Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have a drooping headlight door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I was out checking things over making a list of things I need to get the car ready for the big trip out west. I noticed I have a drooping head hight cover. A closer inspection revealed a missing plastic bushing on the lift arm linkage. Does anyone have one they could send me? I searched the usual suppliers but didn't see any new one listed.
r_towle
Im sure i can help....

If you tell me one thing....

What type of bit did you use to mill the aluminum tranny down...It looked like a router....but I have been trying different bits for aluminum with not so good results...

A pic of the jig and bit (s) gets you free bushings...

Rich
SGB
Rich-
do you have a source for new ones?
driving.gif
rick 918-S
No smoke and mirrors. Just real scary stuff when your cutting the case off. Someplace around here I have the package from the bit. One word of caution. Don't try to use a 1/4 arbor right Larry? ohmy.gif Lucky I had my friends 3/8 arbor and a spare cutter. I purchased the cutter at the Tool Crib. The slot is for the input shaft.
rick 918-S
dnosd
r_towle
pm me your address, i will send it out tommorow...

So.......

You are using what looks like a sloting bit to what, cut the aluminum???

I have used skill saws and band saws, but the router speed is to high....I have a variable speed router table taht I can get down real low, but I get alot of chatter and the piece jumps a bit up and down.....

Are you basically sawing the housing with that bit?

Rich
bondo
It's magnesium not aluminum. It will cut nice with a carbide tipped bit and high speed. Be careful, the shavings are flammable and can't be put out with water (water actually makes it burn MUCH better).

Rick: Do you run the router around the inside or the outside of the bellhousing?
rick 918-S
First you cut through the bolt hole section, Then slip a washer into the slot, then wrap masking tape around bolts so they fit tight into the bolt holes, Slide the bolts into the holes from the tranny side as if you were installing the bolts into the block, just so the bolt/tape holds the outer piece in place. Then cut between the bolt holes.

The cut seems to work best if you score about half way through then then make the finish cut. If the cut doesn't go all the way through you will need to slid the router bit inside and the back to finish the cut.

If you want ship me a tranny and I'll cut it. It will cost you a new bit and shipping both ways.

Or bring it out to the WCC and I'll do a Demo for the group.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 24 2005, 09:11 PM)
It's magnesium not aluminum. It will cut nice with a carbide tipped bit and high speed. Be careful, the shavings are flammable and can't be put out with water (water actually makes it burn MUCH better).

Rick: Do you run the router around the inside or the outside of the bellhousing?

Where the case in thicker, I need to move inside. The case cuts like butter, but you need to go very slow. I caught a bit and bent a 1/4" arbor when we were doing Larry's. I luckly had a 3/8" spare with me or we'd have been screwed.
spare time toys
It was a little scary watching the Ninja death star shaped bit slice the case like it was butter. ninja.gif
rick 918-S
We kinda got off topic here..... I really do need a bushing for the Headlight lifting arm. Kinda need it by next weekend. I can paypal..... biggrin.gif Well really "I" can't.....(computer dork wacko.gif ) But the wife can. wub.gif
rick 918-S
Oh Ya, you can mail it to:

Rick Ollah
2328 Woodland Ave.
Duluth MN 55803

And this is a bump. The board is moving fast today and I'm out of here for a while.
rhodyguy
rich, it's unclear if you have found the item you need. how about i just send the whole actuator arm with 2 bushings? update when you have a moment.

k
rick 918-S
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2005, 07:28 AM)
rich, it's unclear if you have found the item you need. how about i just send the whole actuator arm with 2 bushings? update when you have a moment.

k

Yes,

That would be great! I need the left side. Do You have one? Do you need a pay pal? biggrin.gif
wavey.gif
I'm out the door again...
spare time toys
If your thinking about doing what I think you are thinking of doing cool_shades.gif and want to take that special part for my car along to let folks see it up close and personal.... be my guest wink.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Apr 10 2005, 11:34 AM)
If your thinking about doing what I think you are thinking of doing cool_shades.gif and want to take that special part for my car along to let folks see it up close and personal.... be my guest wink.gif

idea.gif confused24.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 10 2005, 01:49 PM)
idea.gif    :confused:  

wavey.gif rocking nana.gif driving.gif biggrin.gif burnout.gif
Joe Bob
Droopy lid?

Cialas...gives you a shit eating grin as well....
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif
rick 918-S
idea.gif icon_bump.gif
fiid
Can we get a video of you lighting the aluminium shavings afterwards??

biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Now that would be cool..... No! happy11.gif

Lets stay on topic here ladies. Anyone have the left lifting arm with bushings? Or just the bushing they can send? Kev, If you sent one can you confirm? wacko.gif biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I've got a few of them Rick. Email or pm me if you need to.
JoeSharp
Rick: I just picked-up on this this morming. Are you getting what you need? If not PM me and I'll send them out this morning.
biggrin.gif Joe
rhodyguy
i looked in pile of crap "a", no luck, and haven't got to "b" or "c" yet. so to expidite, next on the list send the item to rich. i hate it when i "organize" the parts heap, i can't find anything. go with priority mail, cheap and fast. sorry for hanging things up.

k
spare time toys
Are these the ones little plastic bushings on the ends? Let me know if they are and Ill fedex 2 day in the am. Send your address again my fileing system got messed up Barb cleaned off the desk wacko.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Apr 11 2005, 02:33 PM)
Are these the ones little plastic bushings on the ends?  Let me know if they are and Ill fedex 2 day in the am.  Send your address again my fileing system got messed up Barb cleaned off the desk wacko.gif

Thanks, Yes, Those are the ones. Thank you all! Thanks Larry! clap.gif

Rick Ollah
2328 Woodland Ave.
Duluth MN. 55803

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.