Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vasek Polak license frame
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
RUSTIC
New repro license frame 150.00 .
914Next
QUOTE(RUSTIC @ Jun 27 2015, 11:31 AM) *

Really? I like the frame but wow....I would expect silver plated for that price. Maybe I'm out of the loop.
QUOTE(RUSTIC @ Jun 27 2015, 08:31 AM) *

What is the difference between the original vs this reproduction ? Is there any copyright concerns?
bdstone914
QUOTE(396 @ Jun 27 2015, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(RUSTIC @ Jun 27 2015, 08:31 AM) *

What is the difference between the original vs this reproduction ? Is there any copyright concerns?

'
People pay big bucks for originals. They can still be reproduced for about $3 in quantity as modern cars dealers are still doing.
Not a $150 frame.
Blue6
The original frames said Vasek Polak, Hermosa Beach. The repos read Redondo Beach. Bought the same repo at Phoenix Club, much better deal.
jos.hall
Hermosa and Redondo aren't the only differences. In fact there were Redondo Beach frames as well originally. There were also Manhattan Frames. The originals had more rounded edges. The bottom wasn't a thin band I don't think. The originals have the Robert Brown Downey Ca. mark on the backside as well. Thats just to name a few differences.
jos.hall
Here's a real Redondo

Click to view attachment
RUSTIC
QUOTE(jos.hall @ Jun 27 2015, 10:42 PM) *

Here's a real Redondo

Click to view attachment

Curious does yours have any writing on the reverse side ?
jos.hall
That's not actually mine but part of Armando Serrano's collection. He's got almost every other variation as well post on this site.... http://www.pbase.com/slidevalve911rsr/myrs...polak_lic_frame
He doesn't have a backside photo of it posted but it's clear the differences on the front side.
The "Robert Brown" definitely isn't the end all verification of it being real. There were several manufacturers but when you put all the clues together you can usually tell.

Look at the "striations" by the Vasek Polak and how different they are. The first thing that stuck out to me was how sharp the edges are on the new ones and how rounded the originals were.

All in all the new ones are great for people who don't want to spend their entire paycheck on a license plate frame but they shouldn't be marketed as originals either (Which this one wasn't. It is just way outta the ball park in price IMHO).
boxstr
I have an original at Camp. But the Vasek Polak is on the bottom.
Craig at CAMP
euro911
I bought a repro at the Phoenix Club too (a few years ago) - I think I paid $ 7. confused24.gif ... Got it on the Westy at the moment.

My wife had one from Vasek Polak's VW dealership (right next door to the Porsche dealership) that came with her Beetle - unfortunately, several years ago, some dick-wad stole it while her car was in the body shop for a minor rear bumper repair mad.gif The body shop owner paid her $85. to cover the loss.
jos.hall
Craig, don't quote me on this but I believe originally the front frames had the dealer name on top and the rear frames had the dealer name on the bottom. (I at least know this was the case for economotors)
Bills914-4
WOW , I didn't know collector plates were going for that much !
I have an old zipper porsche frame , how would I find out whats it's worth ?

Click to view attachment

sorry for hi jack,
sorry I should have started my own thread, Bill D.
gcrotvik
Here is a 2010 thread on this topic:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...110038&st=0
jos.hall
$20 for the zipper. Where do I send the PayPal? smile.gif

All joking aside most Original frames are in the $100-$150 range. The well known dealerships are usually $250 and the heavy hitters are the Brumos and Vasek Polak plate frames. The best frames being the original Vasek Polak Manhattan Beach frame. Honestly though, if you're car came from a certain dealer you'd pay almost anything for that frame.

I'd say The Zipper is a $200-250 in that condition
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.