Full Version: Aftermarket Tachs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I would like to see all the options. boldblue.gif
Looking for something for my SIX.

Thanks

KT
mrihop
North Hollywood Speedo can do ANYTHING you want! Check out their site....the LED lighting is way cool!

http://nhspeedometer.com/
Trekkor
I'm looking for the Sun or Auto-Meter etc shots. wink.gif

KT
john rogers
Look at the posting of my new Tijuana paint job, there is a shot of the dash in there with the Autometer tach and shiftlight.
Mark Henry
There ya go!

Even the cheapest autometer monster is the best!

Solid as a rock.

A bead of silly-cone...if you go find the right connectors not a factory wire is cut and a couple of cheap lights from Radio Shack for blinkers and highbeams.
Trekkor
That's the one... wink.gif

Any more?

KT
Aaron Cox
buy a 911 tach and go with the MSD tach adapter.... this is what i will be doing MR T
Trekkor
All the 911 tachs are old.

I'm leaning towards an Autometer.

KT
Aaron Cox
they are ugly.... keep it stock.... go with a new 911 tach (like siverson has on his 3.6) later tachs are gud....

Trekkor
So show me.

Stock? what is that? lol2.gif

KT
bd1308
dude....are the 911 tachs the same as the 914s....like are they just pluga nd go replacements....wait, wouldnt the 911 tach be confused bc of the missing 2 cylinders it expects to have to read correctly?
MattR
bd1308, trekkor has a six.

Siverson's new style tach is really sweet. Ive seen it in person. I wish I had pics, but Im sure aaron can pull those up.
Mark Henry
Trekkor has a six.

Don't know if the late 911 units are better but the expensive "monster" VDO tachs are a POS.

The Autometers sweep from the bottom, so you don't have to turn your tach upside down if you have a small steering wheel.
Add to that they move like a switch when you gear down and you know for sure your doing exactly 7500rpm, is a winner in my book.

I think it looks cool cool_shades.gif each their own I guess.
Trekkor
I think it looks cool

Me, too. wink.gif

KT
Mark Henry
About the only thing I don't like about my Autometer (about 7yrs old) is the dashlight...you can see the bulb when you look in through the drivers "vent" window.

(I know it's not a "vent" window...what's it called?)
BIGKAT_83
I've used the Autometer in my 914 V8 and they are a major improvement over the stock tachs.

I got one of these for xmas for my new LS1 powered 914. You can display 21 different things from fuel level to exhaust gas temp. All imputs programable with high and low limits that can trigger warning lights.

machina
In a last minute rush to get the car ready for a race, I had to get this autometer at the FLAPS. Fits right in the hole and is dead accurate and rock steady.

I'd like to put the guts of the autometer inside the original porsche tach one day.
ArtechnikA
i'll post a picture of mine tonight.

IMO - the 8000 rpm scale is the best unless you really think you'll be doing over that (if you haven't uprated the valve springs, not many times, i don't think ...) better resolution in the rev ranges you actually use.

the shift light is easily removable; i'll be relocating mine to the aux gauge pod where the clock isn't (to the right of the speedo).

i do have mine twisted a little so my redline is straight up, but it's not nearly as appropriate as with the stock tach and i'll probably just straighten it out again.
brant
funny looking dash but here is my tach:
Series9
Can you guys give me a part number for a Autometer tach that fits. Are they the panel-mount or pedestal-mount without the bracket.

I'm getting one for Liz because we got an MSD 6a box for her car.
Van914
Any of the Autometer's will fit in the 5" size. Summit or Jegs have the best price. I bought mine used for $100 works great!
van914
Joe Ricard
And it has a shift light.
sjhowitson
here is the only pic of mineClick to view attachment
DBCooper
I like the VDO Xtreme series, which are Autometer style "monster tachs" I think their style and fonts look more in the old Porsche-VDO style than the Autometers do. They're not as common as Autometer, are just as functional, seem to be better built, and look a bit less hot-roddy in the dash. Bonus, they also do data-logging. It's 5" and the pedestal comes off, so it fits in the dash just like the Autometer, and if you don't like the programming unit on the side of the tach there's an optional cable that lets you mount it anywhere on the dash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.