Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Engine Dimensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Hi folks,

Does anyone know the maximum width of the 2.0 engine? I'm looking at 4-Post lifts and finding the width between the treads can vary by several inches.

My thought is to get one, making sure I can also use it to make dropping the engine easier.

Any ideas how much clearance I need?

Thanks,
Jason
type47
Why wouldn't the length of the engine mount bar be the limiting distance? Unless you drop the engine then remove the bar then the cooling tin would need to clear the lift. These distance can easily be measured on the car.
D1A3
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 28 2015, 11:25 AM) *

Why wouldn't the length of the engine mount bar be the limiting distance? Unless you drop the engine then remove the bar then the cooling tin would need to ear the lift. These distance can easily be measured on the car.

Good point!
mskala
Back in the day I got a 4-poster. Later I worked out dropping the (-6) engine
with tin in place. Needed to move the rails farther apart. I think all 4-post designs
have one rail which has no plumbing or cabling and can be moved simply by
drilling 4 new holes. Just make sure there is enough width to do that. Or buy it
wide and drill new holes in closer for ease of parking under normal conditions.

TheCabinetmaker
Just buy a 2 post assymertrical lift. Then it's a non problem
D1A3
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 28 2015, 01:31 PM) *

Just buy a 2 post assymertrical lift. Then it's a non problem

2 Post won't work for storage. I need to stack the cars...

Just did a rough measurement of the engine bar and it's more than the 37" or so I'll have. However, I could probably shim the engine, remove the bar, then do the drop. Lift I'm looking at has about 38" between the treads.
TheCabinetmaker
Can't stack them? I've been doing it for 5 years. The late cap'n did it for 4 decades. Of the three pcar shops in town they all stack cars on 2 post lifts. Even the dealerships do it.
zambezi
yup, mine is stacked right now, Jag 120 on top 356 on the floor.
Mark Henry
Personally I think it's easier to stack with a 2 post lift.
Four posts have their place, but no way in hell would I trade it for my 2 post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.