Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unusual Front Sway Bar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beach914
I recently picked up another car to evaluate for my GT conversion. A 73 from north LA area. Has some major hell hole rust but longs and floor boards look good and survived the screw driver test so far. Jack point supports rotted but not through the longs. The jack points rotted because of dirt build up under the rockers. Rockers were rusty in the Jack point area only otherwise good. Floor boards behind seats are good and solid. No rust in the rear trunk and a minor spot in the front.

I've attached a couple of pictures of what I found when looking under the front end. This is a method of mounting that I have not seen on a 914 before. The sway bar is mounted on blocks that are through bolted to the tub area under the spare tire.
My thought is that this ain't going to stay and I'll pull it and straighten up the floor and weld up the holes. I'll have some pictures from the inside of this in a few days also.

Anyone seen this done before?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Some PO hacked that on there.

There *are* 911 underbody swaybars that fit the 914, but this isn't one of them ...
smile.gif
Beach914
Yeah, look at the angle of the tie rod to the lower arm in the bottom picture.
Dave_Darling
My first thought was that it was a simple 911 under-body bar. But nope, it's something else entirely! Someone got a little creative and decided to make some sway bar fit. I don't like that mounting, as the trunk floor can and will flex, messing up the spring rate of the bar.

I wonder if that's one of the Addco bars? I seem to remember that they had an under-body bar for the 914 at one point. Or it may have been a different manufacturer, but sold by the fine folks at JC Whitney, purveyors of all your wheel cover needs...

I highly recommend ditching that setup if you buy the car, and going with a through-body setup.

--DD
Beach914
It's definitely coming off. The trunk floor is a little bit tweaked around the mounts. It did flex. Wow, the things some people try.
ndfrigi
My previous 74 1.8 project that I sold to a member here has that same front sway arm that is attached to the front floor.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 26 2015, 04:48 PM) *

I wonder if that's one of the Addco bars?

Exactly what I was thinking- looks like an Addco to me too.
Beach914
Mine looks to be a bit more forward than ndfrigi's.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Jun 26 2015, 04:44 PM) *

Mine looks to be a bit more forward than ndfrigi's.

Yeah, but his horn rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.