Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
What is the latest proper fitting Optima Battery for a '74 2.0L ?? I am especially concerned about height restrictions, as my current conventional battery JUST clears the rain tray.

Ansbacher
sportlicherFahrer
Should be a group 42 IIRC. If you're going the optima route and are looking for a good solid way to mount it, Triad makes a killer mount plate for a good price. Not really any good pics on the site, but its a plate that bolts to the bottom of the battery using stainless hardware(included with the plate) in 4 spots. Then your regular battery hold-down bolt bolts the plate to the car's tray.

Triad West Performance
GeorgeRud
I had a 43R in mine as the terminals were in the correct orientation for the car, but had to slice off the bottom mounting tabs on the sides to get it to fit correctly on the battery tray. Then I fabricated a wider battery mount to hold it down properly.

Check posts about Optima batteries - it seems that their quality has gone downhill. I had to replace one after just a few years, so now I stick with the easy to source Interstate bartteries and just keep the battery area clean, use dielectric grease on the fittings, and use a battery hat underneath to neutralize ant spilt battery acid.
Johny Blackstain
I refuse to put a lead/acid battery in my LE ever again. The yellow Porsche acid pad that fits under the battery does not do a damned bit of good as far as I'm concerned. Optima 34R with the bottom tabs/ears sliced off the sides fits my 74 2.0 perfectly. I agree that Optima quality has gone downhill lately, however it's still cheaper than repairing rust caused by acid spill, acid boilover or rain/wash water mixed with battery acid.
saigon71
I went with the Optima 34 (not R). It puts the posts on the outboard side so they don't interfere with the stock rain tray. The rain tray hit the posts with the 34R.

It came with everything needed to mount in the stock location and fits well.

I can't speak to the downturn in quality of these things...as this is my first one.

Click to view attachment

Ansbacher
Responses very helpful and really appreciate the pics.l.

Ansbacher
Big Len
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jun 29 2015, 04:42 PM) *

I went with the Optima 34 (not R). It puts the posts on the outboard side so they don't interfere with the stock rain tray. The rain tray hit the posts with the 34R.

It came with everything needed to mount in the stock location and fits well.

I can't speak to the downturn in quality of these things...as this is my first one.

Click to view attachment

Have exactly the same setup.
somd914
Do yourself a favor and search the World for Optima issues and also Google it.

I'd either go for a Westco Miata battery or an Odyssey PC925. Plenty of mounting options and not difficult to fabricate your own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.