Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Repair High on Fender/Cowl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
Eventually I need to tackle this:

Click to view attachment

Underneath:
Click to view attachment

I recall different threads in the past about how individuals tackled this (I think Palindrome thread removed the whole front fender), but I can't find them searching now. Anyone have a preferred thread for how best to scope and repair this little gem of a problem area? The more "See Spot run" it is the better...

Danke...
AndyB
I saw CFR doing that repair. Be ready for more then one layer of metal. It's not overly hard just tedious.
Looks like the easiest is to remove and replace the fender.
rick 918-S
This is similar to what you will need to do. This was crash damage but the same process for rust only in a more confined area.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=177500&hl=
mepstein
I think it was tomeric (sp?) who did the repair on a silver 6 conversion. Did not remove the entire fender but cut away rusted portions. Scotty b has also done more than a few so he might have pics and advise. You can see what the metal looks like under the fender if you go to cairos build thread. Personally, I would not remove the entire fender to repair the cowl area.
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2015, 11:12 AM) *

"Personally, I would not remove the entire fender to repair the cowl area"

You'd just have Scotty do it... av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jun 28 2015, 11:27 AM) *

I'd just put it aside and buy a couple more 914's.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2015, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jun 28 2015, 11:27 AM) *

I'd just put it aside and buy a couple more 914's.

Hey Mark - good plan! smile.gif Writing a check is EASY! Good thing (for my wife) that my garage is maxed out already.

I need to start throwing money at Scotty in Richmond. Having a solidly repaired 914 is probably a better investment than putting my daughter through school in Richmond...
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 28 2015, 11:09 AM) *

This is similar to what you will need to do. This was crash damage but the same process for rust only in a more confined area.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=177500&hl=

Thanks, Rick. I know there's no way I can approach your level of quality, but this helps. What kind of file do you use in that thread? I can't really see it in the pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.