Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help here! Crankshaft shims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carrera916
Guys!

In process of doing the clutch job last night, lo & behold, the axial movement of the crankshaft was way out of spec and I'm in need of more shims to correct the gap.

Anyone out there can help or sell me at least 1mm worth of shims? It's not just for one engine but will be building two others as well...

I can drive 100 miles radius from Pleasanton, CA to get it this weekend as I want to finish the engine, so let me know what you got!k

Thanks,
jerry
Carrera916
Hi again,

anyone out there really have shims lying around that I can buy?

j
seanery
busy weekend, not much traffic...may have to wait til Sunday or Monday sad.gif
Mark Henry
Ummm.. does your engine still have the three shims in it... and now it needs another 1mm (whats that, about .040) worth of shims?

If this is true, umm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your trust may be shot.

When you add the shims if the crank locks up, sorry bud, but we're talking full rebuild time.
OR
Take the plugs out, from the flywheel side pull it towards you (hard) and turn. If it feels like it hits anywhere as you turn, sorry bad news.

P.S. i just noticed that the 1mm of shims is for 2 engines, so hopefully I'm wrong.
Carrera916
aahhh...I was able to locate some shims last night and playing around with the set up with an idea of reducing the axial movement as much as I can without any further problems...ahhh, no good!

mark, yes, I agreed with you an additional shim is always something to look closer...yes, it did lock indeed and I knew it's not the right way to go. I wanted to get the engine up and running for now being until the 2.0L engine becomes avialable to the owner of the car, then we'll swap engines.

Unfortunelly, the engine is not going to make it like that, I guess I'll have to bring the bad news to the owner and let him decide what he wants to do..sigh..

catch ya'll later,
j
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.