Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken outer door handle...is this fixable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
It's been dodgy for the last couple months, but it finally broke off today. Is this fixable, or do I need to find a new passenger door handle?
cpavlenko
nope, you'll have to get a new one, or used in good condition. Mine did the same thing when it was at aircooleds only. I think I got the new reproduction make at Pelican. It has worked fine for 5 years now, with no trouble. Just remember u have to use your key tumbler to put in new one.
stevegm
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 5 2015, 05:44 PM) *

It's been dodgy for the last couple months, but it finally broke off today. Is this fixable, or do I need to find a new passenger door handle?

I don't think so. I have a handle. Can't remember the condition. PM me if your interested.
stevegm
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 5 2015, 05:44 PM) *

I don't think so. I have a handle. I can't remember the condition. PM me if your interested.
markb
It can be fixed, but it's a PITA unless you know what you're doing. & the repair piece from AA isn't all that great. Get a new one. AND while you're in there, clean & lube ALL of the moving parts, on BOTH doors. It will make them last longer, and operate easier.
913B
Save you time and money, just buy a new one.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=258568
URY914
It's toast. Post a WTB.
era vulgaris
Ok, thanks guys!

This is my 2nd 914 and the 2nd one that had the passenger door handle break. I don't know what's up with that since that side gets used probably 70-80% less than the drivers side.

Also, Steve, PM sent.
TheCabinetmaker
They break because the latch mechanism which it operates hasn't been cleaned and lubed in 40 years. Remove the latch mech inside the door and clean it till it shines then lube it good. Repeat this process yearly and your outside handle might last forever.
Maltese Falcon
BDStone a member here hooked me up with a used original take-off handle. I just cleaned/lubed and had keyed. Works perfect. Check with him.
Marty Click to view attachment
URY914
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 5 2015, 03:48 PM) *

Ok, thanks guys!

This is my 2nd 914 and the 2nd one that had the passenger door handle break. I don't know what's up with that since that side gets used probably 70-80% less than the drivers side.

Also, Steve, PM sent.

As a driver you know to pull the latch gently. It doesn'ty take much force to release it. Passengers pull on the handle like they are pulling on the back door of a semi trailer. Plus with less use they get all jambed up with crap.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 6 2015, 09:41 AM) *

Ok, thanks guys!

Also, Steve, PM sent.

As a driver you know to pull the latch gently. It doesn'ty take much force to release it. Passengers pull on the handle like they are pulling on the back door of a semi trailer. Plus with less use they get all jambed up with crap.

That's kind of what I figured. I first noticed the uppermost tab had broken off a couple days after I gave a friend a ride. I knew it wouldn't be long before the bottom tab let go too.
What is it with people who don't own classic cars always slamming the hell out of the doors, yanking on the handles, and pulling on the seat belts like they're in a tug of war match? I'm always asking people who ride in my car to be gentle, and they forget after 2 minutes.
sean_v8_914
"They break because the latch mechanism which it operates hasn't been cleaned and lubed in 40 years. Remove the latch mech inside the door and clean it till it shines then lube it good. Repeat this process yearly and your outside handle might last forever."!!!!!!!

this is one of the most common (needless) repair i do. cleaning the latch will preserve the handle and the release cam .. with the door open, close the latch. then open it with either handle. the latch should briskly pop open with no help. if it does not then you are using the outer handle to yank the door open. not what its designed to do.
URY914
You should never pull on the handle. All you need is to hook your thumb under the handle and pop it open.
dangerranger01
I just went through and replaced both outside door handles because they broke. Definitely remove and clean the latch assembly when you swap out to new handles. I cleaned the snot out of mine and they worked a thousand times better. Don't forget to lube them up nice and good. I was amazed by how well they open now compared to before.

Don't forget to also lube up the door stay. Chances are they are worn out so might as well rebuild them too. I want to say 914rubber has rebuild kits...but they'll have the seals for the handles and tumblr for you (worth the extra like $10 to get that).

+1 to just use your thumb to open the door...theyll last a while that way.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 6 2015, 06:41 AM) *

Ok, thanks guys!

Also, Steve, PM sent.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.