Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are all stroker cranks and rods from China, ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I want do a 2258 build,but it seems all the cranks and rods are from china,any way around that,???
Mark Henry
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 4 2015, 11:20 AM) *

I want do a 2258 build,but it seems all the cranks and rods are from china,any way around that,???

The cranks that have the type one rod journals are OK, but the jury is still out on the long term wear of these cranks.
If you find an early 2000's DPR welded crank (T1 rods) they are the best for the buck.

The standard T1 CB rods modified (cleared) for T4 is the about best combo.
Cairo94507
Engine parts made in China.....that scares me. I am sure they could make quality stuff, but will/did they?
ConeDodger
Isn't DPR still building them? Jake Raby will not use Chinese parts...
stugray
You can get forged cranks, but I see only for strokers.

http://scatvw.com/master/type_iv/
Mblizzard
Check the Type 4 Store. http://type4store.com
euro911
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 4 2015, 10:08 AM) *
You can get forged cranks, but I see only for strokers.

[url=http://scatvw.com/master/type_iv/]http://scatvw.com/master/type_iv/[/url
agree.gif

I was going to recommend SCAT, but it's already been mentioned. I've been dealing with them since the early 70's ... and they're just a few miles from home (for me) smile.gif

You might give George at EMW a call to see what else is available too confused24.gif

310 644-8038
Chris914n6
All the beefy bits for Subie race trannys are made in China. There are capable factories over there if price is not your first concern.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 4 2015, 07:38 AM) *

Isn't DPR still building them?

I stopped using DPR in 2011.

Jake Raby will not use Chinese parts...

Which is why everything we do today starts at around 20K. That said, Chinese carbs work good, after we rebuild them.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 5 2015, 01:30 AM) *

Which is why everything we do today starts at around 20K. That said, Chinese carbs work good, after we rebuild them.

Ummm.... you sold my buddy a chinese crank, as part of an engine kit and said to me personally that you had been having OK results with them.

(Note The fact it was a Chinese crank was disclosed before sale)
EdwardBlume
Built in China doesn't mean anything but cheap labor and a lower cost. It depends who designs and builds the parts, do they do QC, and use the same process controls. Like most, I wish things could be built in the US, but we gave up any hope of that years ago.
flmont
I just don't like building a German or British sports car with Chinese parts,...it's UN American...LOL....BUT,.. I know times have changed ..I am tying to avoid it are the type 4 store cranks non Chinese..????

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 5 2015, 07:19 AM) *

Built in China doesn't mean anything but cheap labor and a lower cost. It depends who designs and builds the parts, do they do QC, and use the same process controls. Like most, I wish things could be built in the US, but we gave up any hope of that years ago.

Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2015, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 5 2015, 01:30 AM) *

Ummm.... you sold my buddy a chinese crank, as part of an engine kit and said to me personally that you had been having OK results with them.

(Note The fact it was a Chinese crank was disclosed before sale)

Hence one reason I sold the Type 4 Store.

We had good results with the cranks after we had to regrind/ polish and balance them right out of the box. Thats just like we have to do with Chinese carburetors, rebuild them when new.

The Chinese parts have less attention to detail on the finished product as their biggest negative.

It took the Chinese parts 15 years longer to infiltrate the Type 4 world than the Type 1. When it happened with Type 1s I stopped building them and went exclusively T4, when it happened with T4s I stopped selling parts. I still sell engines, but we have moved to a program that uses only USA made parts as I worked off my backlog of T4 work. I have two more T4 engines to build before a new era begins. Details about that once I get there and take a break for a few months.
Mueller
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 6 2015, 10:00 AM) *

I have two more T4 engines to build before a new era begins. Details about that once I get there and take a break for a few months.

Can you at least let us know if water or air cooled?

smile.gif

Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 6 2015, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 6 2015, 10:00 AM) *

I have two more T4 engines to build before a new era begins. Details about that once I get there and take a break for a few months.

Can you at least let us know if water or air cooled?

smile.gif

Aircooled, Type 4... Just a new way of selling them, that I won't be associated with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.