Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New guy introduction; also seeks advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChuckBiscuits
Hello,
Just wanted to introduce myself and to pick your (collective) brain. My name is Chuck and I live in Seattle, WA. I have been "battling" 914 lust for a couple of years now, off and on. Recently, I got a new job that came with 2 important things: a significant increase in salary and a much-abbreviated commute. These 2 factors will enable me to realize my dream of affordable German go-kart ownership.

Through Google research, I have learned that rust is a significant issue. I have familiarized myself with where to look for the red cancer, but what I'm looking for is other things to take into consideration. It seems like '73 is the "sweet spot" if one wants to keep his/her 914 stock/original. I have not ruled out a Subaru/Renegade swap. I am a welder/fabricator by trade, or was until 2 weeks ago. I'm totally comfortable with, albeit not really equipped for, building motor mounts and/or replacing rusty panels. Frankly, I'd rather do the former than the latter. I'm sure you understand.

Anyway, I'll keep this brief. Any advice or "school of hard knocks" type stuff you can offer will be greatly appreciated. For instance, spend $15k for a nice rust-free example and leave stock or buy a beater for $1k and pop in a WRX motor?

I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for any info you feel like donating!

CB welder.gif
mepstein

Buy the best car you can afford.

welcome.png
914bub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 4 2015, 06:56 PM) *

welcome.png

Best advise you'll get.Oh and bring a sharp, heavy, screwdriver.

welcome.png
ChuckBiscuits
QUOTE(914bub @ Jul 4 2015, 07:34 PM) *

welcome.png

welcome.png

To poke for rust? I like your style!
ChuckBiscuits

welcome.png

Roger that. I guess I'm sort of searching for a feel of originality vs reliability vs desecration vs collectibility. You know....

Thanks!
Cairo94507
welcome.png

That's quite a nice intro- and you have identified what I consider to be the optimal year for a stock 914 purchase.

I guess it depends on what you seek power wise. If the stock 2.0 FI motor (great engine) is all you need, I would hunt for a stock '73 appearance group car and keep it as stock as possible.

However, if you seek to modify and attain 200 HP or more and do a Subaru swap, (another terrific motor) then I would look for a clean chassis with as little rust as possible and maybe no drivetrain. Projects pop up all the time on here and you can definitely stretch your dollar going that route. Then the nice thing is everything will be as you like it and done to the level you seek.

All in all, it is just a lot of fun and you will end up with a terrific car to drive regardless of the direction you choose.

Welcome, good luck in the hunt and have fun.
bandjoey
Memorize the restoration thread! Welcome. beerchug.gif
boxsterfan
Buy the best car you afford is the best advice. Personally, I think the 74 2.0L is the best example for a car to keep stock. Perhaps I am biased...
Cairo94507
Actually, yeah - a '74 2.0 with the appearance group options definitely works too. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 4 2015, 09:56 PM) *

One day I might actually take my own advise. lol-2.gif
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
Way to many teeners have been modified, as far as I'm concerned, so I'd be looking for originality. Regardless, the best advice has already been given: buy the best one you can afford. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png

Being a welder is a good skill to have, but most people want to drive their 914. It seems like the Pac NW has people selling 914s for reasonable money every now and again. Figure out what you want, be patient, buy the color, motor, and year you want, and expect to pay a little more for it.

You can put in a WTB, but I've found that the shipping cost often eats at too much of your car budget.

Have fun and good luck! beer.gif
colingreene
buy the car Euro911 is selling, its really nice and well sorted.
Annapolis914
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jul 5 2015, 08:50 AM) *

buy the car Euro911 is selling, its really nice and well sorted.

Agreed
stevegm
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 4 2015, 09:56 PM) *

welcome.png

I concur. A dollar more spent at purchase is equal to about two or three dollars in repairs to a cheaper car.
whitetwinturbo
It's a journey........since you have more time and money decide how you wnat to finish then work backwards to get where you want to be.
914werke
....ummm, good luck finding even a beater for 1K
Oh and welcome.png
914bub
QUOTE(ChuckBiscuits @ Jul 4 2015, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Jul 4 2015, 07:34 PM) *

welcome.png

welcome.png

To poke for rust? I like your style!

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Most here will tell you, don't be gentle with the screwdriver.

I have a 73 prototype and I LOVE it,.......OK, it's a 72, non appearance group 1.7 car BUT I still love it!

Whatever you end up, have fun with it and keep the jack stands on the other side of the garage, .........as far away from the 914 as you can.
aharder
welcome.png
jsaum
Welcome! A few of us are getting together This Tuesday at 7:00pm for a beer or two at big e ales if you care to join us and meet some of the PNW crew!

Jsaum
green914
Looks like you already headed in the right direction. welcome.png
ChuckBiscuits
QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 6 2015, 09:23 AM) *

Welcome! A few of us are getting together This Tuesday at 7:00pm for a beer or two at big e ales if you care to join us and meet some of the PNW crew!

Jsaum

J,
Thanks for the kind invite. I apologize for the late reply; I've been on graveyard for a couple of weeks, so my life, sleep and hours are ALL jacked up.

Best,

CB
somd914
Original versus mods...? Hmmm, another one of those topics likes FI vs carbs, politics, and religion.

Buy what you like, do with it what you want, and enjoy it.

But either way, I agree with spending money up front on the best car you can afford.

Welcome to the World!
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png

A lot of knowledge and good guys up there in the PNW. They can steer you in the right direction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.