Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a Chrome shop referral
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi everyone:

Been having a bit of trouble finding a good chrome plater that does quality work.

My locks and handles are being redone by Tweet and so far we have gone through two chrome plating shops with no luck. One closed when the EPA stepped in, (thank God my parts were not there) and the other shop just did poor quality work. Again, my parts were not there either. Dan (Tweet) has been sending test parts in to see their quality first.

So, anyone have a good shop doing quality work they can refer? I want the handles and locks to look like they are new or show quality.

Thanks,
Michael
Tom_T
Michael - go to a local classic car & hot rod show, & to some TOP resto shops up there, & ask where they're having it done.

You may have to go out of state to get good quality old school chroming, due to the stricter CA enviro laws.

What you want is concours quality triple chroming (copper/nickle/chrome) - where they properly strip, clean/degrease & prepare the parts, then do multiple copper plating & work it smooth between each in as many layers of copper plating as needed to get it "baby's bum smooth" - & only then to do the nickle plate then chrome plating (usually more than 1 pass for each in top quality & multiples on copper).

If you don't find a local, then try some of the shops recco'd & advertising in the Hemmings magazines (H. Motor News, Classic Car, & Sports & Exotics). There's a top one in PA which is often touted IIRC, as well as several down in the Southeast.

Price-wise overall for total cost, you're better off doing all your parts needing chroming at once, but if it's a budget issue &/or you want a trial run for quality, then do them in smaller batches which fit your budget.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ConeDodger
McMark uses a place called Ogden chrome in Utah...
McMark
I do indeed.
Jetsetsurfshop
You should look at Brightwork's out of Ohio. My parents do some restoration projects and this is who they use. This is who the Collier Museum uses too. My mom said her contacts are Ryan or Al.
sb914
Artistic silver plating in signal hill ca.
Super high end plating 877-427-0113
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jul 1 2015, 11:09 AM) *

You should look at Brightwork's out of Ohio. My parents do some restoration projects and this is who they use. This is who the Collier Museum uses too. My mom said her contacts are Ryan or Al.

agree.gif I have not used them yet, but they were highly recommended by a local VW, Porsche and Rolls Royce restorer. He wouldn't use them if they weren't very, very good.
Cairo94507
OK, I will see what I can learn from the excellent tips. I appreciate it guys. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.