Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
My shift lever seems to be closer to my leg than others I've driven; in fact, in 5th gear it's just getting out of the way. driving.gif

Is there a remedy for this, to move the lever more to the right without upsetting everything else?

Much appreciated,

Joe
jim_hoyland
Pictures ? smile.gif
rfinegan
I too have seen this on a 76 I was looking to buy. The shifter was so far in the driver bay that it was nearly impossible to get your leg out of the way in lower gears. I did not research the problem nor buy the car but I think it must be a 2 piece shifter rod that has come apart and turned to the left (driver side). If it turned it can be turned back. Pulling the shifter is not to hard and can be replaced for just a few $$$

Hope others have more details for you

Best
-Robert

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 29 2015, 05:21 PM) *

My shift lever seems to be closer to my leg than others I've driven; in fact, in 5th gear it's just getting out of the way. driving.gif

Is there a remedy for this, to move the lever more to the right without upsetting everything else?

Much appreciated,

Joe
ChrisFoley
The lever is epoxied into the spherical base.
The best way to modify is heat the base to cook the epoxy, then clean the lever and hole before reinstalling at your preferred position using five minute epoxy.
It may be better to remove from the car for disassembly and cleaning, then reinstall the lower unit before epoxying the lever in the new position.
914work
Chris is there a reason you dont recommend welding the shift handle to the base?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 30 2015, 09:17 AM) *

Chris is there a reason you dont recommend welding the shift handle to the base?

I wouldn't be against doing it if fully cleaned beforehand. The chrome plating on the lever (in the weld zone) has to be removed too though.
Epoxy is easier and will last a long time if done well.
Porschef
Chris, I should have known you'd know the answer. I've gotten sort of used to it but if it just involves epoxy, then no problem. Got lots of West System left over.
Must be the only use of epoxy on the car?

Thanks. pray.gif beer.gif
rfinegan
I have an old shifter rod that is still together if it turns out you need one...

-Robert

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 30 2015, 05:38 AM) *

Chris, I should have known you'd know the answer. I've gotten sort of used to it but if it just involves epoxy, then no problem. Got lots of West System left over.

Thanks. pray.gif beer.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 30 2015, 09:38 AM) *

D-Jet cars have epoxy on the MPS unit.
Not sure of any other location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.