Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this close geoff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
0 volts at 86, if i'm doing it right. does this mean the jumper gets put in between 85 and 86 and then the relay gets plugged back in? i'm stuck. as i stated yest i'd rather shovel chicken poop.

KREVIN
Bleyseng
That will bypass the relay and provide power to the FI pump if you have the FI wire harness in. Why not run a wire from the fuse box? You can run it off the coil too but thats not the greatest.
Geoff
DNHunt
Man Kevin I'm getting excited. Looking forward to seeing this animal. Sounds like your close.

Have you started thinking about how you'll celabrate getting it finished. Real cold one, dinner with the wife, party, champagne over the bow? From the sounds of what you've had to overcome it call for some kind occasion.

Way to go,
Dave
Bleyseng
I would go out on the road and spin the tires a few times throwing gravel everywhere. Then take the wife on a cruise with the top off. That always brings a tear to their eyes.
Geoff
rhodyguy
how will i celebrate? put in the axles. the fi harness may be the key. it's gone. i'll bite the bullet and fish a wire to the fuse panel. i read something in the past with regards to pulling the power supply for the pump off the coil while running a compufire not being the best route.

kevin
Aaron Cox
that looks a lot lime my engine biggrin.gif ...hey on your engine lid, are you running a rain tray? does it fit w/ those air cleaners? are you running Velo. stacks?
rhodyguy
acox914, here's a shot of the stacks. with the way things have been going the rain tray will mysteriously not fit. note my new "best friend" on top of the carb. confused24.gif

kevin
Aaron Cox
are you runnin velocity stack gaskets? what size carbs are those...40's or 44's?
Aaron Cox
is that a breather box? (ive seen something like that in VW mags...) also, could it be you are running CB tall manifolds and that causes your raintray not to fit?
rhodyguy
40's. correct on the breather box and v.s. gaskets. the photo is deceptive, i have 4" from the top of the air filters to the line were the r deck lid and the engine cover meet. the tops of the drain funnels are higher than the tops of the filters, the rain tray should fit ok.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin,

How's it comin. Hope to hear you're making progress

Dave
rhodyguy
dave, had to have a dead 80ft pine taken down yest. imminant danger of falling on my house or neighbors garage. will finnish splitting wood today. taking my frustrations out on a bunch of wood. my focus on the car had turned to tunnel vision. letting the otherside of my brain work for a day or 2. do one thing for me if you will. check the neg side wire (blk/purple) of your coil to a ground and see if you have continuity. i think this may be a problem. i'll get this thing figed out. thanks.

kevin
DNHunt
Ya Kevin negative side of coil continuous with ground. Mine runs through MSD box, however, I don't believe that makes a difference

Dave
rhodyguy
bingo, when i checked mine to ground my ohm meter read no continuity. since it should run to a ground i don't think your msd should make any dif. what i should have done was swap the relay panel from the wreck to the silver car, all was fine when i started it before purchase. thanks dave.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

Hold on a second. The black/purple wire in your post got me thinking. That is the tach signal and goes to the tach. The black wire goes to the fuse S9. The green wire goes to the condenser. I think I remember you saying that you put in a Compufire so the green is probably something else. Check the wiring to the Compufire I wonder if you have the wiring screwed up with that. I bet that you need to find that black wire.

Dave
Bleyseng
Black/Red is the wire that goes to terminal 15 of the coil. Usually, the red stripe is hard to see unless the plastic protection covering has been striped back or broken off.
Geoff
DNHunt
Geoff

It sure looks black to me but the your eyes are couple years younger than mine so you probably right. Whatever I know he'll get it figured out.

Dave
Brad Roberts
Did he get this done ??

NEVER pull voltage from the coil for a fuel pump. The coil needs clean voltage.

B
Bleyseng
NO, he pulled a new wire from the fuse box to provide power to the carb fuel pump. I think he is having a problem with a dead relay box so no power goes to the coil. I think this car came without a running engine, as its sitting there now in the garage. Maybe this is why it didn't run, I dunno. He is installing a recent rebuilt 2.0l with carbs so he can have a running 914.
Geoff
Porsche Rescue
The "old" engine ran fine (on two cylinders) when Kevin bought it. He got it from me and I drove it on the tow dolly when it was delivered. However, it was a fuel injected 2.0. I don't know much about the electrical stuff, but he now has a carbed engine in the car. Are there wiring changes required with the switch to carbs?
Bleyseng
Just power for the fuel pump.
Geoff
DNHunt
Kevin if you need any help this weekend I could come over on Sunday and atleast gopher. I'm out of town until Friday PM. Call me if you need me (253) 851-6447.

Dave
rhodyguy
worst case senerio i'll pull the panel out of the 72 and try that. installed a running engine into a car that ran. i have no idea how this kind of thing can happen. just pulling and installing is something i hate. thanks dave i'll be in touch if all else fails. i was hoping a "mr. wizard" would popup with the magic answer.

kevin
Bleyseng
Have you put or changed the fuses in the fuse panel? Checked the continuity on the Black/red + coil wire? Checked the bakalite connector for damage or corrosion?
I could come down and help today or Thursday. PM me with your phone #
Geoff gunner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.