Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs dangerous to race on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
Hi I was wondering if you guys think/know if Fuchs are too old and dangerous to race on? Thanks for your input!
brant
Been doing so for a long time. Inspect them for rumored occasional cracking. But I haven't found a bad one yet.

They Always pass the annual inspection by tech.
Thousands of them are raced in vintage still, nation wide.
campbellcj
I have had and used numerous old Fuchs with no problems as well. I buy good ones, take care of them, and check them regularly as Brant says. I always keep 2-3 sets of wheels around so there are spares.
stownsen914
Like any other wheel used for racing, they should be inspected regularly for cracks (I check my wheels after every event), but I'd use them.
john914somers
Does anybody think that if you are pushing 300-350hp thru the Fuchs that makes any difference?
Kaeferfreund
I think you better should discuss in the direction what kind of Fuchs alloys you are going to use. An old one (eg a "deep six") or a newer version with "H2"? You have to use tubes for the old ones!
stownsen914
QUOTE(john914somers @ Jun 28 2015, 12:34 PM) *

Does anybody think that if you are pushing 300-350hp thru the Fuchs that makes any difference?

I would think it's more about side loading than horsepower. Personally I would not worry about 300+ hp on good Fuchs wheels.
brant
I agree that side loading would seem much more significant than hp.
Really good slicks generate a lot of grip and should apply much more force
Hp seems even less significant than excessive weight. Like trailers which can exceed their load rates
ThePaintedMan
...Which is also a good reason to check hubs too every once in awhile. I know of at least two people who have warped hubs from side-loads produced by slicks (and probably hitting stuff biggrin.gif ).
madmax914
I've heard rumors regarding chromed Fuchs, something during the chroming process may compromise the allow.
Larmo63
Read this article, it is interesting…..

https://www.pca.org/panorama/edition/panorama-october-2014
carr914
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Jul 1 2015, 02:05 PM) *

I've heard rumors regarding chromed Fuchs, something during the chroming process may compromise the allow.

Don't know enough about Chromeing, but improperly PowderCoating wheels can lead to premature failure. When you PowderCoat wheels, you need to use a low tempature powder & they will "cook" at a much lower temp. High Temps can alter the Alloy
stownsen914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 2 2015, 01:22 AM) *

Read this article, it is interesting…..

https://www.pca.org/panorama/edition/panorama-october-2014

Yup - the Fuchs do fatigue and can fail. People used to think those wheels were indestructible. They need to be checked regularly like any other wheel used for racing.
john914somers
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 30 2015, 11:25 PM) *

I agree that side loading would seem much more significant than hp.
Really good slicks generate a lot of grip and should apply much more force
Hp seems even less significant than excessive weight. Like trailers which can exceed their load rates

I do also agree that the HP would be less of an issue than side load but with increased HP you will have a heavier engine/suspension/braking/cooling and of course wider wheels to accommodate the increase in HP/weight/lateral G-forces. Initially I was thinking that I would use 15x8 up front and 15x10 or 12 in the rear. A good source told me that I would probably want 15x10 in front and 15x12 in the rear. I don't want to invest a bunch of money widening Fuchs if they are going to fail quickly and more importantly the danger element. I think I should probably just buy some custom rims.
campbellcj
I've dodged the issue by using new Braid and Fuchs wheels - better piece of mind now that my car goes, turns and stops a heckuva lot faster than before (10" slicks and ~240whp)
brant
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 2 2015, 06:53 PM) *

I've dodged the issue by using new Braid and Fuchs wheels - better piece of mind now that my car goes, turns and stops a heckuva lot faster than before (10" slicks and ~240whp)

Chris. Are you on 17's?

Your going to need to switch to 15's when you eventually go W2W.... And the day is getting close now.
campbellcj
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 2 2015, 06:50 PM) *

Chris. Are you on 17's?

Your going to need to switch to 15's when you eventually go W2W.... And the day is getting close now.

Nope! Actually I went back down to 15's (8 & 9) from 16's. Better clearance and lower weight. And I am still planning to get race licensed as soon as I can do the required classes - life keeps fuching up my plans though.
brant
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 3 2015, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 2 2015, 06:50 PM) *

Chris. Are you on 17's?

Nope! Actually I went back down to 15's (8 & 9) from 16's. Better clearance and lower weight. And I am still planning to get race licensed as soon as I can do the required classes - life keeps fuching up my plans though.

It won't be long now....
The car is beautiful. You will get in wherever you want.
FIA classes will be really faster than you might want with that giant motor. Ever think about a 81x66?
GaroldShaffer
Fuchs can crack for sure. This one was on a parts car I picked last fall. As you can see the rims had zero curb rash. Rim wasn't bent either. I always check my fuchs before any Autocross or track day.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.