Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difference between 73/74 & 75/75 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KenH
The new GGR Points Classification System seperates the 73/74 & 75/75 2.0s.

They say:

The '73-'74s have a 21.4 lb/hp ratio

and

The '75-'76s have a 26.8 lb/hp ratio.

I cannot find any difference in the books I have.

Is there a difference between the two ??

If so what publication is in??

Thanks,

Ken
nebreitling
whoa! you're right... this is new, why did they pop this now?

21.4 vs 26.8 seems a little too far spread even after the smog equipment, poor exhaust, and extra heavy bumpers....

guess it's time to reclassify the car..
nebreitling
looks like it's just a difference in TT points -- not AX.

http://sandbox.visualproduce.com/rulcomm_c...b/cars_list.php
Reiche
The '73-'74 2.0 made 95HP to the '75-'76 88HP. As for the weight difference, the '75-'76 model had the much heavier bumpers and smoggy stuff. Calculates to 2033 lbs. for the '73-'74, 2358 lbs. for the '75-'76. Seems a tad high to me for the late model, but I've ever weighed one.

Oops. Cross post
skline
That seems backwards to me, the early had more power and should be higher than the 75/76. Something doesnt seem right.
redshift
What? Yes.

The ugly new one sucks, yes.

M
Bleyseng
The late ones have about 85lbs in 5 mph bumpers and the he's are heavier but 325lb difference, nah. I weighed mine on a truck scale with gas and it was in the 22xx range.

Its lighter now with the early bumpers, and SSI he's and Bursch muffler. Thats right, the banana oem muffler weight atleast 200lbs!

Geoff
dmenche914
what year did they add side impact door protection? It adds my guess of close to 40-50 lbs per door, them suckers are much heavier than the early doors.

So what year did they make the side impact change?
skline
That was added mid 73 to comply with saftey standards in the US.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Feb 25 2005, 07:58 AM)
what year did they add side impact door protection? It adds my guess of close to 40-50 lbs per door, them suckers are much heavier than the early doors.

So what year did they make the side impact change?

Dr 914 says 73 was the first year of the side impact doors making them more than twice as heavy, USA only.

They also had the 911 style window regulator.
Bleyseng
It was mid 73. I have seen early 73's with early doors early regulators. Early doors and late regulators. Late doors and late regulators. They just grabbed whatever parts were there and stuck them on at Karmann using up old stock, heck why waste it.

Geoff
914ghost
So, where's the HP difference?
Just the SMOG crap and a worse flowing exhaust?
7hp in a 914 is noticable but not a big fat deal really. I just bought a 76' 2.0 and was wondering this same thing.
Bob O
Root_Werks
The 914 I have now is a 10/72 car sold as a 73' of course. It has late regulators and no side beems. I haven't wieghed it, but would like to, just for reference.
Rhodes71/914
Ok I guess I should have been more specific how about early-73 starting with vin #4732900.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 25 2005, 08:34 AM)
The 914 I have now is a 10/72 car sold as a 73' of course. It has late regulators and no side beems. I haven't wieghed it, but would like to, just for reference.

Whats its VIN?
MarkV
I have 4732906003 and it has late regulators and no side beams.
MarkG
Is it possible/how difficult to remove the side beams?

I have a '76, plan on FG bumpers and early exhaust. Any additional weight savings has to be good.......
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 25 2005, 12:22 AM)
That seems backwards to me, the early had more power and should be higher than the 75/76. Something doesnt seem right.

Something isn't right--your understanding of ratios. The stated ratio is lbs/hp, not hp/lb. Higher, in this case, is worse.

You can cut the door beams out of the later doors if you can get your angle grinder inside the door. The only ones I've seen had already had the door webbing gutted; I don't think the window mechanisms were in there either.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
I don't have a door here to look at, but how much could those flimsy little bars weigh? And (again) we run into insurance liability issues .................................... The Cap'n
KenH
Dave,

The email I got from the rules guy is "lb/hp".

I do not know where he got his info.

I was hoping somebody had Porsche documentation as to what the differences are.

Ken
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 25 2005, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 25 2005, 08:34 AM)
The 914 I have now is a 10/72 car sold as a 73' of course.  It has late regulators and no side beems.  I haven't wieghed it, but would like to, just for reference.

Whats its VIN?

I would have to check on that one. If you make it up this weekend, then you'll know! biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
I was told the the side beams added 30 lbs per door. My parts car had one early door and one late door. The difference was pretty amazing. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.