Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911R Tailights for 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stutgart46
Has anyone ever seen or fabricated a rear tailight treatment similar to the 911R for a 914?
Jeroen
Nope, never seen any.

I like them on a (early) 911, but I'm not sure about how they'd look on a 914

The 911 units are quite heavy (cast aluminium) so they are a nice replacement when you are looking to save weight and they have a nice "odd" look and still be "factory correct"

I feel they're priced a bit steep though... ($350 a set IIRC)
Then again, a new set of 914 lenses is even more expensive screwy.gif

The 914 units are not nearly as heavy as 911 units, so I think it would be for looks only.
Eric_Shea
I think it would be cool if the car had a period kinda look (ala. the silver 911 in Excellence this issue). Get one of Martin's gas caps. Maybe some widened steel wheels (8's and 9's) under some GT flares. The 914R the factory never built. Sounds like a Gary Emory project. I remember last year a 912R they built.
Stutgart46
Eric,
I think we are on the same page here.
I still think that Speedster version of the 914 should be done as well. Delete the wing windows and have a slightly wrap around windshield. Flared but not GT flared. Set it low down to the ground. Silver exterior with Red Leather interior. One of Jake's badass motors and go.
It would probably cost a ton of $ to build, but it would be unique.
Eric_Shea
Somebody's got to post that silver one that was in Germany... pretty close to what you're describing but... not very "vintagy" if I recall.
brant
I've been playing around with the idea of lightening the stock 914 lamp housings. Not much to be gained thou...

for that reason, I haven't tried it yet.

but had invisioned drilling 2inch holes all over the housing on the inside of the trunk.

Jeroen
Eric, I've got the pics of that German Ebay Spyder
I'll post them when I get home
boxstr
Okay here is the car I have been lusting over.
CCLIN914LUSTINTHEDUST
boxstr
I have also had an idea about the 911R tailights in the 914. Whan I went to the LA memorabilia show there was a vender there who sold the fiberglass tailight insert, then the tailight assemblies. It could be done. I will look into it further.
I have a silver 914 at CAMP that would be a great candidate for this project.
CCLINCOOLCAMP
Jeroen
yep, that's the car.
Also check www.gunnarracing.com
they have a nice spyder among their projects

BTW, the 911R taillights themselves are stock Hella parts
horizontally-opposed
I like this idea...

But I wonder what it would look like if you eliminated the wrap-around void in the bodywork (as seen from the side of the car) that accepts the stock taillight.

The you extend the indented panel for the trunk lock and badge all the way across the tail, keeping the indent on all four sides the same as the one along the bottom.

Then insert 911R Hella taillights.

Or one-up the R Gruppers with 936/917/908-style taillights, which look great in the boxy race cars. I think these are just German truck taillights...

pete
Stutgart46
That silver car is nice. I wonder what the air scoop in the trunk cools. It must be cooling the transmission.
Imagine this car if you retained the stock Targa bar (chopped a couple of inches), flare the front fenders to match the rears. I think that the steel wheels could be widened to accomodate 225/50-15's. Make it look like a progression from the 550 and 356 Speedsters. For seats you could chop the top of the stock 914 seats (I've seen that here) and remove the seat cushions and add a little padding to the bottom of the seat then cover them in Red leather. The side bolsters are great when the cushion is removed. Strip the dash of the leatherette and paint it silver. Fill in the radio and vent controls and have a solid dash, etc.
Oh well, I'm such a dreamer. rolleyes.gif
redshift
Hey, I have seen it... there is a tiny picture floating around the net... and I'd try to google it, but I have to go puke real fast.

m
Eric_Shea
Pete,

How about welding over the entire existing taillight buckets and then installing those 917/908 lights? It may be kinda Ferrari-ish. Or... I'm kinda picturing Corvair in my head... is that right? Did they look like that?

Might be way cool in a vintage outlaw way idea.gif
redshift
yes exactly.. man, puke just ain't what it used to be..

Anyways, there is a picture out there of painted lenses, with 911R ISH looking other lenses.. not the ones, but in the spirit.

I like it.

M
MattR
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 25 2005, 07:15 AM)
I remember last year a 912R they built.

Im building a 912 R right now... Im in the very early stages. BUT im not changing the tail lights or front signals because honestly I think its ugly. I know there are differing opinions, but I just dont like the look. Maybe it will be confused with another genre of car (at UCI... University of Civics and Integras), but I just dont like the look. Instead Im going with an R front bumper and fg stock rear bumper with rubber hold downs and side scripts.

BTW: The Porsche factory used FIAT tail lights on the original 911R. It saved like 10 lbs total...
Scott S
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 25 2005, 07:59 AM)
Okay here is the car I have been lusting over.
CCLIN914LUSTINTHEDUST

Holy cow is that coooooooooooooool. Do you have anymore pics - or a link?
Eric_Shea
Get any on ya Miles? barf.gif

Matt... go R. Matt go R. Matt R. MattR. MattR... you'll get there. It'll grow on ya. There's a book I have with a photo layout of an R in it. Once you leaf through that you'll want it all! Ugly lights, 100mm filler. Cool seats like the one's Miles WANTS SO BADLY w00t.gif
MattR
Well I dont think Im going to do a full R conversion. To do an R conversion I need 7" rear flares. To fill out the rear flares I need something bigger then 5.5" steel wheels and 185 tires. SO to do a real conversion I would need to buy 7" flares, install them, buy 7" fuchs, tires, and thats just too much money for a poor college kid. So Im thinking of going the cheap route. R front bumper, bumper straps, no flares, steel wheels, and stock FG rear bumper (with no chrome), and spray all that in the original Golf blue with white porsche side scripts.
redshift
Oh, I forgot to update you all on the vomit..

icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif

m
MattR
thanks, now im gonna be sick...

BACK to 911/912Rs.
Eric_Shea
Yeah.. I just about ralphed reading that one. icon8.gif

R's don't have 7" flares. They had what was the precursor to the standard 911 flare from 69 through 77. The closest thing you could do is install some of those 69-77 flares on that slab side 67. And... I think I have mine left over from my RS conversion. wink.gif
Jeroen
mo pics
Jeroen
mo pics
Jeroen
mo pics
Jeroen
mo pics
Jeroen
mo pics
Jeroen
last one...
MattR
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Feb 25 2005, 05:34 PM)
R's don't have 7" flares.

Hmm, they do according to rennspeed... atleast they're trying to sell 7" flares for the conversion. So, no need for 7" flares? Maybe a full conversion wouldnt be so bad.
TimT
I got these 911R lights, they came with LED bulbs

The lights themselves are truck clearance lights, like these they are much brighter than the Hella lamps, and inexpensive also. Make a fiberglass panel, drill holes for the LED lights, insert lamps and grommets....Viola 914R with LED brake lights
TimT
Close up of the lights. actually they look like they could be surface mounted

TimT
Spaten Optimator beer.gif

MattR
Where did you get those housings?

Now it looks really tempting to do the full R conversion. New lenses for the 911 are $$$, and mine are cracked. Not to mention its impossible to see the brake lights. Thanks for the link!
TimT
I got the 911R housing from a guy on Pelican, cant think of his name now though must be the optimators screwy.gif

I think TRE sells them also
boxstr
The guy selling or making th e911 R housing an dthe Hella lights was at eh LA Porsche VW Memorabilia swapmeet this Feb.
I don't think I got a card.
Make the fiberglass insert so that it fits right into the existing tailight mounting slot. Add the lights and easy wham bam, you can go back to stock original if you want to.
CCLIN914R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.