assistance. Photos tell the story so when you have issues, post pictures to help explain what you are dealing with. Most of all, have fun.

thieuster
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 26 2015, 06:16 AM) *

Congratulations. Now get organized so you do not get overwhelmed.

If you are planning to drive it as it is, start going through all of the systems to verify they are working and reliable. Brakes, fuel system including fuel lines, electrical, suspension, engine and transaxle.

While you are looking at and tending to that stuff, keep your eyes open for the rust you are sure to find. Look for structural rust issues first - hell hole, longs, suspension console, etc.

Try to tackle small projects and complete them before you move on to the next or you may find the whole car in pieces. Tons of valuable experience on this site and they will all offer assistance. Photos tell the story so when you have issues, post pictures to help explain what you are dealing with. Most of all, have fun.

^^^ this ^^^

As a newby, I fully agree with the advise given above. At least, that's how I did it. I might add on thing: I always check the fuses on a car that I've bought and I always replace the old fuses: new ones with the correct Amps. That way, you're always sure that the wiring will not melt down due to a stupid action by a Dumb Previous Owner (don't ask how I know... sadly, I'm experienced)

Menno
ConeDodger
Hose that goes no where may be the heat duct that is supposed to be connected to the heat exchanger.

Your fuel filter should be underneath the gas tank.

Yes, made in Western Germany. Is a history lesson needed?

Congratulations! welcome.png

By the way, it has been painted at least once...
sb914
Welcome to the madness
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png

Being made in West Germany, you have a very unique and valuable car, the rest of ours were made in West Germany. av-943.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(catsltd @ Jun 25 2015, 11:09 PM) *

Congratulations on the new car!

You must be young to be surprised by the West Germany tag. Maybe it was before your time.
catsltd
Thanks for everyones comments.

The previous owner had new fuel lines installed,plug wires etc.
Car drives and stops very well.
I will tear off the cover on the undercarriage and look for rust.
Look forward to getting it back in good condition.
Cheers to all the 914 owners.
Pretty Cool car.
Grant.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 26 2015, 09:23 AM) *

You must be young to be surprised by the West Germany tag. Maybe it was before your time.

agree.gif Wow, as a former "cold warrior" stationed in "West Germany" this makes me feel old...and a little worried.

Anyway, welcome.png catsltd
Hank914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 26 2015, 05:53 AM) *

welcome.png welcome.png

Being made in West Germany, you have a very unique and valuable car, the rest of ours were made in West Germany. av-943.gif

And all this time I thought that the East Germans made the most unique and valuable cars.

Viva La Trabant!
Steve Snyder
welcome.png

The passenger exterior door handle likely needs a new cam; that's a cheap and easy fix. You might also want to reroute that speaker wire. WTF.gif

Chris H.
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 26 2015, 08:23 AM) *

Congratulations on the new car!

I was thinking the same thing Bill...we must be getting old!

BTW your driver's side window roller IS NOT made in West Germany biggrin.gif . Looks like a GM product. Nice find! Great color.
74ravenna
Is the fuel pump still up underneath the passenger side? I think on a 74 1.8 the fuel filter should be up underneath there as well. Get a flashlight and look up underneath (in front of the rear passenger wheel), just before where you lines run up into the engine bay.

Good luck with the car and show us more photos as you go along.
Larmo63
It looks like you may be missing some of the left side engine cooling tin if we can see the heater inlet through the top.
catsltd
Crawled under the car.
The heat exchangers are cracked pretty bad.

Need to replace them as cheap as possible.
Any suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks.
Big Len
Best is to put a WTB ad in classifieds here.

Can check Ebay, The Samba, Pelican Parts, etc.
Big Len
Best is to put a WTB ad in classifieds here.

Can check Ebay, The Samba, Pelican Parts, etc.
Heeltoe914
Cool you got a nice eay to get going car. Any body pictures???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.